Wendy's Changes Logo for First Time Since 1983

dfwabel

It's a really nice update. The illustration of the girl is vastly improved. As for the type, there's nothing wrong with the new type, but I did like the Western-look of the old type. But, the old type had a number of flaws, and I feel that most only prefer it for nostalgia's sake.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Image of what a remodeled store will look like:

Wendy%27s%20new%20look%20copy.jpg

Their marketing officer talks more including on the two different ad campaigns and the Wendy's "wave".

Why did you lose the 'Old Fashioned Hamburgers' part of the logo?

If you think about our brand, gosh, we certainly sell a lot of hamburgers and cheeseburgers, but we also are leaders in innovation in chicken, we’re leaders in salads. We felt we needed to reflect our product line of today and where we need to be in the future.

The 'Quality Is Our Recipe' tagline has been moved.

We feel that it’s an important value statement for our brand. We wanted to let that out of its cage, so to speak, and use it on our signage and our soft assets, like packaging. Now consumers are going to be able to see, it read it and engage in it, as opposed to having it high up and set apart.

Why are these all of these changes happening now?

Look around. Chipotle, Panera, Five Guys — this is the new standard. They’re doing super jobs, but they have the advantage of coming in and being able to build new spaces and new concepts from scratch. We can’t stay stagnant in that environment. We have to continue to evolve our brand and grow our brand.

Our consumers have a different picture of what they expect. We have to leap frog now. It’s not just about catching up, because everyone else is moving forward. You grow brands to be viable not for a quarter, but for years.

On a red background. Makes some sense. I would of used a different shade of red so it wouldn't match Wendy's hair color.

Personally I really like the new Wendy's look. The old style look was great, but this a great improvement and bring Wendy's into the current age of design.

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

Probably just preparing in advance, building a new-style store and then swapping out for the new logo in the spring when the rebrand launches. Helluva lot cheaper to switch a sign than to rebuild an entire exterior of a building.

Yellow and Red is so McDonalds that I'm suprised it took them this look to drop the yellow. Not that I ever confused a Wendys sign for a McDonalds sign from a distance, but I understand wanting to move away from that color combo. Having said that, Red and White is so EVERYTHING ELSE - KFC, Five Guys, Ruby Tuesdays, Target and so many other chain restuarants/generic businesses u'd see along the road that it seems to defeat the purpose. I feel like they could have went with Red and Black or maybe went more with the Pale Blue in the logo ... idk something else besides red and white.

I also think the fun script doesn't really mesh well with their marketing. I always thought they positioned themselves as slightly more refined fast food. Better quality incredients taste a little bit overpriced. So, to me the fun script, while nice, doesnt really go with their brand. Old Western I agree is outdated at this point and also doesnt fit. I think they should have went with a serifed, but slightly less Western wordmark. I simple Upgrade like a take on Rockwell or something like that.

There's a lot of psychology that goes in to branding. Many studies have shown that the colors of red and yellow together makes the user hungry. It's the main reason most fast foods have this color scheme, it's not coincidence.

timmy.png

Image of what a remodeled store will look like:

Wendy%27s%20new%20look%20copy.jpg

Their marketing officer talks more including on the two different ad campaigns and the Wendy's "wave".

If you think about our brand, gosh, we certainly sell a lot of hamburgers and cheeseburgers, but we also are leaders in innovation in chicken, we’re leaders in salads. We felt we needed to reflect our product line of today and where we need to be in the future.

The 'Quality Is Our Recipe' tagline has been moved.

We feel that it’s an important value statement for our brand. We wanted to let that out of its cage, so to speak, and use it on our signage and our soft assets, like packaging. Now consumers are going to be able to see, it read it and engage in it, as opposed to having it high up and set apart.

Why are these all of these changes happening now?

Look around. Chipotle, Panera, Five Guys — this is the new standard. They’re doing super jobs, but they have the advantage of coming in and being able to build new spaces and new concepts from scratch. We can’t stay stagnant in that environment. We have to continue to evolve our brand and grow our brand.

Our consumers have a different picture of what they expect. We have to leap frog now. It’s not just about catching up, because everyone else is moving forward. You grow brands to be viable not for a quarter, but for years.

Looks too much like a Pizza Hut to me. Generic.

LOL, that actually would make a really nice, modern Pizza Hut, IMO.

Because our branding consultant told us that anything "old" is death nowadays.

Im confused I saw this new Wendy's in St Louis but with the old logo.

wendys2_550.jpg

The one on Hampton right?

I just moved back to St. Louis and have driven by that a handful of times in the last few days. Confused me too.

They must not be quite ready to roll out the new logo. Or maybe the new building layout was already approved when they decided to take the re-branding a step further.

Im confused I saw this new Wendy's in St Louis but with the old logo.

wendys2_550.jpg

The one on Hampton right?

I just moved back to St. Louis and have driven by that a handful of times in the last few days. Confused me too.

They must not be quite ready to roll out the new logo. Or maybe the new building layout was already approved when they decided to take the re-branding a step further.

You must live pretty close to me. That's my Wendy's, too. I'm a big fan of the Coke Freestyle fountain soda machine they have. I've never seen it anywhere else.

I actually haven't been to the Wendy's (yet). I'm still in the market for an apartment (though, I think we got one), but where I'm staying temporarily and where I'm likely to wind up is relatively close to there.

Oh, cool. I'm like 2 minutes from the Schnucks and Target at Hampton and Chippewa.

I'm a big fan of the Coke Freestyle fountain soda machine they have. I've never seen it anywhere else.

They have the freestyle machines pretty much everywhere here in Colorado. All the Burger Kings, AMC Theaters, most Wendy's and even Noodles & Company has them now.

jNTsTyQ.png

I'm a big fan of the Coke Freestyle fountain soda machine they have. I've never seen it anywhere else.

They have the freestyle machines pretty much everywhere here in Colorado. All the Burger Kings, AMC Theaters, most Wendy's and even Noodles & Company has them now.

Yeah it's also at Firehouse Subs (not sure if it's all locations or just certain franchises). Pretty cool idea actually (even though half of the combinations are gross and give me a headache...probably way too much sugar).

On another note, kudos to whoever took the picture of the new Wendy's...great job at matchup up the angle with the rendering.

• 1 month later...

It's been 3 months since they unveil the new logo but they're using the current,logo so I beginning to think that it was either a joke or they changed their mind.

They already have a couple here in Phoenix that are transitioning to the new logo and font. No joke

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen them at Burger King, but also Pizza My Heart in downtown Palo Alto. Not to common in my area.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

It's been 3 months since they unveil the new logo but they're using the current,logo so I beginning to think that it was either a joke or they changed their mind.

They already have a couple here in Phoenix that are transitioning to the new logo and font. No joke

I thought I read somewhere it would be pushed in March, oh wait! It's on the first page. :D

Lol oh yeah thanks 4 the heads up!!

Archived