NFL stadiums need better, more unique music

Ark

The pageantry of college football will always outpace the NFL.

The traditions of the college game far, far out-date their professional counterparts. Yes, the NFL was officially started in 1920 and has roots back to the 1890s, but the modern era of the NFL came about in 1966 with the AFL merger and creation/adoption of the Super Bowl as the championship game for the NFL.

In some respects, you could say that NCAAF lagged behind the NFL since we're only NOW implementing a playoff system in FBS. But all the traditions (bowls, team rituals, etc) have been in place for decades.

Also, because players only play for a college team for 4(ish) years, the "concept" or "idea" of a team out-lasts the individual player. In the NFL, you can get a dynasty player like Brett Favre or Peyton Manning who completely shapes an entire team for years and years. In college, players can't affect the entire sway of a whole athletic program quite as much.

Because of that factor, traditions become more important than the individual.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Agreed... but it would be nice to see teams like the Packers, Bears, Giants, Lions, etc. whose roots stretch far beyond the merger revive some of their "lost" traditions. As a Packers fan, I'd much rather hear Go You Packers Go! after touchdowns than some generic redneck rock song like Bang On The Drum. Goodness help me, I've actually started to envy the Bears fans who get to sing Bear Down.

Also, Packers, PLEASE choose another song for the intros besides "Y'all Ready For This" (or whatever its called)... that "song" was played out by the time it appeared on Jock Jams.

The traditions of the college game far, far out-date their professional counterparts. Yes, the NFL was officially started in 1920 and has roots back to the 1890s, but the modern era of the NFL came about in 1966 with the AFL merger and creation/adoption of the Super Bowl as the championship game for the NFL.

In some respects, you could say that NCAAF lagged behind the NFL since we're only NOW implementing a playoff system in FBS. But all the traditions (bowls, team rituals, etc) have been in place for decades.

Also, because players only play for a college team for 4(ish) years, the "concept" or "idea" of a team out-lasts the individual player. In the NFL, you can get a dynasty player like Brett Favre or Peyton Manning who completely shapes an entire team for years and years. In college, players can't affect the entire sway of a whole athletic program quite as much.

I like the NFL more though, because it has a tradition of having better players and a better product.

I like the NFL more though, because it has a tradition of having better players and a better product.

That depends on what you mean by "a better product." Different people value different aspects of the game. I like college football because I can cheer for MY alma mater, where I spent my college years rooting on my friends and classmates. My school means much more to me than the millionaires playing down the road. I like to go to games (for much less money), see the student body get pumped up, sing our fight song, do the cheers, and tailgate with generations of alums.

To me that is a much better product: I'm supporting a program with which I am personally involved rather than a billion dollar franchise in whose media territory I happen to have been born.

That said, I love my pro team and want to watch them win. But it will never match my school.

Grunge-Logos.png

I have gone completely off college athletics because they are fundamentally dishonest and corrupt to the core.

Ostensibly about enriching the lives of students, college sports are now about enriching the athletic departments and the leeches that feed off of them. The schools' central mandate is too often ignored when inconvenient, and millionaire boosters are allowed to run unchecked.

The whole process is sickening, and makes me wish we could break the system down. I favor a rule change that would require any accredited university to put all athletic department revenues into the general fund or something. Anything to remove the stink of corruption.

Listening to college football games, the marching bands sound so much better than the generic music that blasts in every NFL stadium. It's football's version of organ music.

Oh pfffffffft. Bands run ten songs into the ground too, except instead of "Get Ready For This," "Kernkraft 400," and "Crazy Train," it's "Smoke on the Water," "Gimme Some Lovin'," "and "Crazy Train."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes has become the new "Rock and Roll, Part II". Every stadium (pro and college) all of a sudden decided last year to run the song into the ground at minimum of six times a game. And are now, some are even feeding "Oooooooo" chants through the speakers to make it sounds as if fans are really getting into it (which they're not), ala the WWE.

6uXNWAo.png

Slightly off topic, but I like NCAAF better than the NFL due to the variety in offenses. The NFL is more nuanced, but all teams use a relatively similar playbook. In NCAAF you can still see Navy running the Triple Option, Oregon running a Spread-Speed Blur thing, Wisconsin running a power ground game, etc.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived