New York Islanders moving to Brooklyn

Waffles

BTW, how ugly is the Barclays Center from the outside?

Barclays%20Center-690a.jpg

I didn't like it at all when I first saw the plans, but it's very cool in person. Love the weathering steel.

Until they rust all over the sidewalks and then start corroding the rest of the structure.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a smaller difference between the 41,000th and 51,000th seat in a baseball stadium hosting 81 games a year than there is a difference between the 15,000th and 18,000th seat in a hockey arena hosting 41 games a year.

Hey, I agree, but the fact is that the two newest rinks in the NHL are in the 14,000-15,000 seat range.

But you also have to concede that neither arena was designed with an NHL team in mind.

Wrong. When the original designs for the MTSC we're drawn up, it was only supposed to seat 10,500. Chipman and Bettman worked together to being the arena attendance up to something resembling NHL acceptable levels for a market of Winnipeg's size.

Also, considering it cost them only 20M or so more to make it the size it was rather than the smaller capacity, it ended up being a no brainer.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

BTW, how ugly is the Barclays Center from the outside?

Barclays%20Center-690a.jpg

I didn't like it at all when I first saw the plans, but it's very cool in person. Love the weathering steel.

Until they rust all over the sidewalks and then start corroding the rest of the structure.

If it's the same type of steel as the Stelco tower in Hamilton, then a) it doesn't rust all over the sidewalk and B) it doesn't corrode the rest of the structure. As I understand it, it's no different than the use of copper roofing, once the rusting process is complete the metal underneath is protected.

tigercatssignature-1.png

Pretty much. It is meant to rust, and once that outer layer oxidizes thats it, its not going to continue corroding anything.

However...it can and has stained sidewalks before.

It's New York City. I really don't think many will notice...or care. :P

As an aside, I went through Brooklyn a couple days ago—the majority of the time I stay on the freeway to the LIE when I'm up on Long Island, but this time I chose to take the scenic route, straight downpast Atlantic Avenue—and went straight past this place. It's an interesting-looking building for sure, but I can only assume that some other buildings are due to go up around the Barclays, because right now the shape and design looks kinda out of place with the rest of downtown BK. (And am I the only one reminded of those old HBO movie opening sequences when I see this building??)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That's the one...right at about the 1:06 mark.

At least now I know I ain't totally crazy.....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

But you're right - the Barclays Center is the first of a series of buildings Rattner is going to put up, including residences and retail.

Those are his real project, and the Barclays Center is in the end just the carrot that he dangled before the council to convince the city to use its eminent domain powers on his behalf.

The Brooklyn logo's been leaked onto Reddit:

0OyOZ.jpg

Love this logo.

Anyone know who designed it?

What exactly is the tattoo on the left arm (can't make out the name and it looks like it is probably some kind of motorcycle or possibly bike)

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

• 5 months later...

Well, will the Unidentified Flying Omni have been retrofitted into something faintly resembling an NHL-calibre arena by the end of next season? I know that's the plan. Because if not, they'd better hold their horses and continue staging hockey games in a building intended for staging hockey games.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, will the Unidentified Flying Omni have been retrofitted into something faintly resembling an NHL-calibre arena by the end of next season? I know that's the plan. Because if not, they'd better hold their horses and continue staging hockey games in a building intended for staging hockey games.

According to NetsDaily, there are some "construction needs" that are dictating the timeframe. A new locker room is the only thing specifically mentioned, though.

• 4 months later...

The architecture/development/entertainment team that developed the Barclays Center has won the rights to revamp the Nassau Coliseum, beating out Madison Square Garden. According to NetsDaily, this could lead to an earlier move for the Islanders:

The question now is how soon the rehab will begin. Under the terms of their lease with Nassau County, the Islanders can't move to Barclays Center until 2015. But it's doubtful either the county or Ratner team will want to wait that long to start the 15-month renovation. That opens the possibility of a negotiated exit, in much the way the Nets departed the Izod Center. Some reports have indicated that the Islanders could be in Brooklyn by 2014-15. The Nets/Barclays Center business side has already taken over business operations of the Islanders.

As part of their pitch, the Barclays team also said they'd bring an AHL franchise to the renovated Coliseum.

The architecture/development/entertainment team that developed the Barclays Center has won the rights to revamp the Nassau Coliseum, beating out Madison Square Garden. According to NetsDaily, this could lead to an earlier move for the Islanders:

The question now is how soon the rehab will begin. Under the terms of their lease with Nassau County, the Islanders can't move to Barclays Center until 2015. But it's doubtful either the county or Ratner team will want to wait that long to start the 15-month renovation. That opens the possibility of a negotiated exit, in much the way the Nets departed the Izod Center. Some reports have indicated that the Islanders could be in Brooklyn by 2014-15. The Nets/Barclays Center business side has already taken over business operations of the Islanders.

As part of their pitch, the Barclays team also said they'd bring an AHL franchise to the renovated Coliseum.

If I were a Bridgeport Sound Tigers fan, I'd be REALLY nervous right now...

bYhYmxh.png

Ooo. Interesting thought. What's their lease situation?

And how would Long Islanders feel about being essentially relegated to the minors? Losing their team and having it replaced with its own farm club?

Locked into Webster Bank Arena until 2021, per Wikipedia.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived