Brooklyn Islanders?

goforbroke

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perfect opportunity to get rid of that awful third with something Brooklyn themed.

that makes the most sense. keep the primary home and road, kill the obnoxious black third and replace it with a third that is brooklyn inspired (i'll even deal with it being black, just not the garbage they have now)

Possibly something inspired by the Brooklyn Americans. Although I think red, white, and blue is pretty much owned by the Rangers at this point.

He DID make the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can...

The ironic thing is that Jay-Z owns less than 1% of the Nets. In the grand scheme of things, he doesn't matter. He's just a figurehead.

But as far as their brand identity goes, they left it up to him because he basically knows more about the target audience and what would work best and sell. I'm not a big fan of his, but from a business standpoint for the Nets, you may not have a better person overseeing the process.

I really don't understand what's so great about Brooklyn as a brand anyway. I mean, there has to be something behind it besides just OMG JAY-Z SAYS IT'S GOOD SO EVEN THOUGH I'VE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO NEW YORK I MUST HAVE THAT JERSEY! What is it?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I really don't understand what's so great about Brooklyn as a brand anyway. I mean, there has to be something behind it besides just OMG JAY-Z SAYS IT'S GOOD SO EVEN THOUGH I'VE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO NEW YORK I MUST HAVE THAT JERSEY! What is it?

What's so good about New York as a brand? What's so good about LA? There're just certain meanings associated with Brooklyn that means good things to certain people these days, that's all.

What's so good about New York as a brand? What's so good about LA? There're just certain meanings associated with Brooklyn that means good things to certain people these days, that's all.

Yes, I know that, but Brooklyn itself doesn't necessarily have the shine and glamor that Los Angeles and other parts of New York do. I want to know exactly what it is about Brooklyn that draws people to the brand who wouldn't otherwise be associated with it. Or is it just people flocking to the brands Jay-Z endorses, just like how every "swag" jackass wears a Yankees hat even if he doesn't cheer for them?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

True, but not everything Brooklyn needs to be branded as such.

The Islanders built a glorious legacy under their current name. And trading "New York" for "Brooklyn" is a different thing. Comparing this to the Nets trading up from "New Jersey" requires a significant stretch.

It worked for the Nets, and not just because they were coming from New Jersey.

The Islanders built a glorious legacy under their current name.

Then they spent the following decades taking a protracted dump all over that glorious legacy, also under their current name.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I am sure in SOME way they will have something dedicated to Brooklyn in their jersey. Whether it be a new logo, or a shoulder patch.

It worked for the Nets, and not just because they were coming from New Jersey.

The Islanders built a glorious legacy under their current name.

Then they spent the following decades taking a protracted dump all over that glorious legacy, also under their current name.

True, but calling them Brooklyn alienates their old fans, which they are trying really hard to keep.

I want to know exactly what it is about Brooklyn that draws people to the brand who wouldn't otherwise be associated with it.

Brooklyn is about having the money to engage in a form of conspicuous consumption conversant with liberal/progressive ideals: "artisan" vendors, being around non-white people, etc. It's the mecca of feeling like a good person while also buying things.

2e4d9427ee3fc9fbcecd84bc23126946b6e9abfb.jpg

we go hard

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I want to know exactly what it is about Brooklyn that draws people to the brand who wouldn't otherwise be associated with it.

Brooklyn is about having the money to engage in a form of conspicuous consumption conversant with liberal/progressive ideals: "artisan" vendors, being around non-white people, etc. It's the mecca of feeling like a good person while also buying things.

we go hard

Will the fan base in Brooklyn embrace the Islanders? Every hockey fan I have met who is from there seems to like the Rangers.

Will the fan base in Brooklyn embrace the Islanders? Every hockey fan I have met who is from there seems to like the Rangers.

Probably not really, no, unless they're in from Islip and their parents pay their rent. The Isles spent years hyper-localizing themselves to the three million people in the two Long Island counties and now they're moving into the thick of Rags territory. I guess at least they got their arena on the LIRR I kept saying they needed! Kinda!

Probably not really, no, unless they're in from Islip and their parents pay their rent. The Isles spent years hyper-localizing themselves to the three million people in the two Long Island counties and now they're moving into the thick of Rags territory. I guess at least they got their arena on the LIRR I kept saying they needed! Kinda!

At least they have a fan base coming with them, the Nets have to start from scratch. Judging by the reaction they(Nets) got tonight in Nassau (ironically) 99.9% of NY still favours the Knicks.

we go hard

So hipsters with a side of white guilt?

"Hipster" is dead. They're neo-yuppies if they're anything.

I don't think hockey is even that popular among that particular strain of the white and image-conscious. All that fighting, all those white people, it's just not right.

"Hipster" is dead. They're neo-yuppies if they're anything.

I don't think hockey is even that popular among that particular strain of the white and image-conscious. All that fighting, all those white people, it's just not right.

Fair point. I remember reading a blog post by some "hipster" Bohemian ass a while back that was dripping with disdain for hockey because of the violence. I wish I could find it because it's worth a good laugh.

Seems like they've got to change their names. How can you have team called the Islanders that doesn't play on Long Island? Then again, we have teams like the Utah Jazz so anything is possible.

Others have already mentioned that Brooklyn is indeed on Long Island, but I'd just like to point out that New York City is comprised largely of islands - over 80% of the city's land area. Only the Bronx is connected to the mainland.

[mod redacted]

Brooklyn and Queens are actually on Long Island. Look at a map.

limap.gif

buffalo_sig.png

OH FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST

"LONG ISLAND" AS A CULTURAL ENTITY REFERS TO THE TWO COUNTIES WEST OF QUEENS

"LONG ISLAND" AS A PHYSICAL ENTITY IS LARGELY IRRELEVANT IN DAILY PARLANCE

CEASE THIS

Archived