Brass

Star Wars Movie Thread

Bucfan56    3,589

I read in another report that Lucas sold the company to Disney for cash and stock in the Disney company. That's unreal.

CS85    5,110

I don't know how to feel about this yet. I'm guessing it's going to be a corny CG kidz fest, but if they can tell a great story and make it work, I'll keep an open mind.

Really, they can't do worse than the prequels. They're basically unwatchable, IMHO, so really anything they make can't be worse then those. The question is more about method. Do they want this to be a similar money-bag where the product is :censored:, but they profit regardless, or will they make it a labor of love and open up a whole new world of awesome adventure?

One way they CAN make something badass is by basing the new movies off of this:

thrawn_trilogy-300x300.jpg

If they do go with the Thrawn Trilogy, I would be very, very pleased, but I think the themes may be too serious for them if they're wanting to make a kids movie. If they have the chutzpah to restore Star Wars to it's sci-fi/action-adventure roots, they can adapt the Thrawn Trilogy, infuse non-insufferable elements that kids can grasp, and make a tremendous follow up to restore faith in fans. So many variables that it's impossible to speculate, unfortunately.

Ice_Cap    7,425

Well....

Hopefully this will mean a new trilogy won't be in Lucas' hands, creatively speaking. That could make this not so bad....

CS85    5,110
Well....

Hopefully this will mean a new trilogy won't be in Lucas' hands, creatively speaking. That could make this not so bad....

Lucas will serve as a "creative consultant," but won't produce or direct the next films.

Said Lucas:

"It's now time for me to pass `Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

DDR    927

If this leads to more Star Wars themed rides at Walt Disney World then I'm totally on board with this.

Ice_Cap    7,425
Well....

Lucas will serve as a "creative consultant," but won't produce or direct the next films.

Said Lucas:

"It's now time for me to pass `Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Thank G-d. Lucas' complete control was what sunk the prequels from the moment they were greenlit.

rvrdgsfn    88

Well, it made me think back to when Disney bought Marvel & I thought, either this will be a benefit or it will backfire. IMO, Marvel has thrived since the mouse took over. I just hope that Disney doesn't mess this up. Maybe this is the shot in the arm that is needed. I mean, it can't be worse than Ep. 1 right?

Gfonk04    14

I mean, it can't be worse than Ep. 1 right?

That's what I said after Episode 1... How wrong I was.

With luck, this will turn out like the first Pirates of the Caribbean, funny, enjoyable, true to the spirit of the franchise, with high production value.

Without luck, it'll be like the other Pirate movies: trying too hard to be Star Wars rather than just trying to be good movies that are fun and entertaining.

With terrible luck it'll be like the prequels.

Mindless    30

There goes my hopes that there won't be any more Indiana Jones movies. I can see Disney continuing this franchise with a new actor.

jrodsep    384

So let me get this straight Disney buys Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilms?!?!?!?

Hell yeah. I can smell the inevitable Pixar vs Marvel vs Star Wars crossover movie. Just imagine Iron Man vs. Boba Fett vs Mr. Incredible. That by itself prints money. And let's not forget the new theme park from Disney, Luxarvel Land, opening in 2020.

/Sarcasm

I actually don't know which is worst buying Marvel or George Lu....err Lucasfilm. Let's just hope for an animated Star Wars movie directed by Brad Bird. That's the best they could do.

rams80    2,717

What Episode VII should be: Heir to the Empire

What Episode VII is likely going to be: Some dumbed down CGI-infused crapfest with at least one character who makes you think fondly of Jar Jar Binks and wish the Sith end up destroying the galaxy. Also, it will be a musical.

/At least it won't be as big a cluster :censored: as that "hypothetically Frank Miller-directed" Justice League Movie.