Brooklyn Islanders?

goforbroke

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The name staying the same is a good thing. They'll need to tweak the logo though, if not outright resdesign it.

I can see them introducing a Brooklyn themed alternate to cash in on the success the Nets' rebrand is seeing.

Before this, was Brooklyn seen as Islanders or Rangers territory? More Rangers or Islanders fans? I'm not too familiar with the boroughs and who likes what.

I'm glad to hear they won't be the Brooklyn Islanders.

When the Islanders were formed the Rangers granted them territorial rights to Brooklyn.

Update to story says they will keep the same name

But does that mean "New York Islanders" or simply "Islanders?" You could make the case that the Nets kept the same name.

You could also make the case that speculating about that this much could drive you bat s@#% crazy. Some things are just so minor that it just needs to be a "wait and see" approach.

Before this, was Brooklyn seen as Islanders or Rangers territory? More Rangers or Islanders fans? I'm not too familiar with the boroughs and who likes what.

I'm glad to hear they won't be the Brooklyn Islanders.

When the Islanders were formed the Rangers granted them territorial rights to Brooklyn.

I don't know how big hockey is in brooklyn, but the few hockey fans I know from Brooklyn are Islanders fans.. I assume the Islanders share a similar fan base as the Jets and Mets, so brooklyn, queens, and long island would be Islanders fan-base.

The Rangers granted territorial rights which allows them to move there, but that is from a business end. They share the same tv market (and TV network MSG and MSG-plus) and that territorial rights you're talking about doesn't really efine the fan base. Its just for legal reasons.

Update to story says they will keep the same name

But does that mean "New York Islanders" or simply "Islanders?" You could make the case that the Nets kept the same name.

Also a good point. Brooklyn Islanders ... I know Brooklyn is technically part of Long Island as it is on the same island.. but generally speaking most people associate Long island with Nassau and Suffolk counties, so the name Brooklyn Islanders doesn't make much sense. So, if they are keeping the same "name" it would really only work if it was New York.

But keeping the same name doesn't mean they are keeping the same logo or colors -- however I expect them too after the feedback from the fishstick overhaul they did. Maybe they'll introduce a Brooklyn themed secondary logo

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

The name staying the same is a good thing. They'll need to tweak the logo though, if not outright resdesign it.

I can see them introducing a Brooklyn themed alternate to cash in on the success the Nets' rebrand is seeing.

The tweak that will be necessary will be the addition of Brooklyn and Queens to the depiction of Long Island in the logo. The current logo depicts only Nassau and Suffolk Counties, which is, as Goforbroke said, what the most common meaning of "Long Island" is. (Edited to add that Goforbroke has already posted a graphic showing this.)

Anyway, it's interesting that the Barclays Center will be home both to Long Island University, which is located only about a half a mile away, and to the Islanders.

I hope the Isles don't change the logo; their NY-hockey stick is an excellent mark. I can, however see them altering the colours, and maybe even adopting the Nets' black and white. (At the fan site Nets Daily, the biggest complaint that fans express on the question of the Islanders' potential move into the Nets' arena is the colours, which are the same as the Knicks' colours.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I'd hate to see them change their colors because of the Knicks. I think most fans are smart enough not to be bothered by that.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived