Brooklyn Islanders?

goforbroke

Matt Beahan posted this to Uni Watch:

BrooklynIslanders.jpg

I was just coming here to post that! Literally took 2 minutes, just to see how it'd look with the whole island on there - a nice, simple tweak that I think works. The Islanders logo is one of my favourites, and it'd be a real shame to see it go altogether.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate when people call the '80/'81/'82/'83 Islanders "the forgotten dynasty." If you've forgotten Mike Bossy scoring 50 in 50, Billy Smith beating the crap out of people, Bryan Trottier being an all-time great hockey captain, or the fact that a team won four straight championships, man, like, what do you remember?

EDIT: that the team won its four straight championships is especially amazing considering the organization was built from the ground up only eight years prior to their first championship, and was hastily established for the sole purpose of freezing the WHA out of the Greater New York market. I find that quite remarkable.

I had no idea that people even forget or refer to those teams as "the forgotten dynasty". Four years is a long time in sports, so yes, I'm with you as far as wondering what one would remember if they can't remember those Islanders teams.

But the Giants have always been a team for the entire New York metropolitan area. The Islanders have been a team for Long Island, as the Devils have been for Jersey. That segmentation is what has always made it cool to have three teams in the same region. It's the closest we can get to how London has like eight soccer teams.

Did the Rangers ever really have all of NYC though? I was always under the impression that at least Queens leaned more towards the Islanders.

I don't think so. I mean, the Rangers fanbase permeates Long Island and North Jersey as it is. I don't even think you start hitting serious Devils territory till south of Newark.

Not true. While there are Ranger fans all over the damn place in Jersey, Bergen County is definitely major Devils country, especially northern Bergen County (think your Upper Saddle Rivers and the like), I grew up in Livingston (West Essex) and that's also Devils country as is Morris County just west of that. Once you get south of Rahway-ish, that starts to already wane as you're getting further and further from the Meadowlands where those first couple of generations of fans would've had to have gone to see them.

Yeah most of the Devils fans I know live in the area near Newark. Strangely, I'm down near Princeton and it's almost entirely Rangers fans. I went to Rutgers and even there it was a 50/50 split at best, more like 65/35 in favor of the Rangers.

Anubis.png

BrooklynIslanders.jpg

i love this.

also, LOTS of assumptions in this thread about islanders fans, long islanders, brooklynites, etc.

just saying, most of it is purely anecdotal conjecture.

this is a game changer for the franchise. i don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think islanders fans will follow the team to brooklyn.

Now that is how the Islanders should do a black alternate, rather than the ugliness they have now.

70389454.png

Hm. I have been made to believe by several people that the nice parts of Bergen, like I dunno Hackensack, are pretty Rangers-heavy.

Don't talk about what you don't know...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Matt Beahan posted this to Uni Watch:

BrooklynIslanders.jpg

Well done! This logo also preserves the nuance of the letter I pointing to the spot on the island where the arena is.

And it's nice how Jamaica Bay sits right above the curve of the S. I would bet that the Islanders' sweaters will carry a logo very much like this one (though with perhaps the further refinement necessary to show the Rockaway peninsula).

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Hm. I have been made to believe by several people that the nice parts of Bergen, like I dunno Hackensack, are pretty Rangers-heavy.

Well Jersey is littered with Ranger fans. Always has been, always will be. And I worked in Hackensack for two years, that's not "the nice part(s) of Bergen".

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I hate when people call the '80/'81/'82/'83 Islanders "the forgotten dynasty." If you've forgotten Mike Bossy scoring 50 in 50, Billy Smith beating the crap out of people, Bryan Trottier being an all-time great hockey captain, or the fact that a team won four straight championships, man, like, what do you remember?

EDIT: that the team won its four straight championships is especially amazing considering the organization was built from the ground up only eight years prior to their first championship, and was hastily established for the sole purpose of freezing the WHA out of the Greater New York market. I find that quite remarkable.

I agree with everything you said except Denis Potvin was the captain.

Amen

Any team that wins 19 straight playoff series (1980-1984) and was only 3 wins shy of winning a 20th straight playoff series should never be forgotten. It goes beyond remarkable.

The Catch of the Day!

Archived