2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

My guess with the Jaguars is something along these lines:

Black Jerseys with white numbers outlined in teal. Color shifting helmets stay the same. Maybe a slight tweak to the logo.

White Jerseys with gold numbers (blech...) outlined in teal. Color shfiting helmets stay the same.

Pants - Black and white pairs with the classic striping from the original jerseys on them.

Here's where I think they Oregonify themselves - the numbers are probably going to be color shifting/metallic, but the big splash I think'll be something like "leopard print" on the shoulders a la the "wings" on Oregon's current unis. I bet we see black on black with a gold color shift and white on white with a gold color shift.

That's my call, anyway (and yes, I think that'd look awful).

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Charger fan, and I have to deal from time to time with the poor saps on here who prefer Ryan Leaf navy to Alworth powder blue. Top that. B)

I prefer the powder blue set (without the yellow pants) to the Leaf set, but the Leaf set was great. Both were far better than the crap they currently wear, including the alternates.

Getting back to the topic at hand, the Vikings' purple/white/purple combination would be the best road look in the NFL if they ever wore it. I don't usually like road uniforms, but the amount of color there really makes that combination pop without being overbearing.

Hell, purple pants even looked good with the Vikings' boring "classic" look:

3349586612_2b82c77bf9.jpg

It would not be the best. It would still be in the bottom ten, but it would be much better. The current Vikings jerseys are terrible, and color coordinating the pants will not fix that. It would still be in an awful template, with a bad number font, and also add the leotard look with the matching socks. There is just no saving this Vikings set, or any set with a side stripe connecting the jersey and pants. It doesn't work. It only ever matches up on QBs with loose jerseys, and it looks terrible on fat linemen when the jersey stripe is stretched to twice the width of the pants stripe.

But I agree that the incredible classic look above does look better with purple pants on the road.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't have any info, but I don't believe at all that the Panthers will be switching uniforms (nor should they). The Panthers just did a redesign, encompassing the logo and the wordmarks. No way they go through that and just forget to update their uniforms. If they were changing them, it would have been done for this year.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I agree the Bengals white side panels need to go, but besides that, it bothers me that they go from black-stripes-on-orange to orange-stripes-on-black on the shoulders. The latter part of that looks bad and doesn't make sense. Isn't there some way they could keep it with black-stripes-on-orange exclusively, like they did 1981-2003?

125641158_crop_650x440.jpg?1316715451

Forgot about this, but just tracked it down again. Darren Rovell tweeted out that "Nike is selling limited edition Cowboys jerseys in black" with the picture below 11 days ago. But they aren't just Cowboys jerseys in black (like Starter had back in the day), they are actually much different. Did all teams get these?

670035175.png

EDIT: Not sure that png is going to show up, so here is the twitpic link: http://twitpic.com/b2x6g7/full

I don't have any info, but I don't believe at all that the Panthers will be switching uniforms (nor should they). The Panthers just did a redesign, encompassing the logo and the wordmarks. No way they go through that and just forget to update their uniforms. If they were changing them, it would have been done for this year.

The only thing I can think of is that the Panthers logo change happened after Nike had manufacturer a crap-ton of jerseys, thus why the Panthers have to stick with the unis.

Forgot about this, but just tracked it down again. Darren Rovell tweeted out that "Nike is selling limited edition Cowboys jerseys in black" with the picture below 11 days ago. But they aren't just Cowboys jerseys in black (like Starter had back in the day), they are actually much different. Did all teams get these?

670035175.png

EDIT: Not sure that png is going to show up, so here is the twitpic link: http://twitpic.com/b2x6g7/full

When I was in Champs a few days ago I saw 6 different teams with these. So, it's just a fashion jersey.

670035175.png

When I was in Champs a few days ago I saw 6 different teams with these. So, it's just a fashion jersey.

That's what I figured. Rovell is not really on top of his game. Thanks.

On top of his game? Rovell? When was he ever?

The only thing I can think of is that the Panthers logo change happened after Nike had manufacturer a crap-ton of jerseys, thus why the Panthers have to stick with the unis.

Couldn't be - logo changes are usually approved a year in advance, well before Nike took over the contract.

EDIT: Removed at poster's request.

Good Lord in heaven, that is a glorious football uniform. That picture is the visual equiviant of eating warm brownies directly after having great sex, in bed on a snowy saturday morning.

There's another version of the purple pants they wore with a gold/white/gold stripe. Even slightly more glorious. Put this on a modern template, add the current helmet (minus the pointless black trim) and every team playing the Vikings would be forced to spot them 14 points as they stood in slack-jawed awe at the God-like beauty of that uniform.

Good Lord in heaven, that is a glorious football uniform. That picture is the visual equiviant of eating warm brownies directly after having great sex, in bed on a snowy saturday morning.

One of the best similes i have read on this board. Ever. Completely agree. The Purple knocked it out first try. Just need to go back to it and leave it be. And i'm relatively modernist usually.

One of the best similes i have read on this board. Ever. Completely agree. The Purple knocked it out first try. Just need to go back to it and leave it be. And i'm relatively modernist usually.

The thing that gets me is how people will say something like this, with the awesome bright complementary color scheme, is a "boring old" uniform, and, say, the new Rams navy and biege snooze-fest is an example of something cutting edge and exciting. Makes no sense. Navy, charcole, black, this "anthracite" nonsense... F all that... give me some damn color.

On 10/22/2012 at 10:06 AM, oldschoolvikings said:
On 10/22/2012 at 9:45 AM, tajmccall said:
On 10/22/2012 at 9:08 AM, oldschoolvikings said:
On 10/21/2012 at 2:15 PM, Lights Out said:

The thing that gets me is how people will say something like this, with the awesome bright complementary color scheme, is a "boring old" uniform, and, say, the new Rams navy and biege snooze-fest is an example of something cutting edge and exciting. Makes no sense. Navy, charcole, black, this "anthracite" nonsense... F all that... give me some damn color.

An update of this would be great. I actually like the current uniforms better than the 1980s for two reasons: purple facemasks and yellow outline on numbers.

But start here for inspiration. Purple pants on the road. White pants at home. Outlined numbers and otherwise based on (pun intended) old school vikings looks. Keep the purple consistent and a bit vivid. And I agree with whoever said to stop trying to match the pants stripes with side panels. Even when they wear the right combo, the pants stripe appears to start six inches down the leg from afar...it does not work.

My dream set would be based on the late 90s/early 2000s white uniforms (if they could make the UCLA striping work) but with mismatched pants, but I'd take something inspired by the photo in a heartbeat.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

^ I have apparently reached my quota of positive votes for the day (even though I only did so once). Anyway, thumbs up to the last two posts, OSV. That was an incredible uniform, and the fact that it used good colors made it great. You don't have to come up with some awful design just to "show off" the colors. The picture in your sig shows that. The Lions and Vikings had the same sleeve striping pattern, yet nobody in their right mind would mistake that pic for an intersquad scrimmage. You don't have to do something different just to look good, you just have to use your colors well. You don't have to have a crappy custom font just to be interesting. I also agree that the NFL needs more color, not less. Every single darkening of team colors in the NFL was to the detriment of the team's look.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

My gut is telling me that teal spots will be involved. Don't know why. All I know is, I am still so thankful we are getting rid of this current monstrosity. I was afraid that I was stuck with this for awhile. I like a lot of modern designs so I like my chances.

The thing that gets me is how people will say something like this, with the awesome bright complementary color scheme, is a "boring old" uniform, and, say, the new Rams navy and biege snooze-fest is an example of something cutting edge and exciting.

I think that Vikings set is a boring old uniform and the Rams wear a boring new uniform. If I had my way, the Vikes would only wear purple pants with their current white jersey, and the Rams would still be wearing the sleeve-horn set.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The thing that gets me is how people will say something like this, with the awesome bright complementary color scheme, is a "boring old" uniform, and, say, the new Rams navy and biege snooze-fest is an example of something cutting edge and exciting.

I think that Vikings set is a boring old uniform and the Rams wear a boring new uniform. If I had my way, the Vikes would only wear purple pants with their current white jersey, and the Rams would still be wearing the sleeve-horn set.

While I don't like this set a lot (don't hate either), I am totally on board with this. Given that they have it, they should never wear white pants with white jerseys. It just makes that stupid "box" at the top of the pants' strip jump out.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

670035175.png

That's what I figured. Rovell is not really on top of his game. Thanks.

I saw a few people wearing the Texans Arian Foster version of this jerseys yesterday at Reliant Stadium.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

EDIT: Removed at poster's request.

Let's see...there are the Jaguars for sure and possibly the Dolphins. I don't know how long we'd wait to see the Browns make their apparently subtle changes, but they could be one. I wonder who that 4th team would be, if this is in fact true.

I've heard murmurs, most of it speculation, that the Eagles might get an update soon. Kelly Green and Black jerseys/merchandise sells a lot, most of the fanbase dislikes Midnight Teal Green, and Jeffrey Lurie got divorced from his wife, who is widely believed to be the one who wanted to switch to the color.

Not a lot to go on but there is a chance, especially since Nike can't recreate their color now. I think Andy Reid being fired, and switching to a new quarterback (which at this point both seem likely) will expedite the process. Seems to be the norm nowadays to signify a new era for a team with some aesthetic modifications to go along with the personnel turnover.

Archived