National Team Ice Hockey Jerseys

WLD42

I don't want to preface this series with too much talk, but I do just want to explain what my goal was. In creating jerseys for the IIHF's 72 members (at least that's the eventual goal, I've done 20 so far), my primary objective is not to create sets that are necessarily "realistic," that you would actually expect to see teams adopt. Rather, I find it more interesting and more fun to experiment with creating sets that are unique and are original, and sometimes might be a little bit "out there." Rarely do I use pre-existing templates, and when I do, it's generally only as a base design for me to alter and build off of. Also, I've become somewhat enamored with the "primary" and "clash" idea that many non-North American sports use, as opposed to the "dark" and "white" home-and-away scheme generally employed by ice hockey, so many of my sets use that. There are still some sets that are a dark primary and a white clash, but there are also many that aren't. Some of my designs might not be as well-received as others, but I find it a lot more exciting to try something new and fall flat on my face, than to play it safe and do something that's already been done before.

So with my "manifesto of jersey design" out of the way, I guess it's time to start posting concepts! I'm planning on posting two at a time until the thread catches up to me, at which point I'll obviously just be posting them as I make them. The only other thing worth mentioning is that I'm an MS Paint user, though I have taught myself how to use Photoshop to place logos on the jerseys in a non-pixelated fashion. And as someone who's both a design newbie and a self-professed experimenter, I love any and all feedback that will help me learn what works and what doesn't. I expect to post updates to my concepts as I receive feedback, process it, and revise my designs.

Quick Links

Australia ---> Update

Austria

Azerbaijan

Belarus

Belgium

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Bulgaria

Canada

China

Chinese Taipei (aka Taiwan) ---> Update

Croatia

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia ---> Update

Finland

France

Germany

Great Britain

Hong Kong

Hungary

Australia.png

Austria.png

Very good Austria set and a good Australia set.

However I feel there's waaay to much yellow on the road, try adding blue instead of green on it, just like the soccer team does, and switch it around with the yellow.

Also try removing the yoke outline where the sash hits the yoke.

The Austria set is clean and simple and kind of what I had in mind

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

The Austria one looks great, very good job there. It may look a little bare unless the player had their arms raised, but I think it's still good.

For Australia, I'd ditch the yoke. Keep the sash - that's very unique, and looks good too - but make the stars a different colour. Right now, there's not enough contrast between the yellow sash and the white stars.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! My usual computer's in the shop at the moment, so I'll have to wait until I get it back before I'm able to take another look at Australia, but I do have some ideas for revision. I can still get to my Photobucket account, though, so here are the next two countries, Azerbaijan and Belarus. These two are a little bit on the wild side, Azerbaijan especially. Belarus at least has a precedent in the form of the old Atlanta Thrashers jersey. You'll probably notice as I post more that a lot of the jerseys draw heavy inspiration from their nations' flags, and these two are certainly in that category.

Azerbaijan.png

Belarus.png

Rather, I find it more interesting and more fun to experiment with creating sets that are unique and are original, and sometimes might be a little bit "out there."

And you have accomplished that, and I for one, like it.

So far so good--you've done what you said you would, and the colours and designs came out cool.

I like the fun ones--even if I don't, but these work for me.

Maybe I'd make the stripes on Australia a bit wider so they show up better, and there's more green on the white jersey.

That's about all I'd change.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Thanks for the feedback, Spanky and Stampman! (Sounds like a comedy duo...) The Australia update is definitely going to reverse the green and the yellow on the white jersey, with a couple other tweaks as well. In the meantime, though, here's two more.

Belgium.png

Bosnia_and_Herzegovina.png

Can I make a suggestion? Most (if not all) international teams under the IIHF are outfitted by Nike, while you're using a Reebok template. Hockey Jersey Concepts has a pair of Nike jersey templates for use.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Gugc95phS5o/T6l6xfrh2MI/AAAAAAAAMWg/iirEFlrUaWU/s1600/Nike+Swift+Template.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Z_qlY82eSI4/TUctom5pzUI/AAAAAAAAB1o/iaDc3Hiy-Tk/s1600/IIHF.png

I suggest giving them a look.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Can I make a suggestion? Most (if not all) international teams under the IIHF are outfitted by Nike, while you're using a Reebok template. Hockey Jersey Concepts has a pair of Nike jersey templates for use.

http://1.bp.blogspot...ft Template.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.../s1600/IIHF.png

I suggest giving them a look.

Thanks for the links, CRichardson. To be honest, the template I'm using now is the only one I've ever used, and I've just never switched from it because it's what I'm comfortable with, and because I wasn't particularly concerned with the realism of what brand template I use. I never even knew that this was a Reebok template, I just knew it as the one that was straight on the bottom! That said, I don't plan on transferring this series of jerseys to that Nike template, but I'm very happy to have been educated, and I'll probably try some future concepts on that template simply for the sake of being comfortable with more than just one.

I've finally gotten a chance to update Australia, and I'm posting Bulgaria as well. Canada is next in line, but I've decided that my current concept frankly sucks, so I'm going back to the drawing board and starting from scratch on that one.

Australia1.png

Bulgaria.png

Belarus looks amazing, but you need to fix your collar inserts. They need to be the same colour as the jersey always and the pattern on Belarus shouldn't be there. I like your unorthodox designs however. I'll be following this very closely as it is inspiring me to post some of my own stuff.

You know, I'd never even been aware that "collar inserts" were a thing. I'd always just assumed that whatever is on the back of the jersey is visible through the neck-hole. It's certainly less work to just leave it alone, but I figured it would be more accurate to put those sorts of things in there, not the other way around!

You have some REALLY outside the box designs, and for the most part, I like them, and that's saying a lot coming from this traditionalist.

This series, more than 90% of the ones I've seen, screams for a modeled-template to be added to these designs. They look good flat on paper, but what would they look like on a player? Especially odd designs like Bulgaria.

Take a Reebok template, or anything that involves the sleeves down at the sides, preferably including pants, socks, and helmets. Even if you only do one for each set, your favorite, perhaps, it would be a tremendous benefit to this series.

Love the work, really gives some new ideas, keep it up.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Thanks, hockey week! I'm really pleased to hear you like them. I've spent some time inside the box before, and I got bored pretty quickly!

I would LOVE to have a 3D model template. I'm always drooling over them whenever I see them on other people's concepts. I tried looking for a how-to, but I couldn't even find the template, much less a tutorial on how to use it. If you or anyone else can point me in a helpful direction in terms of that, I would be really excited, keeping in mind that I'm limited to MS Paint (ha!), Photoshop (which I don't really know how to use very well, but I can probably learn), and whatever free-to-download programs there are that exist in the world.

Moving on with the concepts themselves, I finally came up with a Canada concept that I felt was pretty good. And then after I made it, I decided to look up where the logo actually came from, and discovered that what I created is strikingly similar to the actual Canada Cup jerseys from back in the day, with some minor details being different. I want to move on with the series, though, so maybe I'll revisit Canada some other time, but for now, here's what I've got. Luckily, along with the less-than-original Canada set, we've got the extremely original China jerseys as well.

Canada1.png

China.png

Still liking them. Canada is nice and safe and traditional enough, while china, new to the game, is all sorts of new.

Don't think too complicatedly, I mean, I still use photoshop like paint on steroids (it resizes so much better, it can rotate, and layers are amazing), but that doesn't mean you have to go nuts.

This

http://www.puckdrawn.com/.a/6a01157061294d970b0120a9452702970b-800wi

Is probably the most common one. Start there. Google around, see what you find. I took an edge model and cut all of it out, and it works alright, though angles get tricky.

But take some time on that, and take your time crafting some of the curves (really excited to see Belarus. It reminds me of the New York Golden Blades, looks super odd on paper, but when worn, it has a real redeeming quality to it) and how they'll lay when actually in use.

Thanks for the link to the template, I'll see if I can't teach myself how to use it. If I'm not able to figure it out on my own, which is a distinct possibility, I hope a PM asking for a nudge in the right direction wouldn't be too forward of me. (Simply put: Working with straight lines makes me calm and relaxed, while working with curves makes me feel like a chicken with its head cut off.)

Anyways, a few more concepts, and I decided to make it three this time, because Chinese Taipei and Croatia are both a little on the wild side even for me, while I'm very happy with the Czech Republic jersey. Well, I'm happy with all of them, but you get what I mean.

With the Chinese Taipei (aka Taiwan) clash, I really just wanted to try it and see what happened. It's a little jarring (understatement?), but it was worth a shot! Definitely one that I think would have a make-it-or-break-it moment upon being seen on a more 3D model.

For Croatia I took some inspiration from their actual jerseys, but with my own spin on it. Maybe it could stand some toning down, but I think it's easier to go too far and then pull it back, than vice-versa.

Chinese_Taipei.png

Croatia.png

Czech_Republic.png

I'm liking the Australia updates--the stripes make sense now.

The Bulgaria one really pops--and should look cool in real life on the ice.

It's a good use of contrasting colours that I don't find gaudy--the shades match well and the design helps that.

China--hmm- the whites look cool, but the yellow ones might look better if you reversed the yellow & the red...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Most times when you use the template, you have just a bunch of horizontal lines, maybe curves at the shoulder yokes. Not much more. You have some really off-the-wall designs, so you'll have to deal with more than usual. That's part of why I really think you need the modeled template, they're SO different that you need to see how it would actually work out.

I like Chinese Taipei's whites, but the blue won't work with the sleeves, you'll have stripes going in opposite directions. Wait until you get it on the template, you'll see what I mean. The sleeves need to be simplified, maybe with just vertical stripes, I don't know.

The Croatians will love those concepts, I still don't get the checkerboard appeal, and anybody else would say it's gaudy, but they thrive on that pattern.

Don't you need a white jersey for the Czech Republic? I also think there could be something more...Czech for them, like the 90s jersey with the flag at the hemline, I think there could be something more creative there.

Glad to see that the Australia update works as well in others' eyes as it does in mine! I felt like I'd hit on just the change it needed. I might take another look at China, but to be perfectly honest, the reason the colors are the way they are is because I didn't want to have to deal with putting a red logo on a red background! Call me lazy, but that's the truth.

The Chinese Taipei/Taiwan alt. is definitely getting redone, maybe from scratch, or maybe as a variation on this theme. It was just something I wanted to try out, and I don't think the end result was quite as cool as I thought it might be. But you never know unless you try! I agree that Croatia's checkerboard can get a little gaudy, and I might revisit my concept and tone it down a little, but if that's what they give you, that's what you use.

As for the Czech Republic, not every team is getting a dark and a white, or even a dark and a "light" (e.g. yellow), just two contrasting colors that can be a primary and a clash. For instance, Azerbaijan, Belarus, and the Estonia set that I'm about to post.

Anyways, I'm not sure when I'll be able to make the revisions that I've mentioned. I was among those who had to evacuate New Jersey last weekend, and while I brought my laptop, I forgot my charger, so I can't really access any of my files very easily... whoops! Even when I do get back, I'll be drowning in schoolwork, but it's all on my to-do list, eventually. For now, a couple more jerseys that I'd already made and uploaded.

Denmark.png

Estonia.png

Archived