2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

For the Jaguars, I know 2013 was supposed to be the first year of making black the primary color. However, I'm unsure if there was also news of a new design or if it just means they are wearing the current/new black jerseys as the primary.

The Jags will be getting a whole new design next year. Expect wackiness a plenty. No word if the logo will change. I expect a tweak.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Jimmy Haslam press conference:

On whether he will make any other noticeable changes to the Cleveland Browns:

Haslam: "I think short term Tony (Grossi), no. We have 10 games left. We're not going to change anything now. I think we've been very public in Cleveland that we'll look at everything except the helmet. We're going to look at the uniforms, we're going to look at the stadium, but listen, it's all about putting a really good team on the field. If you have a really good team, I don't think people care too much about your uniforms. We do want to enhance the stadium and make a great experience for the fans. What that looks like, I don't know, I'm not a stadium guy. I do know we're going to look at it because it's all about the fans."

So no logo on the Browns helmet (sigh of relief)...I'm thinking we're going to see something modern but still traditional by way of uniforms. Really wish they'd bring back the white facemask. Only thing wrong with the helmet right now.

this new owner sounds like he thinks there's some huge financial opportunity to exploit the browns...granted I don't live in the midwest but don't the browns already have a ridiculously loyal fan base? is the team having revenue issues?..honestly they are never going to be one of the marquee nfl brands as that slate is full...I guess they could try to compete with new orleans as one of the teams of the moment which would get them more national tv time but the easiest thing to do there is simply win. I'd be curious to hear a fan's take.

Haslam: "I think short term Tony (Grossi), no. We have 10 games left. We're not going to change anything now. I think we've been very public in Cleveland that we'll look at everything except the helmet. We're going to look at the uniforms, we're going to look at the stadium, but listen, it's all about putting a really good team on the field. If you have a really good team, I don't think people care too much about your uniforms. We do want to enhance the stadium and make a great experience for the fans. What that looks like, I don't know, I'm not a stadium guy. I do know we're going to look at it because it's all about the fans."

So no logo on the Browns helmet (sigh of relief)...I'm thinking we're going to see something modern but still traditional by way of uniforms. Really wish they'd bring back the white facemask. Only thing wrong with the helmet right now.

this new owner sounds like he thinks there's some huge financial opportunity to exploit the browns...granted I don't live in the midwest but don't the browns already have a ridiculously loyal fan base? is the team having revenue issues?..honestly they are never going to be one of the marquee nfl brands as that slate is full...I guess they could try to compete with new orleans as one of the teams of the moment which would get them more national tv time but the easiest thing to do there is simply win. I'd be curious to hear a fan's take.

The Browns do have a loyal fanbase, pretty much have to be to deal with the crap they've been fed over the years. I grew up a Jets fan, but after 5 years of college and now living in Cleveland I've slowly converted over to the Browns. I agree though, the best way for Haslam to make money is for the team to get good. That will get more people interested in Cleveland...hell I am sure there are some "Steeler fans" in this area that would jump back on the Browns bandwagon. I've seen it happen back in NJ with the Jets...they get good and if the Giants are having a bad year, the Manning jersey goes to the back of the closet and the Sanchez jersey comes out.

What I have heard from most fans (uniforms surprisingly have come up in conversation a lot since Haslam was announced as the new owner) is that as long as he doesn't touch the helmet, they are cool with updates to the uniform.However, there really isn't much they can do if they keep the classic striping style on the helmet...can't go with modern looking stripes and markings on the uniform and then keep the classic stripe on the helmet. Personally, I'd be ok with the Browns going the route Bowling Green went...modern tapered stripe, matte helmet (still wondering when that trend will make it to the NFL)...still looks classy though:

bowling_green_football_uniforms.jpg

Bowling-Green-s-Travis-Greene-picks-up-a-first-down.jpg

The stadium can use some upgrades in the game presentation area...I finallly got to my first Browns game last week, before that my only NFL games had been Jets games at Giants Stadium and Met Life. The one major noticeable difference is how small the video boards are at Cleveland Browns stadium after watching games at MetLife. I was in one of the corners of the endzone...so the closest board was at too extreme of an angle to see, and the other one I had to squint to really see clearly.

70389454.png

I would personally love to see a throwback of this Jets set.

tumblr_lvcue3jhi91qin7uco1_500.jpg

Those were some of the blandest, most boring uniforms ever.

The uniforms are not the greatest, but I love that helmet and anything is better than seeing their current jersey in 3 shades of green (cough..cough Sweat Stains).

spacer.png

Joe Banner is really running things there, so just look at anything the Eagles have done since 1996 for a model of what might be in store for the Browns.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The uniforms are not the greatest, but I love that helmet and anything is better than seeing their current jersey in 3 shades of green (cough..cough Sweat Stains).

If the Jets introduce throwbacks, they'll have the same sweat-panel problem.

The amazing thing about the 70s/80s/90s Jets logo is that even though it is approaching 40 years old now, it still looks sleek and modern.

1. orange pants
  2. make the orange more orange
  3. number outline

4. White Facemask

70389454.png

Not if they choose to use the old design from Reebok like the Packers did. I don't see the different shades of green on their Nike uniform

301907-aaron-rodgers.jpg

spacer.png

The Browns do have a loyal fanbase, pretty much have to be to deal with the crap they've been fed over the years. I grew up a Jets fan, but after 5 years of college and now living in Cleveland I've slowly converted over to the Browns. I agree though, the best way for Haslam to make money is for the team to get good. That will get more people interested in Cleveland...hell I am sure there are some "Steeler fans" in this area that would jump back on the Browns bandwagon. I've seen it happen back in NJ with the Jets...they get good and if the Giants are having a bad year, the Manning jersey goes to the back of the closet and the Sanchez jersey comes out.

What I have heard from most fans (uniforms surprisingly have come up in conversation a lot since Haslam was announced as the new owner) is that as long as he doesn't touch the helmet, they are cool with updates to the uniform.However, there really isn't much they can do if they keep the classic striping style on the helmet...can't go with modern looking stripes and markings on the uniform and then keep the classic stripe on the helmet. Personally, I'd be ok with the Browns going the route Bowling Green went...modern tapered stripe, matte helmet (still wondering when that trend will make it to the NFL)...still looks classy though:

The stadium can use some upgrades in the game presentation area...I finallly got to my first Browns game last week, before that my only NFL games had been Jets games at Giants Stadium and Met Life. The one major noticeable difference is how small the video boards are at Cleveland Browns stadium after watching games at MetLife. I was in one of the corners of the endzone...so the closest board was at too extreme of an angle to see, and the other one I had to squint to really see clearly.

I'm not saying going the BG route is a bad idea, because I love orange, but the criticism will be the same that the Red Sox faced when they got their new road set and used blue as the primary accent color: why aren't they wearing their true "color"? Shouldn't the Browns wear, you know, brown?

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

For the Jaguars, I know 2013 was supposed to be the first year of making black the primary color. However, I'm unsure if there was also news of a new design or if it just means they are wearing the current/new black jerseys as the primary.

The Jags will be getting a whole new design next year. Expect wackiness a plenty. No word if the logo will change. I expect a tweak.

I remember reading a few weeks ago to expect "Oregon on steroids" for the Jags' new unis.

I'd love to see the Jets so something anything with their patchwork uniforms. Thanks to Reebok (and now Nike) mailing it in year after year with the Colts jersey template, what was once a great looking design, has now become the most butchered look in the league. The sleeves are a goddamn wreck!

011511_scott.jpg

I'd say considering its been 2 different manufactures that have screwed it up, it may not be Reebok/Nike that's mailing it in...

I'd love to see the Jets so something anything with their patchwork uniforms. Thanks to Reebok (and now Nike) mailing it in year after year with the Colts jersey template, what was once a great looking design, has now become the most butchered look in the league. The sleeves are a goddamn wreck!

011511_scott.jpg

I'd say considering its been 2 different manufactures that have screwed it up, it may not be Reebok/Nike that's mailing it in...

It absolutely is them mailing it in. First off, they need to move a way from the Colt-like triple stripe insert. It doesn't work for them anymore. Look at the sleeve portion that ends above the Reebok logo. Take off the stripes next to it. Put a single green stripe approximately where the middle white stripe currently is, and have it follow the contour of the sleeve, truncating at the bottom of the armhole. The manufacturers have mailed it in because they don't do that simple fix. They don't do it because it would cost pennies more than what they currently spend to make uniforms and make them deviate from their templates.

But if you're implying it's the Jets' fault, you are right on that, too. They should have stepped up around 2005 when the stripes started getting really bad and told Reebok to fix it. They shouldn't have gone with the freaking Nike template when it had three distinct shades of green and their actual shade only appears on the shoulder stripe.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not if they choose to use the old design from Reebok like the Packers did. I don't see the different shades of green on their Nike uniform

301907-aaron-rodgers.jpg

Why would the Jets insist on a custom configuration (like the Packers did) for their throwbacks when they didn't for their primary uniforms?

011511_scott.jpg

It absolutely is them mailing it in. First off, they need to move a way from the Colt-like triple stripe insert. It doesn't work for them anymore. Look at the sleeve portion that ends above the Reebok logo. Take off the stripes next to it. Put a single green stripe approximately where the middle white stripe currently is, and have it follow the contour of the sleeve, truncating at the bottom of the armhole. The manufacturers have mailed it in because they don't do that simple fix. They don't do it because it would cost pennies more than what they currently spend to make uniforms and make them deviate from their templates.

But if you're implying it's the Jets' fault, you are right on that, too. They should have stepped up around 2005 when the stripes started getting really bad and told Reebok to fix it. They shouldn't have gone with the freaking Nike template when it had three distinct shades of green and their actual shade only appears on the shoulder stripe.

I am in agreement but that bart scott jersey looks like it had some serious after-market alterations done by the team tailor.

I'm not saying going the BG route is a bad idea, because I love orange, but the criticism will be the same that the Red Sox faced when they got their new road set and used blue as the primary accent color: why aren't they wearing their true "color"? Shouldn't the Browns wear, you know, brown?

I'd want the jersey to stay brown, I'm talking about looking at BG for the helmet...modern tapered stripe, maybe jump on the matte helmet bandwagon, etc. I wouldn't be opposed to them adding an orange alt jersey again though.

70389454.png

Subtle would be fine. Bowling Green looks like a mid-major college team, which I suppose is what they should look like. The Browns would look terrible if they tried to tailor their look to be anything close to BG. The helmet is fine (with a white facemask). The uniforms are mostly fine, just a few tweaks are needed, such as bringing back the brown striped socks and wearing brown at home fulltime. Come up with a logo, absolutely. Just don't do anything substantial on the uniforms because it's not needed. Oh, and bring back the '80s-'90s wordmark. The current generic block font blows.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived