2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Is it grey or gray?

From Grammarist.com...

"Gray vs. grey

Gray and grey are different spellings of the same word, and both are used throughout the English-speaking world. But gray is more common in American English, while grey is more common in all the other main varieties of English. In the U.K., for instance, grey appears about twenty times for every instance of gray. In the U.S. the ratio is reversed."

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably nothing, but the Lions have black pants this training camp:

tempphoto09-072813--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

While the Lions have used black shorts in the past, whenever they've gone with pants, they've always been silver:

Calvin+Johnson+Detroit+Lions+Training+Camp+z2YEh8dezb1x.jpg

Just something to keep on eye on...

Black and Honolulu Blue look so good together. Not with the silver lid, though.

Black shoes disappear into the background, white draw attention to the players' feet. Black shoes look sleeker, while white give even the most athletic man a pair of monstrous clodhoppers.

I always thought the opposite.

Weird.

I think of Black shoes along the lines of old men who wear White socks with Black shoes. Truly horrific.

If they wear Black shoes, then Black socks. White shoes - White socks.

Black socks with white shoes seems OK to me. Never white socks with black shoes, however.

What I don't get about the black shoe factions is that people want all historical teams to wear black shoes because that's what was worn in the sixties, but people also want awful new uniformed teams like the Seahawks to wear black because it's sleek and aggressive or whatever crap. If they're retro, don't they look out of place for the Seahawks? They can't be both retro and modern.

Well, you'll need to find somebody who actually argues both positions before we can really address that.

I don't know for sure that anybody in particular uses both justifications, but it seems strange that polar opposites both see their desired qualities in black shoes. As for the other thing you said, I agree with Colorwerx. Black shoes really stick out under white socks, and as I have said before, I think the NFL needs to strictly enforce rules to keep its 60+ year aesthetic tradition of white sock bottoms alive. To me, it doesn't look like a football uniform when players wear solid-color socks.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I wonder if the Lions testing are testing prototype football pants for Nike. Most Nike prototype products (clothing, shoes, etc.) that are worn in practice are all black with no markings.

Also, it's interesting that the pants appear to be somewhat shiny and not matte like all teams wore last year. Maybe some teams complained about the matte pants and Nike is testing a new type of fabric?

Just guesses.

I wonder if the Lions testing are testing prototype football pants for Nike. Most Nike prototype products (clothing, shoes, etc.) that are worn in practice are all black with no markings.

Also, it's interesting that the pants appear to be somewhat shiny and not matte like all teams wore last year. Maybe some teams complained about the matte pants and Nike is testing a new type of fabric?

Just guesses.

Very, very interesting idea about the shiny pants.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Those jags uniforms don't look half bad on that video but those helmets completely destroy the set. All they need is a matte black or their original lid and they would be a really good set. I think if Jacksonville actually had a huge fan base they could pressure them into changing but seeing as they have a quarter of their stadium tarped I think we all will have to suffer for at least 5-6 years until they go black and gold chrome

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2012

Jacksonville was 20th in attendance last year. So 12 teams had less fans per game then they did. Thats a 2-14 team too. The reason they have tarps is because the stadium was built to host the FL/GA game every year and there is not enough population to fill all the seats. The stadium capacity would be in the top 3rd of the league in the 2nd smallest market. The Jaguars haven't had a blackout since 2009 but nice try. Tarps will have zero to do with the helmets.

Sellout on paper is one thing filling those seats that someone bought to avoid blackouts is another as well as the jags constantly being talked about in relocation shows that the fan base is not as strong as you believe. Either way my opinion is like others an all black lid would make these unis good not great and I also believe that going back to the original or the ones right after that would be 100 times better than the last two! http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1267815-jaguars-moving-to-los-angeles-could-mean-divisional-realignment

I wont bother trying to defend the future of the Jaguars in Jacksonville any longer in this thread it is the same old same old about them moving to London or LA. Its not going to happen. I do 100% agree with you on the all black helmet. I think the rest of the uniform is great.

Had hopes the Seahawks would tweak their white and grey pant stripes along with their white jersey shoulders to mirror their blue uniforms incorporating the lime green to balance the overall look. Also would have been nice if they would "darken" the grey pants a smig..........Can anyone photoshop ??????

seahawksgreen.png

I'd actually suggest going the other way. Remove the green outline from the numerals and leave the pants as they are now. Love the sparse use of the neon green (seen on their previous set). The outline around the numerals is too much/weak.

This was a great uniform matchup, best out of Seattle's new set. Really :censored:ty game to go to though :(

Teams with black in their scheme should wear black shoes, but if they don't I'd prefer to see them in white shoes with team color accents.

I disagree. I dislike black shoes in general; I think they're clunky and look awkward. I really like that the Steelers and Raiders have held out and not jumped to black shoes, and I think the Bears, Colts and Packers both look worse with black shoes.

What I don't get about the black shoe factions is that people want all historical teams to wear black shoes because that's what was worn in the sixties, but people also want awful new uniformed teams like the Seahawks to wear black because it's sleek and aggressive or whatever crap. If they're retro, don't they look out of place for the Seahawks? They can't be both retro and modern.

color is subjective and comes with multiple connotations. sometimes contradictory depending on application. but black is the one color that is as modern as it is classic. it can both complete a traditional design (colts) or compliment a modern one (seahawks). personally, i dont believe you can ever go wrong with black

Generally what Goth said is true. Black makes objects look smaller and i like the look of a black shoe with white sick because you see the seperation of foot and leg. White with white makes the player look like he has huge feet from a distance.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

There are several other threads dedicated to the Jaguars' situation - would be better to take that there.

I was just trying to point out that situations where the fans were not happy with a logo or uni that their team came out with has gotten scrapped and ownership look at a different approach or just revert back to the one that was supposed to be replaced and that if only Jacksonville had that then maybe we all would be blessed with a black helmet. As for all that other junk I could care less whether they stay or go as long as they stay below the texans in the afc south!

There are several other threads dedicated to the Jaguars' situation - would be better to take that there.

Then can we please move the grey facemask debate (which has come up multiple times in this very thread) and the new-to-this-thread shoe debate elsewhere as well? I honestly check this thread right here regularly for actual updates and developments as far as NFL uniforms go, and the hoo-haw about the Jags fanbase and what shoes look better with which socks is very annoying to see here.

as long as they stay below the texans in the afc south!

That explains a lot

Just guesses.

those are practice pants only....they will still be wearing the silver pants for games

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Just guesses.

those are practice pants only....they will still be wearing the silver pants for games

Clearly did not read

Just guesses.

Yea that makes a lot of sense...Almost all the teams who wanted to keep the shiny quality of their jerseys opted out of at least the pants from Nike. Raiders, Bucs, I know did at least. I wonder if they cracked the code on Midnight Green, I assume they are working on it or a new color....I know the matte look was a rumor about why the eagles didn't switch over.

Grey really isn't a color. I really don't want to get into that argument, but it really isn't.

Yes, it really is.

I get that black and gray are not true colors. But this isn't a physics classroom, and in the real human world, in textile terms and pigments, we somehow make do.

3117EI-EbqL.jpg

You could say the same thing about black, but I don't think anyone here would buy the argument that the Falcons' colors are red and white or the Nets' are just white. Heck, we could make an argument that the Raiders don't actually have any team colors at all.

I think you know what I'm getting at in regards to the neutrality of grey and white in this case. You just don't agree with my argument, which is fine...but to almost pretend like its totally baseless is silly. There is some merit to what I am saying, and it has been mentioned many times before on this board.

I actually was addressing your argument. I thought you were talking about color theory, which indeed suggests that black (and shades of gray) aren't what are known as "true colors".

But that's physics. If what you meant to say is that gray can't be a team color because it's seen as too neutral, then I most strongly disagree.

Archived