2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More directed at old school saying logos designed solely on the computer are crap. That's rediculous. There are just as many crapy logos designed with pencil and pad and plenty of talented designers use the computer programs exclusively.

This. Listen to guys like Pat. He is immensely talented AND experienced enough to have worked with enough talented people to know there will never be a "correct" way to design, as long as the final product is able to be realized in modern distribution. I have never met a visionary creative that deals in absolutes. Question anyone who does.

True enough. My initial rant had more to do with dealing with too many 18 and 19 year olds who think they already know everything they need to know, and what I see as an overall degradation in drawing skills brought on by over dependence on the computer. As I seem to do on these boards occasionally, I’m sure I overstated my point. As you and pcgd say, a professional in the field will find what works for them and do that. However, I would still be very surprised to find out there is an interesting and successful designer working at a high level with no drawing skills. (of course, I've been wrong before :P )

Here's my 2-minute tweak of your design of how I think it should look...

dolphins_zps79679b62.png

Anyone else wanna take a stab at it?

This is looking better and better. More "Dolphins" to my eye.

Putting too many random markings on the dolphin just screams "orca" to me for some reason.

marineland_logo.gif

Here's my 2-minute tweak of your design of how I think it should look...

dolphins_zps79679b62.png

Anyone else wanna take a stab at it?

This is looking better and better. More "Dolphins" to my eye.

That's the orientation the dolphin needs to have, anything else just doesn't "look" right.

After 50 years that part of the logo needs to stay the same. I don't care too much about the details.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

someone here made this concept, and this is what i would love to see

dolphinsnewnd7.gif

I'll play devil's advocate here: that logo sucks. I get so tired of this "OLDER IS BETTER AND NEW THINGS SUCKS LULZ" thing that has infected and plagued sports design. It's become trendy and subsequently contemporary to retread logos that had a proper place in the past but are irrationally put on a pedestal because "They wore something like this when they were winning. Also sleeves."

The "helmet-wearing" dolphin has, to me, always been moronic and takes an opportunity away from a unique team name to do something neat with their helmet. While I grant you that the seemingly-new logo isn't a home run by any means, it's an improvement over a dumbass helmet-wearing sea creature leaping dopily past a cartoonish sun.

The navy isn't that bad of accent color, either. Stop living in the damn 70's.

I agree completely.

dolphinsnewnd7.gif

...The "helmet-wearing" dolphin has, to me, always been moronic and takes an opportunity away from a unique team name to do something neat with their helmet....

I agree that the helmet on the dolphin is ridiculous...it needs a facemask.

I agree that the helmet on the dolphin is ridiculous...it needs a facemask.

Only if its grey. :flagusa:

It's. Only if it's gray. You seem to have an opposite understanding of apostrophes. Here's a hint: apostrophes either mark contractions or show possession. "Its" without an apostrophe means something's possession, such as talking about a tiger and its stripes. If you mean "it is", that's a contraction, necessitating an apostrophe. Apostrophes are NEVER used to pluralize words. Every time you type "jersey's," you look silly.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

i'd assume a team like the colts will have the new stripes next season. maybe as early as the playoff game?

What the heck are you talking about?

I think he's talking about the new LSU version of the shoulder loops Nike came up with for LSU's bowl game. The idea that the Colts would be able to make that switch (or the NFL would let them... or they'd even want to...) by this week's playoff game is beyond ridiculous.

And I don't know if we'll ever see this version of the stripe on any of the NFL teams who's traditional shoulder stripes are such a mess (Colts, Jets, various throwbacks...). If I'm seeing things correctly, LSU had to re-engineer their number font to make up for the reduced horizontal torso area. I wouldn't be surprised if that would be something most teams decide against... for that matter, the NFL might have number width regulations, which would surprise no one.

Personally, I think the LSU "solution" is a good start to solving the problem (although we should keep in mind, it may only be considered a "problem" to members of this board... myself included... and a few other design-minded sports fans), but still needs something. I hope the idea is still be pushed forward. It is by no means solved.

I think he's talking about the new LSU version of the shoulder loops Nike came up with for LSU's bowl game. The idea that the Colts would be able to make that switch (or the NFL would let them... or they'd even want to...) by this week's playoff game is beyond ridiculous.

And I don't know if we'll ever see this version of the stripe on any of the NFL teams who's traditional shoulder stripes are such a mess (Colts, Jets, various throwbacks...). If I'm seeing things correctly, LSU had to re-engineer their number font to make up for the reduced horizontal torso area. I wouldn't be surprised if that would be something most teams decide against... for that matter, the NFL might have number width regulations, which would surprise no one.

Personally, I think the LSU "solution" is a good start to solving the problem (although we should keep in mind, it may only be considered a "problem" to members of this board... myself included... and a few other design-minded sports fans), but still needs something. I hope the idea is still be pushed forward. It is by no means solved.

I am not sure about the front numbers, but a bunch of teams have altered the sleeve/shoulder font to fit in with Nike's new templates. I think the Saints shrunk the front numbers, as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see the teams thin the front numbers out a little to fit it onto new templates, if it's that important to them, that is.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

dolphins1.jpg?w=642&h=154

I don't understand how anyone with a sense of design can say that the left 3 are the best logos in Dolphins history.

:rolleyes:

The three on the left are outdated illustrations, but that doesn't make the one on the far right any better. The one the have now is, frankly, perfect. It's a great modernization of the classic look.

Correction: It's a 90's-ization of the look.

It has some 90s-ish elements, like the navy shading and the scowling animal face. That being said, it's still a great modernization of the team's original logo.

Just because it's a good modernization of an original logo doesn't make it a good logo, though.

Untitled.png

Archived