2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dolphins1.jpg?w=642&h=154

I don't understand how anyone with a sense of design can say that the left 3 are the best logos in Dolphins history.

The one the have now is, frankly, perfect. It's a great modernization of the classic look.

I couldn't agree more. The rumored change is borderline depressing.

Related story: My son is nine and is into sports logos and chose his first NFL Mini Helmet for Christmas. I did nothing to influence his decision, and he chose the Dolphins. I had to agree with him that it was one of the best helmet designs in the league. I won't dare tell him there are changes in the making, until I have to.

The Dolphin is centered on the sun. The sun will be centered on the helmet and it will not be small. Dolphins tail wraps around the back of helmet. Also, don't be surprised if their is a reduction of helmet stripes or no stripes at all...........

The dolphin isn't centered on the sun. The tail portion sticks out significantly father than does the nose portion. We know the look will be "throwback inspired," so I doubt they remove or shrink the stripes just to fit a terrible logo.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Dolphin is centered on the sun. The sun will be centered on the helmet and it will not be small. Dolphins tail wraps around the back of helmet. Also, don't be surprised if their is a reduction of helmet stripes or no stripes at all...........

The dolphin isn't centered on the sun. The tail portion sticks out significantly father than does the nose portion. We know the look will be "throwback inspired," so I doubt they remove or shrink the stripes just to fit a terrible logo.

The Dolphin IS centered on the sun. Just as much as previous old logo are centered with the three fins focused as the center point. The tail portion does not stick out any further on the new logo as in the logos from the past. Look again.......Tail looks longer as it swoops to the back and up rather than downward.

I don't understand how anyone with a sense of design can say that the left 3 are the best logos in Dolphins history.

:rolleyes:

The three on the left are outdated illustrations, but that doesn't make the one on the far right any better. The one the have now is, frankly, perfect. It's a great modernization of the classic look.

Correction: It's a 90's-ization of the look.

If that was the case the dolphin would have fingerless gloves, sunglasses, "attitude," and some sort of radical gradient.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yes, the tail swoops. However, it still sticks out farther than the nose. If you can't see that the far tip of the tail is further from the outside of the sun than the nose is, I don't know what to tell you.

So are 3 of the other logos, are they not centered ?

Easy...because the two on the right evoke ZERO feelings or emotions. It's just...there.

Feelings? Emotions? I can't even make out any of that with the first three.

Nailed it.

The two on the right are over-colored, and over-designed. That's no good in my book.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Slightly OT: I think this interesting (ignore the subliminal advertising):

http://www.nfl.com/v...Dolphins-colors

Easy...because the two on the right evoke ZERO feelings or emotions. It's just...there.

All I'm going to say is celebrate the past, but move towards the future.

Well, the future of, say, the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers looks bright, while the future of the Dolphins and Seahawks looks like a s**tshow. Teams should learn to design with SUBSTANCE in mind, not flash or pizzaz.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

So you're saying that the Bucs, Eagles, Patriots, Broncos logos(which are really good) aren't good because they're from the same time? They all replaced an outdated hand-drawn logo with a modern logo done on the computer.

On the computer? I gaurantee you every one of those started as a hand drawn concept. Show me a logo that was desined start to finish on a computer, and 9 out of ten times, I'll show you a crappy logo.

Feelings? Emotions? I can't even make out any of that with the first three.

Nailed it.

The two on the right are over-colored, and over-designed. That's no good in my book.

Cannot buy that. The three on the left are pale and overdrawn (too detailed for a logo), the 2nd from the right (current) is far and away better than their earlier logos. it retains the core elements of the older hand-drawn logo but has the finish and minimalization needed for an iconic logo. The new one is not horrible, if it were for a new team I would say it is well-done, but it is still a downgrade from the current logo.

So you're saying that the Bucs, Eagles, Patriots, Broncos logos(which are really good) aren't good because they're from the same time? They all replaced an outdated hand-drawn logo with a modern logo done on the computer.

On the computer? I gaurantee you every one of those started as a hand drawn concept. Show me a logo that was desined start to finish on a computer, and 9 out of ten times, I'll show you a crappy logo.

Your challenge: look through Field Theory Sports Branding, Fraser Davidson's online portfolio (well one of them, anyway), and see what you find. He's long been able to go concept to completion entirely on the computer.

Oh and...I'll take the under. B)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I never said that they weren't hand drawn first. Just done on a computer at some point.

Your challenge: look through Field Theory Sports Branding, Fraser Davidson's online portfolio (well one of them, anyway), and see what you find. He's long been able to go concept to completion entirely on the computer.

Oh, sure, I've seen Davidson's work here a lot, and I agree it's nice. But, first I'd say I'd very surprised to find out that he doesn't draw/sketch/thumbnail his ideas out at some point of the process, and second, if he doesn't then he is one of the exceptions that proves the rule. (That's why I said 9 out of 10)

I teach beginning 2D Design for incoming freshman at a college for art and design, and it is amazing and frustrating how many of these kids come to art school with no ability to draw, and worse, no idea why that's a problem. If your not very careful, the computer becomes a crutch instead of a tool. If you can't visualiize how 3D objects translate into 2D images, and just count on a machine to make that leap for you, you're sunk.

End of grumpy old painter's rant.

Oh, sure, I've seen Davidson's work here a lot, and I agree it's nice. But, first I'd say I'd very surprised to find out that he doesn't draw/sketch/thumbnail his ideas out at some point of the process, and second, if he doesn't then he is one of the exceptions that proves the rule. (That's why I said 9 out of 10)

I teach beginning 2D Design for incoming freshman at a college for art and design, and it is amazing and frustrating how many of these kids come to art school with no ability to draw, and worse, no idea why that's a problem. If your not very careful, the computer becomes a crutch instead of a tool. If you can't visualiize how 3D objects translate into 2D images, and just count on a machine to make that leap for you, you're sunk.

End of grumpy old painter's rant.

Oh I agree. And I have no idea how Fraser does it—dude's just on some other level. That he is even able to sketch out rough ideas in vector is almost otherwordly, much less proceed through the entire progression without touching pencil to sketchpad. But yes, your point remains...without an intimate understanding of the basic principles of drawing, illustration, 2D and 3D principles, most ships would be sunk before they ever pulled up their anchors.

I deal with it myself—I've never been the best sketch artist in the world, but yet and still I still like to try. My main issue deals with lights/shadows in the digital world, as my current project is reminding me. Eventually I'll get it, and Fraser's tutorials—I still have most of them saved—help a great deal.

Anyway, back to the Dolphins... :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived