2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

I absolutely love the B shield, but it's sadly been thrown away from history due to legal issues, but anyways, this Ravens set here is the best to me...

1997_Baltimore.png

All we need is a black alternate and it's money. Those black pants with the white/purple and the shield logo is really awesome.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guess this means Ravens will never change their unis *sigh*

What's wrong with the Ravens uniforms ??

Awful number font, drop shadows, no pants striping, ugly logos. Mostly little stuff but when you put it all together it could definitely be improved.

From the neck down (aside from the collars) I think they're perfectly fine. I recently noticed that the numbers seem to really pop and I really like them.

When giving a visual critique or opinion, never rely on "it pops" as a main supporting argument. I'm pretty sure you'd get thrown out of art school for such an offense. ;)

Here's my issues with their current uniforms (not logos... that's another can of worms)

The road uniforms ruin the drop shadow feature. It works on the home and alternate because purple & black are so close in color that the effect is subtle. On the road uniform, you have this large black drop shadow with already dark purple numbers on a white backdrop... it's too much. If they wanted to keep the drop shadow but shorten it to a Dolphins drop shadow length, I could stomach that.

The number font is passable at best on its own, but when you add the drop shadow, it allows for some awkward joints. Most of the symmetrical numbers are fine like 1s, 0s, and 8s; but the asymmetrical ones look really poor, 2s and 7s especially. A more geometric-friendly font would lend itself to a drop shadow much better.

And if they could find a way to tie the black pants to the black helmet, that'd be even better.

Awful number font, drop shadows, no pants striping, ugly logos. Mostly little stuff but when you put it all together it could definitely be improved.

From the neck down (aside from the collars) I think they're perfectly fine. I recently noticed that the numbers seem to really pop and I really like them.

When giving a visual critique or opinion, never rely on "it pops" as a main supporting argument. I'm pretty sure you'd get thrown out of art school for such an offense. ;)

Here's my issues with their current uniforms (not logos... that's another can of worms)

The road uniforms ruin the drop shadow feature. It works on the home and alternate because purple & black are so close in color that the effect is subtle. On the road uniform, you have this large black drop shadow with already dark purple numbers on a white backdrop... it's too much. If they wanted to keep the drop shadow but shorten it to a Dolphins drop shadow length, I could stomach that.

The number font is passable at best on its own, but when you add the drop shadow, it allows for some awkward joints. Most of the symmetrical numbers are fine like 1s, 0s, and 8s; but the asymmetrical ones look really poor, 2s and 7s especially. A more geometric-friendly font would lend itself to a drop shadow much better.

And if they could find a way to tie the black pants to the black helmet, that'd be even better.

Fortunately this isn't art school.

I see nothing wrong with the numbers, the old ones were a bit much, almost trying too hard to be modern. I'm usually not a fan of thin number fonts, but this one works and it matches the word mark.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/assets/images/imported/BAL/news-articles/2013/01-Jan/week-4/23_Jerseys_instory.jpg

I think the size of the drop shadow is perfect. I feel that if it was any smaller it wouldnt look as clean and that's how I feel about the dolphins shadow. Paired with the gold outline I think they just look perfect.

If they could just modernize the bird a little bit and lose the cheesy looking "B" on it, as well as the stripes, I think they'd look fine.

Also it may very well just be me, but it seems like the helmets are a charcoal color and not black. It might just be the lighting, but something about the finish seems offering than other black helmets.

Can anyone confirm nor deny this/my sanity.

The purple over black should really be their primary look. I don't think the stripe less pants look bad when worn with the purple jerseys. The opposite is true on the road though - really not big in the leotard look.

They could just go all white, or introduce purple pants with a black stripe (maybe thin gold trim, or maybe not). Black over white over purple could look ok. Or just slap some stripes in the black pants and be done with it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hey, its "lets critique the Ravens' uniform" time for everybody. Allow me to jump in.

(Please read IMO for all the following complaints)

The helmet logo is a problem. I personally don't care for the "B" on the left or right side, but its a huge problem on the left. Its seems obvious the logo was designed to face right, and then somebody realized they had to have a left face also, and just kind of... made one. I don't care for that jaggedy one that gets thrown around on concepts either... I'd try to keep the current, but remove the "B" altogether.

I don't care for the tapered helmet stripes... that was a design element that was interesting for about 10 minutes in the 90's. The Titans should drop it also. A single standard (Steelers, Colts, Giants) size purple stripe is all they need... or no stripe at all.

I actually don't mind the jerseys too much. The number font is a little silly (4 out of 5 custom fonts in sports are), but its unique and its theirs... I'd probably keep it, although I agree the drop shadow works much better on the purple than it does on white. The Nike toilet collar is, or course, terrible and must go.

From the waist down is where the nightmare really starts. I actually like the idea of wearing black/purple/black. Again, its unique (in the NFL, anyway), and its a look they really own. The white pants are, for them, just kind of meh. But, those particular black pants flat out suck. For whatever reason, they are the most "leotardy" of all leotards, to me. Just nasty. They make me uncomfortable, like I'm seeing grown men in way I really shouldn't. And, as bad as they are paired with the purple jersey, they are actually noticeably worse with the white. The white jersey/black pants combo makes all the players look like freaks with huge torsos and tiny tiny legs. (Years ago there was a SNL skit about 'roid freaks where they all had little doll legs hanging down under their upper bodies... that's the Ravens' look.) The black pants MUST have a stripe to be passable. I'd go white-purple-white with thin gold trim bordering the purple. Then go with purple pants (reverse the stripes) for the road jersey.

As for the socks, It really shouldn't even be a discussion. The plain black pants with plain black socks is the worst look in all sports, period. If anyone wants to defend that look, well, as a professor of mine once said during a critique, "Everyone is entitled to their opinion... except that one." Go with purple socks when wearing black pants and black socks when wearing purple pants, and immedeatly cut any player who suggests otherwise.

Also, put me in the camp of people who hate the phrase "it really pops"... I have no idea what that means.... is it a good thing? I'm in design critiques every week, and I'm waiting for the day one of my students says that, so I can make an example of of him/her (I'm pretty much kidding... pretty much).

1997_Baltimore.png

Those black pants were great. Bring them back and pair them with the other white socks in that picture, the black-purple-black striped ones. Take the stripes off the helmet and go with a black outline on the numbers instead of the dropshadow. Get rid of the Nike collar. Then, maybe add a thin gold outline around the purple stripe on both pants sets. Purple jersey with white pants at home, white jersey with black pants and white striped socks on the road. Those are a few small tweaks that wouldn't veer significantly from what they have but would make the uniform would look 100x better.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm wondering Showtime how you explain the contradiction between you saying we've "pretty much" seen the new logo and Dolphins CEO Mike Dee publicly stating that none of the leaked versions are correct...

Damage control by Dee.

What Dee might be doing is damage control and semantics. The essence of the logo may be there, but something like the positioning of the Dolphin (or its tail) might be different. If that's the case, then technically Dee would be correct, as none of the leaks would be of the actual logo, just a prototype.

What these guys said.

Look at this report by ESPN on counterfeit jersey:

http://espn.go.com/v...egoryid=2378529

I'm not defending the counterfeiting, but why doesn't the NFL counter it by lowering the price of the authentic jerseys, thus providing less incentive for people to buy the counterfeits? Can they not sell them for less than $225 and still make money?

Of course they could. But let's not start this up again. Search for and read the China Counterfeit thread for a (very) comprehensive discussion (i.e. knock-down-drag-out) on the whole issue.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

IMO the number font suits the Ravens well it's uniquely them. Drop shadow I will agree I'm not fond of and there really needs to be the old stripping back on the pants. Other then that I like the uniforms and the combination of purple gold & black. They Could probably improve the helmet logo.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I took a stab at that logo once...

***SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT***

BALravens_NPC.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Alfie Crow ‏@AlfieBCC

I've seen the new #Jaguars logo. It's robotic. Very futuristic.

Alfie Crow ‏@AlfieBCC

The #Jaguars new logo isn't even a Jaguar head anymore though. It's a body part.

Alfie Crow ‏@AlfieBCC

The #Jaguars logo is not a claw/paw see a lot of people guessing that

Big Jaguars fan and I took the time last night (4.5 hrs) to read through this entire thread and was actually really entertained. Great discussion and cool insights from people "in the know"

Alfie Crow ‏@AlfieBCC

I've seen the new #Jaguars logo. It's robotic. Very futuristic.

Alfie Crow ‏@AlfieBCC

The #Jaguars new logo isn't even a Jaguar head anymore though. It's a body part.

Alfie Crow ‏@AlfieBCC

The #Jaguars logo is not a claw/paw see a lot of people guessing that

Big Jaguars fan and I took the time last night (4.5 hrs) to read through this entire thread and was actually really entertained. Great discussion and cool insights from people "in the know"

Worry not. He said he was making that up.

Someone called it Voltron like. I buy that.

Archived