...Or Am I Just Biased?

TimEOBrien

So this is a thread for logo/uniform ideas you think are pretty reasonably sound, but you're just not sure if it's your own personal bias getting in the way. Hopefully people will respond and let you know if it's just you or you're right.

I'll give two examples. 1:

If you take the
and fix only the eye and the snout (leave the head shape and the teeth/mouth but the eye and snout could admittedly use some work) that that's a pretty darn good logo. I mean, sure it's not BHawks Indian head or [insert your "perfectly timeless" logo], but the general shape and design isn't fatally flawed, is it?

Or am I just biased?

and 2:

Is it just me or should it be that in the NFL (and to a lesser extent, NCAAFB...) shouldn't all road uniforms be a white jersey with pants that match whatever the helmet color is? So, like, that's why the Colts look great in white/white/white but the Bears look best in Blue/White/Blue?

Or am I just biased?

So this is a thread for logo/uniform ideas you think are pretty reasonably sound, but you're just not sure if it's your own personal bias getting in the way. Hopefully people will respond and let you know if it's just you or you're right.

If you take the
and fix only the eye and the snout (leave the head shape and the teeth/mouth but the eye and snout could admittedly use some work) that that's a pretty darn good logo. I mean, sure it's not BHawks Indian head or [insert your "perfectly timeless" logo], but the general shape and design isn't fatally flawed, is it?

Or am I just biased?

and 2:

Is it just me or should it be that in the NFL (and to a lesser extent, NCAAFB...) shouldn't all road uniforms be a white jersey with pants that match whatever the helmet color is? So, like, that's why the Colts look great in white/white/white but the Bears look best in Blue/White/Blue?

Or am I just biased?

Not sure. How would you feel about Pittsburgh in Black-white-black? Or Atlanta?

Personally, I'm good with the Bears in Navy-white-white, but not a fan of the Dolphins (or Chargers) in White-white-white.

It's where I sit.

If you take the

Or am I just biased?

and 2:

Or am I just biased?

Not sure. How would you feel about Pittsburgh in Black-white-black? Or Atlanta?

Personally, I'm good with the Bears in Navy-white-white, but not a fan of the Dolphins (or Chargers) in White-white-white.

I guess there are no absolutes because anything other than what we see on SNF tonight for the Stillers just would feel wrong, but I just think the idea of matching the lid to the pants works most of the time.

Answering your #2, this is what I feel.

When it comes to uniforms, there are three uniform elements (helmet, jersey, pants). I prefer that at least two of those elements are the same color. I think those are the best look. And if all three are the same color, I'm fine with that.

I also have a preference to see that the jersey top should never be lighter in color than the pants. Aside from white, this is something I don't like seeing. So the current Titans home set is something I dislike. Because of that, I believe it's one of the worst balanced looks in the game.

Now if we talk about the Steelers, their road set is good because the pants may not be white, but it's a light color and it doesn't detract too much from the helmet. For me, that works.

These are all just what I like to see

Go A's!

and 2:

Or am I just biased?

Imagine the Cincinnati Bengals using your logic :shocked:

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

ill repost what i said in the other thread

1. - i would just say you're biased, lol. really, it was not created by a skilled artist. i totally understand your sentimental connection to it, but this is not a logo that gives the impression of a high quality, respectable college. below is an example of what a good cat logo can be

AkgxftNCAAAt0tw.png

and will add this: i don't even like the concept of the NW logo, an animal head on top of a letter. i think its too many ideas in 1 place. like the old Denver Broncos logo. we all have designs we get attached to, but as a designer you learn not to be so attached to something that you can't see its flaws. weather its in your own work or something else. we call that the "ugly baby syndrome". you know, everyone thinks their baby is the cutest baby ever, but sometimes that baby's got a face only a mother could love.

2 - we all have our preferences, but its important to not make preferences as "rules". theres no way i would say "everyone needs to do the same thing". you have to take it team by team. do whats best for each team, and not create a box for yourself so you can never get out of it and do something new. or something better. or something more appropriate. the only rules you need are the principals of design. unity, rhythm, repetition, variety, contrast, balance, alignment, hierarchy, flow. . . or however you want to define them

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 - we all have our preferences, but its important to not make preferences as "rules". theres no way i would say "everyone needs to do the same thing". you have to take it team by team. do whats best for each team, and not create a box for yourself so you can never get out of it and do something new. or something better. or something more appropriate. the only rules you need are the principals of design. unity, rhythm, repetition, variety, contrast, balance, alignment, hierarchy, flow. . . or however you want to define them

I know this, I was just proposing a preference of mine too elicit responses (hell, this is the last NFL concept I've done...). I would never change the Stillers nor would I put the Bungles in orange pantaloons, but I feel like, in general, matching the helmet color on the road is a pretty solid idea for a good look. But like I said, I tried to start this thread with something I hoped would elicit some responses.

To your point about not sure I'm biased:

I'm a Jets fan and also I think the Jets have one of the best uniform designs in the league... Only having 1 color besides white to work with, they made a very interesting and cohesive uniform set that works with any jersey-pant combo (green on white, white on white, white on green, or even the rare green on green and they all match the helmet). The stripes all match up (helmet, sleeves, pants) and it all comes together really well. I think the patch on the front works perfectly too.

But I know a lot of people think the Jetrs branding is boring.. wish they brought back black... wish the logo itself was cleaner and more unique and had more litteral Jet elements in it.

So.. debate away i guess haha.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

i guess we're doing the Browns thing then?

i agree with Tim that the color A/white/color A combo is nice, like we see with the Bears for a dark example or, and im not even sure if they've ever done it but, North Carolina and their blue for a lighter version. for the Browns, im not feeling the orange pants, with either jersey. in this case, its all about orange, because its such a loud, intense, high energy color its best used as a tertiary or secondary color. having so much orange in a uniform is overload i think, especially for a professional team. i dont mind it so much in NCAA (Clemson, Syracuse) because orange's properties (youthful, energetic, athletic, adventurous) are more suited to the athletes in that age range.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I feel like the orange pants that were last used in the yearly 00's were too shiny for me to totally like them, especially when paired with the white jersey. The orange/brown/orange looked good to me, but the away version just looked like it was missing something, or was too loud.

The flat fabric that was used in the 80's worked way better. This is why I hope they come around and get some new orange pants with Nike, since it seems like they're using more of a flat, less shiny material.

qvAvG.jpg

Archived