2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Your double posting is a travesty.

I don't mind that colored strip. It adds a little life to a plain sock. I'm not some sock stripe nazi. I don't mind solid colored socks that contrast against the pants color. I just don't consider it a stripe. Similarly, on the Bucs jersey, I don't consider that black faux cuff a stripe. Of course these are just my opinions.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your double posting is a travesty.

Why? I used different posts to address different arguments and different people.

The quotes have been messed up for over a week. I would've contained it all in one post like I used to, but this way is easier now.

I don't mind that colored strip. It adds a little life to a plain sock. I'm not some sock stripe nazi. I don't mind solid colored socks that contrast against the pants color. I just don't consider it a stripe. Similarly, on the Bucs jersey, I don't consider that black faux cuff a stripe. Of course these are just my opinions.

So it's a colored strip, but it's not a stripe? Got it. If you want to look up the definition of stripe the dictionary sides with me.

I like the new stripe on the Chargers' socks. You're missing my point. Bergan has 500 posts about why socks with stripes are unfashionable, but I'm looking at a striped sock introduced in 2013 (the Dolphins road socks are also striped BTW). It's a contemporary stripe, but it's a striped sock.

PvO6ZWJ.png

tempSEAvsSD_080813__286--nfl_mezz_1280_1

I like the changes, but at the end of the day it's just lipstick on a pig. The powder blue highlights and the yellow still mush together to look greenish at a distance. They need to choose a blue, powder or navy (I don't care at this point) and just run with it. The number font still looks forced, the unnecessary wordmark is still present under the collars, the should bolts still look inferior to the previous over the shoulder look, and the wavy bolts on the pants are still ridiculous looking. The tweaks were all upgrades, but they weren't enough. If they just tweak the uniform one or two elements at a time the Chargers could end up looking decent again by 2018.

It doesn't completely expunge the problems with this set, but it places more emphasis on yellow over light blue so they're not sharing equal space anymore.

The majority of fans want classic Chargers powder blue to make a comeback.

Key word. Classic. The powder blue throwbacks are what everyone wants to see return...

chargers_zpsfcc2294d.jpg

Not this clown suit...

ladainian-thompson-light-blue_122_zpsb2c

The latter has all the problems the current set does. It's close enough that if they ever used it as the primary uniform fans would go along with it for a bit, but if given the choice the Chargers faithful would choose the truly classic look.

Also I see dennisbergan is back in time for NFL season. How tedious.

Custom facemasks have been banned, unless needed for medical purposes.

Lame. I can think of plenty of reasons someone would need a completely full bar mask. Most of them being not getting my fingers bitten off by another player and not having my nose picked/broke from another player. The bottom of those piles can get dirty.

Is that really a concern? You would think that if players got their fingers bitten or noses broken in the bottom of piles, we would hear about it routinely. Plus, we're talking about the big hands of NFL players here - a mask like Joe Thomas's or Ryan Clady's provides basically as much protection to the nose/eyes from prying fingers as one of those douchey "freight train" ones.

joex-large.jpg20130708_040236_ryan-clady-broncos-07081

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

So are the brown striped socks making a comeback this year?

Below is a screen grab from the recent NFL.com Fantasy Football Commercial. Notice that Richardson is wearing the orange and white striped brown socks. It is this year's uniform as you can tell from the removal of the AL on the left sleeve. It is not the throwback either as that does not have the shoulder/TV numbers and also has skinnier stripes on the pants.

wG9lPQu.jpg

Below is a screen grab from the recent NFL.com Fantasy Football Commercial. Notice that Richardson is wearing the orange and white striped brown socks. It is this year's uniform as you can tell from the removal of the AL on the left sleeve. It is not the throwback either as that does not have the shoulder/TV numbers and also has skinnier stripes on the pants.

wG9lPQu.jpg

I hope they wear those socks, but in their first preseason game they were solid brown so I'd venture to say that was just for the commercial.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not this clown suit...

ladainian-thompson-light-blue_122_zpsb2c

The latter has all the problems the current set does. It's close enough that if they ever used it as the primary uniform fans would go along with it for a bit, but if given the choice the Chargers faithful would choose the truly classic look.

Also I see dennisbergan is back in time for NFL season. How tedious.

Oh, lord. I agree with you, that last Chargers set is just plain awful.

wG9lPQu.jpg

The AL looks like it's there.

Custom facemasks have been banned, unless needed for medical purposes.

Lame. I can think of plenty of reasons someone would need a completely full bar mask. Most of them being not getting my fingers bitten off by another player and not having my nose picked/broke from another player. The bottom of those piles can get dirty.

Is that really a concern? You would think that if players got their fingers bitten or noses broken in the bottom of piles, we would hear about it routinely. Plus, we're talking about the big hands of NFL players here - a mask like Joe Thomas's or Ryan Clady's provides basically as much protection to the nose/eyes from prying fingers as one of those douchey "freight train" ones.

joex-large.jpg20130708_040236_ryan-clady-broncos-07081

I'm pretty sure this rule was to put a stop to aftermarket mask companies that are basically adding custom welds to existing riddell or schutt masks and passing them off as new products. I think it has very little to do with the designs themselves as the exoticTuck/Canty designs are both done by schutt so it shouldn't make any difference who could wear those designs. I'm pretty sure some variation of the those two designs are actually now available as stock masks from schutt/riddell.

The real issue would be that a company that has very little experience in football equipment could effectively pass off an exotic looking design relatively easily without getting the mask certified and approved through the proper channels which poses a huge liability and safety issue.

wG9lPQu.jpg

Ummm no it isn't. The AL is outlined in brown and would be much more visible if it were there...

mens-nike-cleveland-browns-customized-li

wG9lPQu.jpg

Ummm no it isn't. The AL is outlined in brown and would be much more visible if it were there...

mens-nike-cleveland-browns-customized-li

Not that visible. Could still be it. Besides, in the commercial, Demaryius Thomas was wearing last year's jersey too. So it could just be that since the commercial was filmed a while ago.

weeden-pocket-horiz-jgjpg-05cdd9bff860e0

I welcome those socks if they do use them.

Go A's!

Multiple color combinations can work, but never look as good to my eye.

I'll even take things like the Giants old pants, which although gray still manage to reference the helmet with its red-stripe-on-blue:

Eli+Manning+Buffalo+Bills+v+New+York+Gia

I just love that sense of balance.

I liked the idea of those pants but they tended to just look pinkish/purplish on tv, which is why I like the switch they made.

I actually am a fan of the chargers uniforms and like the tweaks they made.

I'm also a fan of the "leotard" look. With that being said I wish more teams had white striped socks like the ravens and falcons used to have.

The texans would look awesome with white on navy with white socks with stripes on them.

I don't even count that little tiny yellow outline as a "striped sock". Just like I don't count the Broncos little orange outline on their solid navy socks either as a "striped sock". So I don't have to eat anything.

BTW, 3 more teams changed uniforms in 2013 and nobody added a striped sock. I guess they didn't get the memo that some dorks at Creamer's site think striped socks are dope and in fashion.

You still have the garish looking Redskins, Chiefs, Bears and Bills circa 1970's sockwear to keep your juices flowing. And good for them. They've held out for a long time and all have very 'traditional' looks (or tired, if you will). As I have always said, its good to have variety. Not everyone has to be a traditional uniform. Not everyone has to dump the terlet-seat collars that bother so many here. Not everyone has to have block numbers and grey facemasks. With some here, you'd think everyone has to look the same and nobody dare look a little bit innovative. Its why Jacksonville's look will never work with many here. Just like anything Oregon has done won't work either. Some people hate change and hate anything that dares to look different then the other kids. Its Jacksonville, for gosh sakes. They need to be known for something.

Also, Dennisbergan, add another team to the list of teams wearing the very "unfashionable" sock stripes. Eat it.

i dont agree with everything this cat says (more often than not i do, though) but he's my favorite member of the forum :D

If you haven't seen the Chargers, here's a look. Differences; stripe on the bottom of the sock, half collar gone, and gold nameplate.

Big upgrade. It doesn't completely expunge the problems with this set, but it places more emphasis on yellow over light blue so they're not sharing equal space anymore. The Chargers are now a navy and yellow team with light blue accents, which looks better than what they've been, a navy-yellow-light blue team.

Also, Dennisbergan, add another team to the list of teams wearing the very "unfashionable" sock stripes. Eat it.

Yellow pants will help

Yellow pants would be a beauty and would greatly help this travesty of a uniform.

Not in the slightest. A combo of white / navy / yellow would not look good.

Football symmetry goes like this; Helmet & Pants same color : Jersey & Socks same color. Bonus points for jersey and socks using same striping.

Furthermore, the symmetry continues with Helmet, Jersey & Socks same color, Pants white or secondary team color. Again, bonus points for jersey and socks using same striping.

ugh, aesthetic laws? boring!

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

If you haven't seen the Chargers, here's a look. Differences; stripe on the bottom of the sock, half collar gone, and gold nameplate.

Definitely an upgrade, but I think a dark helmet would work better with the dark jerseys. I think the white helmet looks good with the powder blues. The additional gold in the current uniform improves the look.

I think the Dolphins now have the dullest uniforms in the league. :(

The Jags look like court jesters. Jacksonville's uniforms and helmet are arguably an NFL worst.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Well if you don't count it that's awfully convenient for you, but it's a stripe on a sock so it's legally a striped sock.

An awful lot of teams are wearing sock stripes, a uniform item which you crusade as being the ultimate sign of outdated uniforms. At a certain point you're going to have to accept that these things aren't going away because it's far more likely that they return to fashion. What're you going to say when they do come back into style since you're the arbiter of what is and isn't cool? Will you accept them then

Bam.

sox_zpsa4cc693c.png

Archived