New York Islanders moving to Brooklyn

Waffles

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their logo is a jumbled collection of competing elements hastily thrown into a generic roundel, and it also is completely wrong for Brooklyn for the reasons mentioned above.

You say that like it's an indisputable fact.

It may not be, but it's not fiction either.

It's neither. I think the technical term for what's going on here is "difference of opinion."

BB52Big.jpg

Do you think the demand for events in the Long Island suburbs is still high enough to necessitate an arena? Could they have gotten private money behind one? It wouldn't even have to be an expensive rusty spaceship that changes the way we think about wasting money, just an acceptably functional venue, kind of like the Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena is out here.

Honestly, I don't think the demand is there anymore. The private money would have had to come from Wang to build a privately funded arena which was money he didn't want to spend. IIRC from the Lighthouse project the arena wasn't going to be a new arena but a heavily renovated NVMC.

Additionally the referendum that the County had never was binding. The County could have floated the bonds without the vote. An election that cost the cash strapped county over $2 million to conduct. Seemed like a big old dog and pony show to me.

I disagree on that point. There is still how many million people out on the island? You're telling me they couldn't easily fill a 7,500-9,000 seat arena for a big concert or Disney on Ice or whatever? Maybe hold an occasional Hofstra or preseason NBA game, etc.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Their logo is a jumbled collection of competing elements hastily thrown into a generic roundel, and it also is completely wrong for Brooklyn for the reasons mentioned above.

That's not a generic roundel, that's simply a circular logo. These are generic roundels:

nY9ao.gif

2Ab73.gif

pobT6.gif

qXbDJ.gif

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Here's the seating chart for the Islanders' preseason game at the Barclays Center:

barclays-center-seating-chart.jpg?w=551&h=381

As you can see, one entire end of seats is either blocked off entirely or comprised of obstructed view seating. Not ideal from a team revenue perspective, or fan environment perspective. It really goes to show how desperate the situation was in Nassau County when THIS was seen as the desirable alternative. Reminds me of the America West Arena in Phoenix before the Coyotes moved out to Glendale.

But that said, I have to echo the comments of earlier posters that questioned how an arena so small could have been built in one of the world's biggest cities. The NYI's predicament wasn't exactly a secret - you'd think they'd have made some movement toward getting the building ready for hockey. Or then again maybe they figured that the Islanders would take anything and there was no need to deviate from the basketball-only design of the place.

As a hockey venue, the Barclays Centre looks like it would be awesome... for the AHL.

The venue was built the way it was because that's the only way he could get clearance to build it.

The original plan was big enough for basketball and hockey both, but he had to scale back the original concept to gain enough public favor to pass his eminent domain, which remains controversial even in its diminished form.

It's neither. I think the technical term for what's going on here is "difference of opinion."

Well, no, it's an indisputable fact that their current logo leaves out Brooklyn entirely and also shows the approximate location of the Nassau Coliseum.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well, no, it's an indisputable fact that their current logo leaves out Brooklyn entirely and also shows the approximate location of the Nassau Coliseum.

That's not what I was replying to. It's pretty clear that I was replying to "Their logo is a jumbled collection of competing elements hastily thrown into a generic roundel." You stated it like it was indisputable fact. There was no real mention of the incorrect geography in the logo in the post I replied to. So, yeah, it's still just your opinion. But by all means, let's argue about it for a few more pages.

BB52Big.jpg

Here's the seating chart for the Islanders' preseason game at the Barclays Center:

barclays-center-seating-chart.jpg?w=551&h=381

As you can see, one entire end of seats is either blocked off entirely or comprised of obstructed view seating. Not ideal from a team revenue perspective, or fan environment perspective. It really goes to show how desperate the situation was in Nassau County when THIS was seen as the desirable alternative. Reminds me of the America West Arena in Phoenix before the Coyotes moved out to Glendale.

But that said, I have to echo the comments of earlier posters that questioned how an arena so small could have been built in one of the world's biggest cities. The NYI's predicament wasn't exactly a secret - you'd think they'd have made some movement toward getting the building ready for hockey. Or then again maybe they figured that the Islanders would take anything and there was no need to deviate from the basketball-only design of the place.

As a hockey venue, the Barclays Centre looks like it would be awesome... for the AHL.

Well to America West's credit, it was a better arena for the Yotes than Glendale has turned out to be. Bad sightlines and all.

That's not what I was replying to. It's pretty clear that I was replying to "Their logo is a jumbled collection of competing elements hastily thrown into a generic roundel." You stated it like it was indisputable fact. There was no real mention of the incorrect geography in the logo in the post I replied to. So, yeah, it's still just your opinion. But by all means, let's argue about it for a few more pages.

I never stated it was a fact, I just probably should have said "IMO."

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

A playing-around mockup from some commentor on Deadspin:

original.png

Matt Beahan posted this to Uni Watch. It's so much better, keeping the old shape of the island as well as the "road map to the arena" aspect:

BrooklynIslanders.jpg

Perfect. Nothing else needed.

Somehow making it an oval makes it even worse. I seriously can't find one thing about that logo that's appealing. It's a horrible jumble of messy elements. Well, at least the circle's rendered well.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

What do we know about the terms of this agreement so far... and more specifically, would the Islanders be able to break the lease if a new arena were built in Nassau or Suffolk?

I keep getting a feeling that this is all just a very convenient tactic to leverage one from the suburban counties that can't really fail because even if it doesn't work, at least they don't have to play at the Mausoleum anymore.

We don't know anything about the details, but I wouldn't expect them to announce a 25-year lease if they weren't pretty sure. They could easily have announced a 5-year lease, or even a year-to-year, to keep the threat of Canadian relocation alive and thereby extort Nassau or Suffolk.

What leverage could they have gained with the Brooklyn announcement? "Build us a new stadium, or the fans in your community... will have to drive an extra half-hour to get to the games!"

We don't know anything about the details, but I wouldn't expect them to announce a 25-year lease if they weren't pretty sure. They could easily have announced a 5-year lease, or even a year-to-year, to keep the threat of Canadian relocation alive and thereby extort Nassau or Suffolk.

What leverage could they have gained with the Brooklyn announcement? "Build us a new stadium, or the fans in your community... will have to drive an extra half-hour to get to the games!"

All true. There isn't any way they would use this as pure leverage, as Gothamite said, they wouldn't announce a 25 year lease in a brand new arena that would gain them national visibility and relevance just as a bluff. That being said, as a lifelong and long-suffering Islanders fan, I think this is the best-case scenario for the team. I think this mirrors the Brooklyn Nets. When the Nets shipped out of a crappy old building in the suburbs into a brand spanking new building in a marquee location, every big-time free agent was suddenly interested, even though they were still a bad team going into last offseason. Hopefully if they ever play hockey again, the same can happen for my beloved Islanders.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

From what they said it is an "iron-clad" lease. Implying that they can't break it, at least not easily. Seems to me they've given up on Nassau for the foreseeable future since this lease pretty much destroyed any leverage they might have gained by it. Seems to me they've decided on Brooklyn for the long haul as even with its deficencies, they can make a ton more money in a sub optimal situation in Brooklyn than they could in Nassau.

Here's what Newsday said about the lease:

The terms of the lease were not disclosed, but Wang said he will remain the full owner of the Islanders and indicated the deal was "ironclad," without an opt-out clause.

Archived