Brooklyn Islanders?

goforbroke

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling the Islanders will incorporate a lot of black while keeping the blue and orange. Might even go with a lighter blue (light blue, orange, and black, a la 90s Cleveland Cavaliers - a unique scheme that ties in to Brooklyn arena, distinguishes itself from Knicks, and still keeps some heritage). The alternate they wore last year was pretty awful and hopefully they'll design something better.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Jay-Z doesn't co-own the Islanders. Therefore, the logo will not be changed into a black and white lump of generic garbage.

This. 100%.

The Brooklyn Net-Z's look astonishingly terrible. Jay-Z had the balls to crap all over decent music, now he's hemorrhaging into sports.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Jay-Z doesn't co-own the Islanders. Therefore, the logo will not be changed into a black and white lump of generic garbage.

This. 100%.

The Brooklyn Net-Z's look astonishingly terrible. Jay-Z had the balls to crap all over decent music, now he's hemorrhaging into sports.

Bizarre how Jay-Z owns like 0.00008% of the Nets, but seemingly got final say on the team's entire identity.

6uXNWAo.png

This. 100%.

Ok—just so we're all clear on your opinions here, 1) what exactly defines "decent music" to you, and 2) why do you say he's "hemorrhaging"?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

While we're making grand sweeping statements, I'll add mine: the Nets have never looked better than they do now.

None of their previous logos can hold a candle to the current set. Not the silly unbalanced late 1990s primary they were using until a few months ago, not the gradient-explosion early 1990s one, not the Twitter-handle at sign of their old New York logos. This is a team with a staggeringly bad logo history that the current owners have managed to u-turn into a fantastic brand.

But the Islanders don't need this kind of overhaul; they have a very good logo already. Minor tweaks, and they're set.

While we're making grand sweeping statements, I'll add mine: the Nets have never looked better than they do now.

None of their previous logos can hold a candle to the current set. Not the silly unbalanced late 1990s primary they were using until a few months ago, not the gradient-explosion early 1990s one, not the Twitter-handle at sign of their old New York logos. This is a team with a staggeringly bad logo history that the current owners have managed to u-turn into a fantastic brand.

But the Islanders don't need this kind of overhaul; they have a very good logo already. Minor tweaks, and they're set.

Agreed on all counts.

Jay Z would probably make the current alternate the primary with a white version to match. Seems right up his alley

Seems like they've got to change their names. How can you have team called the Islanders that doesn't play on Long Island? Then again, we have teams like the Utah Jazz so anything is possible.

Well, I mean Brooklyn is still on Long Island, it's just further west. As much as I'd like to see them be the Brooklyn Islanders, I don't think any change to the nickname is necessary, because not that much has changed, all things considered.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

From the Islanders' press release:

In support of the illustrious history of the team, the New York Islanders name and logo will remain unchanged.

I can't imagine they wouldn't add Kings and Queens counties to the island.

You'd think. It's a golden opportunity to clean the logo up a bit.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This. 100%.

Ok—just so we're all clear on your opinions here, 1) what exactly defines "decent music" to you, and 2) why do you say he's "hemorrhaging"?

If I may jump in: rap music that doesn't seem to consist solely of "I own many successful businesses and am married to Beyonce" is pretty decent.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Seems like they've got to change their names. How can you have team called the Islanders that doesn't play on Long Island? Then again, we have teams like the Utah Jazz so anything is possible.

Others have already mentioned that Brooklyn is indeed on Long Island, but I'd just like to point out that New York City is comprised largely of islands - over 80% of the city's land area. Only the Bronx is connected to the mainland.

From the Islanders' press release:

In support of the illustrious history of the team, the New York Islanders name and logo will remain unchanged.

I can't imagine they wouldn't add Kings and Queens counties to the island.

You'd think. It's a golden opportunity to clean the logo up a bit.

Maybe they will. I mean, it would be a relatively minor change to add the new areas into the logo, and it would keep the continuity. I'm sure they will look at it. I take that comment not to mean they won't tweak it, just that they aren't going to make their logo a shield with NY over a hockey puck.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived