Brooklyn Islanders?

goforbroke

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perfect opportunity to get rid of that awful third with something Brooklyn themed.

that makes the most sense. keep the primary home and road, kill the obnoxious black third and replace it with a third that is brooklyn inspired (i'll even deal with it being black, just not the garbage they have now)

sig2024.png

Jay-Z doesn't co-own the Islanders. Therefore, the logo will not be changed into a black and white lump of generic garbage.

This. 100%.

The Brooklyn Net-Z's look astonishingly terrible. Jay-Z had the balls to crap all over decent music, now he's hemorrhaging into sports.

Eh... if you ask me, sports branding is the only medium where Jay-Z has ever shown any actual talent.

Seems like they've got to change their names. How can you have team called the Islanders that doesn't play on Long Island? Then again, we have teams like the Utah Jazz so anything is possible.

Others have already mentioned that Brooklyn is indeed on Long Island, but I'd just like to point out that New York City is comprised largely of islands - over 80% of the city's land area. Only the Bronx is connected to the mainland.

Aren't Queens and Brooklyn technically part of Long Island anyway, even if they don't always culturally identify with the rest of it?

Anyway, I'm doubting this is intended as a long-term plan for the Isles... at least not right now. They're probably doing this to leverage the non-NYC parts of the island for a new arena... but even if that never comes to fruition, at least they don't have to play at Nassau Mausoleum anymore.

Jay-Z doesn't co-own the Islanders. Therefore, the logo will not be changed into a black and white lump of generic garbage.

Hopefully they'll ditch their blue and orange lump of generic garbage, though.

I find this post pretty puzzling, considering the look you've said was their best...

Greg+Moore+New+Jersey+Devils+v+New+York+Islanders+NQztSZLjwlul.jpg

...is a far more generic and inferior Edge design.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

They could also just remove the island from the logo. That could clean it up and bring more focus upon the stick-NY element.

I'm inclined to agree, but would like to see someone post a rendering before I can fully endorse this suggestion.

The Islanders current logo isn't good. Classic or iconic? Definitely. But taking out its history it's just not good.

I think a slight tweak to the logo to include Brooklyn would be fine. You might have to take "Islanders" out of the circle to make that happen, but nothing drastic. And by saying the logo and name won't change, I think they just mean that they won't be going as far as the Nets with their move. Keeping the basic design of their crest would have most people say there was no change.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Brooklynized

28l9r1e.jpg

I'll admit: I LOLed. F'realz.

I'm thinking that our definitions of "generic" differ. It is reminiscent of the Pens' 80s look, but I don't know that I'd call that generic. I'm also not sure I'd call the current version generic, either, but it is a bit more "well, we put a couple stripes on a jersey".

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

This. 100%.

The Brooklyn Net-Z's look astonishingly terrible. Jay-Z had the balls to crap all over decent music, now he's hemorrhaging into sports.

Eh... if you ask me, sports branding is the only medium where Jay-Z has ever shown any actual talent.

He DID make the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can...

BCBannersSig.png

I'm thinking that our definitions of "generic" differ. It is reminiscent of the Pens' 80s look, but I don't know that I'd call that generic. I'm also not sure I'd call the current version generic, either, but it is a bit more "well, we put a couple stripes on a jersey".

Oh no, I agree with you there. I just found it odd that he ripped the Isles' current set for being "generic" while he has praised a far more dull and uninspired Edgified set.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I think you misunderstood where I was going with that. The "Edgified" set isn't really all that similar to the other Edge templates that came out; about the only thing it shares in common is the yoke outline, which I don't mind all that much. Without it, it's more similar to the old 80s/90s Penguins designs.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Of course NOW they decide to move into an arena not built for hockey (even though Gehry's design was meant to fit both).

I'm sure this is just a ploy to get Nassau County to pony up for a new arena eventually.

They signed a 25 year iron clad contract to go to Brooklyn. Not a ploy, they are gone.

The ironic thing is that Jay-Z owns less than 1% of the Nets. In the grand scheme of things, he doesn't matter. He's just a figurehead.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The ironic thing is that Jay-Z owns less than 1% of the Nets. In the grand scheme of things, he doesn't matter. He's just a figurehead.

But as far as their brand identity goes, they left it up to him because he basically knows more about the target audience and what would work best and sell. I'm not a big fan of his, but from a business standpoint for the Nets, you may not have a better person overseeing the process.

Archived