2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Dolphinsprototype-1.png?t=1356376225

IMHO, these are the main problems / flaws with the new Dolphins logo:

1) Balance: Just "eye balling" the positioning, the tail end sticks out way more than the front end -- i.e. the Dolphin should be shifted to the right.

2) Proportion: The Dolphin got HUGE while the Sunburst size stayed relatively the same (i.e. the Sunburst should probably be slightly larger).

3) Motion / Emotion: There is no sense of motion, or aggression or any "emotion" really, now granted you don't necessarily have to have "motion" per se (e.g. the running Buffalo or flying Falcon, but heck even the old Dolphin was at least leaping), the point is the current Dolphin looks like it just got done smoking a nice fat bowl and is about to do a massive belly flop -- not real intimidating.

4) Design: I know these are supposed to be caricatures, but the tail looks more like a whale's tail and seems too large for a typical dolphin's body (e.g. google pics of a real dolphin to see what I mean)

5) Design: If the idea was to shift to a more modern, sleeker, cleaner look, why add the smaller secondary Sun "spike"? Does it really add anything?

6) Design: No eye. This to me is perhaps the most egregious flaw..

Consider that there are currently 13 NFL teams that use an animal as their primary logo (Chicago uses a Bear head as their secondary logo -- as does Cincinnati's Bengal tiger but even both of those have eyes), every NFL animal logo has an eye or incorporates some kind of eye (such as the Star on the Texan's logo):

NFL-animals.png

In fact, I'm willing to bet (and I don't have the slightest clue or have done the research), that every other professional sports logo that incorporates an animal has an eye (Bulls, Hawks, Orioles etc.) and perhaps even extend that to the collegiate and HS levels... in other words, you're breaking new ground here and not in a good way. If it ain't broke, don't remove the eye.

Now aside from all of that... frankly speaking? It's still a pretty mediocre logo at best, and a major downgrade from its classic logo at worst (basically, it sucks...)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4154599586_4aa4d4da2b_o.png

This was from a concept I did back in 2009.......everybody on UniWatch hated this. IMHO, this is what I think the Dolphins should've done.

Not withstanding, I'm not giving up just yet on the new Dolphin, I say let's wait until the uniforms are unveiled, then tear it apart.

BTW, is it just me, or are the Seahawks uniforms starting to grow on anyone else? They really have grown on me, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the Jaguars, logo and uniform wise.

3n9mw.jpg

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

1) Balance: Just "eye balling" the positioning, the tail end sticks out way more than the front end -- i.e. the Dolphin should be shifted to the right.

2) Proportion: The Dolphin got HUGE while the Sunburst size stayed relatively the same (i.e. the Sunburst should probably be slightly larger).

3) Design: I know these are supposed to be caricatures, but the tail looks more like a whale's tail and seems too large for a typical dolphin's body

4) Design: If the idea was to shift to a more modern, sleeker, cleaner look, why add the smaller secondary Sun "spike"? Does it really add anything?

5) Design: No eye. This to me is perhaps the most egregious flaw..

Consider that there are currently 13 NFL teams that use an animal as their primary logo (Chicago uses a Bear head as their secondary logo -- as does Cincinnati's Bengal tiger but even both of those have eyes), every NFL animal logo has an eye or incorporates some kind of eye (such as the Star on the Texan's logo):

NFL-animals.png

In fact, I'm willing to bet (and I don't have the slightest clue or have done the research), that every other professional sports logo that incorporates an animal has an eye (Bulls, Hawks, Orioles etc.) and perhaps even extend that to the collegiate and HS levels... in other words, you're breaking new ground here and not in a good way. If it ain't broke, don't remove the eye.

Now aside from all of that... frankly speaking? It's still a pretty mediocre logo at best, and a major downgrade from its classic logo at worst (basically, it sucks...)

At the same time, this logo lasted 38 years and some would say is still superior than the current one:

473.gif

I think if this Dolphins logo was going on 30-40 years of use people would rank it with the other classic NFL logos. It's a logo, not a chart to study the anatomy of a dolphin.

70389454.png

I dont see an eye on the Bills logo.

I never noticed this until like a year ago. I always thought that it was just an extension of his horn, but that's an eye. Prepare to have your world rocked:

billseye_zps8d7fbf10.png

Buffalo_Bills_logo.jpg

the faceless leaping buffalo with the bullet wound now has a dopey looking face. Logo looks worse now, doesn't it?

PvO6ZWJ.png

3) Design: I know these are supposed to be caricatures, but the tail looks more like a whale's tail and seems too large for a typical dolphin's body

4) Design: If the idea was to shift to a more modern, sleeker, cleaner look, why add the smaller secondary Sun "spike"? Does it really add anything?

5) Design: No eye. This to me is perhaps the most egregious flaw..

NFL-animals.png

At the same time, this logo lasted 38 years and some would say is still superior than the current one:

473.gif

I think if this Dolphins logo was going on 30-40 years of use people would rank it with the other classic NFL logos. It's a logo, not a chart to study the anatomy of a dolphin.

that Lions logo isnt built on trends or any kind of aesthetic from the era it was created. it is a timeless logo, but overall what they have now is drawn better. that Lion logo (and i'll even include the Bills because its not all that clear) dosent need an eye because its a silhouette, but the Dolphins new one does need it because there is shape and form defining every other part of the animal. it looks awkward without some form of eye

you're right if this Dolphins logo were 40 years old people would like it. all kinds of bad, dated logos are liked by millions. a lot of people like the Vikings, Redskins, and Notre Dame logos and they're downright terrible. logos are not born with emotional equity, its earned over time. but that dosent determine if a logo is drawn well or not, or if its good or not. this Dolphins logo is not timeless, its not drawn well, and its going to look strange in its primary application (i dont like the flow it has on the helmet)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I am not convinced a silhouette needs an eye. Texas' Longhorn logo does not have one. Most of these logos are not silhouettes. Really just Detroit (which as mentioned survived just fine without one) and Buffalo. (arguably Houston, but that's a bit different given the two colors and the the "eye" is an element of the state flag).

Though I am not a designer; just a guy who likes what he likes.

Though I will add that this logo would look worse with eyes, imho. Perhaps because it would need two eyes...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I've been a fan of the NFL since 1983 and I still don't know what the hell that is coming out the side of the buffalo. Is it blood, an Indian's spear, or is it just its awesomeness because it is fast?

I've always thought it was there to convey speed, as the buffalo is leaping.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

I've been a fan of the NFL since 1983 and I still don't know what the hell that is coming out the side of the buffalo. Is it blood, an Indian's spear, or is it just its awesomeness because it is fast?

I've always thought it was there to convey speed, as the buffalo is leaping.

Same here, particularly since that logo showed up in 1974 - the year after OJ was the first back to rush for 2,000 yards. He was the face of the franchise so I always thought it was to imply the buffalo was now "rushing".

What is wrong with Miami and going with these stupid abstract animal logos?

If the new Phins logo looks anything like that, it's just another :censored:ty FL sports team logo to go along with the Rays, Lightning, and Marlins, and even more specifically the Miami region having 2 of the worst logos. So sad.

2ly2w09.jpg

I am not convinced a silhouette needs an eye. Texas' Longhorn logo does not have one. Most of these logos are not silhouettes. Really just Detroit (which as mentioned survived just fine without one) and Buffalo. (arguably Houston, but that's a bit different given the two colors and the the "eye" is an element of the state flag).

Though I am not a designer; just a guy who likes what he likes.

Though I will add that this logo would look worse with eyes, imho. Perhaps because it would need two eyes...

longhorns-logo21.jpg

You're crazy. This would look amazing

texasfp.jpg

90758391980.gif

...particularly since that logo showed up in 1974 - the year after OJ was the first back to rush for 2,000 yards. He was the face of the franchise so I always thought it was to imply the buffalo was now "rushing".

buffalo-bills-logo.gif

Maybe the red is where OJ slashed it with a knife...

I always thought it was supposed to represent speed.

87Redskins.png

...particularly since that logo showed up in 1974 - the year after OJ was the first back to rush for 2,000 yards. He was the face of the franchise so I always thought it was to imply the buffalo was now "rushing".

buffalo-bills-logo.gif

Maybe the red is where OJ slashed it with a knife...

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that red slash is supposed to show motion, something to indicate that the buffalo is running. I'm sure they did this back in 1974 to help to differentiate between the red bison who was just standing and looking like he was trying to find a place to do his business...

http://miamiherald.t.../#storylink=cpy

### We hear the Dolphins’ new logo will be different and more creative than the one circulating on line.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.t...y#storylink=cpy

Translation they heard from the experts(this board) that it sucked so they'll make it better until we approve

The face and helmet will be back.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I dont see an eye on the Bills logo.

I never noticed this until like a year ago. I always thought that it was just an extension of his horn, but that's an eye. Prepare to have your world rocked:

billseye_zps8d7fbf10.png

Buffalo_Bills_logo.jpg

the faceless leaping buffalo with the bullet wound now has a dopey looking face. Logo looks worse now, doesn't it?

Damn you. Ruins it completely for me

Archived