New York Islanders moving to Brooklyn

Waffles

Via the New York Post:

Developer Bruce Ratner has scored a major goal by landing the Islanders ice hockey team for his Barclay's arena in downtown Brooklyn, sources said.

The announcement was expected at a press conference this afternoon with Ratner, Mayor Bloomberg, Islanders owner Charles Wang, National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman and Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz.

Barclay's is already the home field of the Nets basketball team and its CEO, Brett Yornark will be attending the press conference as well.

Ratner had said earlier that he was "trying like hell" to lure the Islanders to Brooklyn from Long Island and called a planned exhibition game against the Devils, which was canceled due to the NHL lockout, an audition for the city's newest arena.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islanders/islanders_skate_to_barclays_in_brooklyn_s8QVci06EOnyL06hK4atnL

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hope is that they keep the "New York Islanders" name, as opposed to "Brooklyn Islanders" or, even worse, ditching Islanders. Then I hope they leave the colors and, yes, even the 1970s logo alone.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

:therock: I thought Barclay's was so tiny, and it had horrible sightlines for hockey? Yeesh...

It is. I'd bet that they make some renovations (already) to accommodate them. Not like they had the opportunity to plan the arena with them in mind, oh wait...

...you know, if there ever is an NHL again...

By the way, as part of the Islanders $4.5 Million fee to the Rangers when they became a franchise, they were awarded territory as Queens, Brooklyn, Nassau, and Suffolk. Bet the Rangers would like to have that one back...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

So Brooklyn goes from no teams to two (well two theoretically). Not bad.

I hope they keep the "New York Islanders" name, just due to the history behind it. The logo will need a slight tweaking at the very least though.

My hope is that they keep the "New York Islanders" name, as opposed to "Brooklyn Islanders" or, even worse, ditching Islanders. Then I hope they leave the colors and, yes, even the 1970s logo alone.

When you consider how much change was done to the NBA's Nets franchise, it makes me think that they might do the same thing and make a lot of changes to the Islanders too.

But there's no way that they are going to name themselves the "Brooklyn Islanders". That sounds awful. Either keep the full name, logo, and colors, or re-brand yourselves completely.

Either keep the full name, logo, and colors, or re-brand yourselves completely.

They'd have to tweak the logo at the very least. The current logo features a silhouette of Long Isnd that omits the part that contains Brooklyn.

And yet their attendance will go up once they move.

Although this might make for a longer drive for existing Islander fans, this seems about the best they could hope for. The team stays in the general area, right on the train lines.

Either keep the full name, logo, and colors, or re-brand yourselves completely.

They'd have to tweak the logo at the very least. The current logo features a silhouette of Long Isnd that omits the part that contains Brooklyn.

And Queens.

Tweak the logo to include all of Long Island, maybe bring back the lighthouse logo for the shoulders, and keep everything else the same.

Save that silly alternate, at least.

Via the New York Post:

Developer Bruce Ratner has scored a major goal by landing the Islanders ice hockey team for his Barclay's arena in downtown Brooklyn, sources said.

The announcement was expected at a press conference this afternoon with Ratner, Mayor Bloomberg, Islanders owner Charles Wang, National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman and Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz.

Barclay's is already the home field of the Nets basketball team and its CEO, Brett Yornark will be attending the press conference as well.

Ratner had said earlier that he was "trying like hell" to lure the Islanders to Brooklyn from Long Island and called a planned exhibition game against the Devils, which was canceled due to the NHL lockout, an audition for the city's newest arena.

http://www.nypost.co...6EOnyL06hK4atnL

But Barclays isn't designed for hockey? Is this a short term thing?

Hockey in a basketball arena? The place holds almost 2,000 less for hockey than the Coliseum.

14,500 at full capacity is better than 11,000 in a 16,250 capacity arena.

I guess it is a bit of a clever move. When they move to Brooklyn, they're most likely going to pack those 14 thousand seats just by being there, especially whenever they play the Rangers or even the Devils. But in the long run, when the novelty of a second team in NYC wears off, and I feel like it will rather quickly with a much better team a subway trip away, 11 thousand is still 11 thousand.

oBIgzrL.png

You're building an arena in one of the largest metro areas in the world so naturally you make it only big enough for the smallest thing that can happen there. I still can't get over that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Hockey in a basketball arena? The place holds almost 2,000 less for hockey than the Coliseum.

14,500 at full capacity is better than 11,000 in a 16,250 capacity arena.

I guess it is a bit of a clever move. When they move to Brooklyn, they're most likely going to pack those 14 thousand seats just by being there, especially whenever they play the Rangers or even the Devils. But in the long run, when the novelty of a second team in NYC wears off, and I feel like it will rather quickly with a much better team a subway trip away, 11 thousand is still 11 thousand.

But to be 1000 seats less than the smallest arena in the NHL (Winnipeg)? In the largest metro area in the US? Seems pretty pathetic. Not to mention the sightlines for many of those 14,500 seats being terrible (to say nothing of the off center video boards).

If there is a season, would they play there this year or in 2013?

Good for the Islanders though. People forget how iconic of a team they are because of their recent struggles. I'm glad they're not moving anytime soon.

That to me is the one good thing coming out of this, if the rumored 25 year duration of the contract turns out to be real. The Islanders are staying in NY leaving one less team to be poached north of the border. Namely because there's a team in Phoenix we all know should be the one moving north.

If there is a season, would they play there this year or in 2013?

Good for the Islanders though. People forget how iconic of a team they are because of their recent struggles. I'm glad they're not moving anytime soon.

No. And it's looking like it's 2015-16 season would be the first one for them in Barclays. They'll be playing this season (if it happens) and next at Nassau finishing out the lease they have there. Plus it gives them time presumably to modify Barclays to better host hockey (because it's not capable in the current config).

Archived