Brass

Star Wars Movie Thread

1,232 posts in this topic

I'm hoping Episode VII takes place in conjunction with the current novels. They just finished up with Fate of the Jedi 9-novel storyline, which takes place 43 years after Episode IV.

Yes, Fate of the Jedi would be wonderful. :upside: I assume the first movie would just be Ewan MacGregor explaining to the audience the particulars of the Bantam Novel Series, The New Jedi Order Series, and Legacy of the Force Series or else much of your audience is going to experience the kind of continuity lockout you can only get by randomly picking up a present-day comic book of one of DC or Marvel's tertiary characters without any prior knowledge of the series. Bring lots of Mountain Dew; this is going to be quite the infodump.

Your sarcasm is cute but horribly flawed. Episode IV, V, and VI all came out before all the events that occurred prior to without any issue. It took years before Lucas went back and explained the Clone Wars and everything else. And even then, there was a big gap between Episode III and IV. Heck, there's a large gap between II and III as well. Episode VII will more than likely be for the next generation of Star Wars fans and will center around Ben Skywalker, Allana Solo, Jaina Solo-Fel, Vestara Khai, and Darth Krayt & his One Sith. All the events that occurred in between VI and VII will be mentioned here and there and this also gives Disney to opportunity to go back and tell some of those tales in different (more than likely animated) ways. Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill are too old to try to recreate roles that ocurred directly after Return of the Jedi. Their ages do however fit perfectly into post Fate of the Jedi events. Plus, it would take a lot of CGI assistance to make Carrie Fisher look like Princess Leia (post-Return of the Jedi).

Well disney made the avengers so if its that good

They also made Pirates of the Caribbean 3. Checkmate.

I'm hoping Episode VII takes place in conjunction with the current novels. They just finished up with Fate of the Jedi 9-novel storyline, which takes place 43 years after Episode IV.

Yes, Fate of the Jedi would be wonderful. :upside: I assume the first movie would just be Ewan MacGregor explaining to the audience the particulars of the Bantam Novel Series, The New Jedi Order Series, and Legacy of the Force Series or else much of your audience is going to experience the kind of continuity lockout you can only get by randomly picking up a present-day comic book of one of DC or Marvel's tertiary characters without any prior knowledge of the series. Bring lots of Mountain Dew; this is going to be quite the infodump.

Your sarcasm is cute but horribly flawed. Episode IV, V, and VI all came out before all the events that occurred prior to without any issue. It took years before Lucas went back and explained the Clone Wars and everything else. And even then, there was a big gap between Episode III and IV. Heck, there's a large gap between II and III as well. Episode VII will more than likely be for the next generation of Star Wars fans and will center around Ben Skywalker, Allana Solo, Jaina Solo-Fel, Vestara Khai, and Darth Krayt & his One Sith. All the events that occurred in between VI and VII will be mentioned here and there and this also gives Disney to opportunity to go back and tell some of those tales in different (more than likely animated) ways. Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill are too old to try to recreate roles that ocurred directly after Return of the Jedi. Their ages do however fit perfectly into post Fate of the Jedi events. Plus, it would take a lot of CGI assistance to make Carrie Fisher look like Princess Leia (post-Return of the Jedi).

They'll recast the leads a la Star Trek. That's far more viable and workable from picking up after anywhere from 9 (for Ben) to 30-40 (for Jaina) novels (not even touching the comic books and light novels) worth of character development, much of which is indeed quite necessary to understand the actions, motivations, and behavior of the protagonists and completely unknown to the bulk of your viewership.

The time gap between the Prequels and the Classic trilogy was workable because the E.U. hadn't really explored the Universe's past all that well prior to Episode I (likely on the insistence of Skywalker Ranch). Beyond a few vague ideas such as "Obi-wan trained Anakin", "There was something called the Clone Wars", and "Obi-wan fought Anakin, resulting in Anakin being permanently confined to the black armor; lava may have been involved here", it was a completely blank slate. Conversely, the Post Episode VI E.U. and characters are very explored, very established, and the exact opposite of a blank slate with plenty of wiggle room for write-arounds. And indeed, Fate of the Jedi does need certain knowledge of the backstory in the E.U. leading up to that series to fully understand what the :censored: is going on.

I'm actually very excited to see how this turns out, and who will be playing the roles of Luke, Leia, etc. The legacy of Star Wars is already kind of ruined, so its not like these new films will make the franchise's legacy any worse.

This is also a really, really smart thing to do, as people will go see this movie even if it turns out to be 2 Girls 1 cup with wookiee costumes. They're going to make bank no matter what.

1 person likes this

They'll recast the leads a la Star Trek. That's far more viable and workable from picking up after anywhere from 9 (for Ben) to 30-40 (for Jaina) novels (not even touching the comic books and light novels) worth of character development, much of which is indeed quite necessary to understand the actions, motivations, and behavior of the protagonists and completely unknown to the bulk of your viewership.

The time gap between the Prequels and the Classic trilogy was workable because the E.U. hadn't really explored the Universe's past all that well prior to Episode I (likely on the insistence of Skywalker Ranch). Beyond a few vague ideas such as "Obi-wan trained Anakin", "There was something called the Clone Wars", and "Obi-wan fought Anakin, resulting in Anakin being permanently confined to the black armor; lava may have been involved here", it was a completely blank slate. Conversely, the Post Episode VI E.U. and characters are very explored, very established, and the exact opposite of a blank slate with plenty of wiggle room for write-arounds. And indeed, Fate of the Jedi does need certain knowledge of the backstory in the E.U. leading up to that series to fully understand what the :censored: is going on.

The most pressing thing to note as far as fandom goes is that a new trilogy taking place post-RotJ will absolutely wreck the extended universe. The EU almost seems to have banked on the notion that there would never be a film series set post-RotJ. Even if the new trilogy is based off of popular EU material, they will change things for the films. Heck, I think it's possible for Disney to just say "screw all of that stuff, we're going to do what we want to do" (aka the Michael Bay approach).

Whatever happens, a lot of "canon" as it where is about to be deep-6'd.

They could just go the JJ Abrams route and say it's a different continuity.

The most pressing thing to note as far as fandom goes is that a new trilogy taking place post-RotJ will absolutely wreck the extended universe. The EU almost seems to have banked on the notion that there would never be a film series set post-RotJ. Even if the new trilogy is based off of popular EU material, they will change things for the films. Heck, I think it's possible for Disney to just say "screw all of that stuff, we're going to do what we want to do" (aka the Michael Bay approach).

I think Thrawn is "doable" from a film perspective without causing catastrophic damage to existing E.U. continuity. The big issue is how you pare it down into a 2-3 hour per book timeframe. I could see some of the subplots going away or being shrunk-and toss out some (much?) of the navel-gazing and Jedi philosophy discussions.

The problem with deep 6ing E.U. canon is that there's a lot of it and while it may not make up the majority of the Giant Star Wars money tree that Disney is buying here, it is a large enough minority that they probably don't want to obsolete it in its entirety. And sees as Thrawn is the foundation of the entire E.U. novel series (remember all those characters, plot elements, and series components that are introduced in Thrawn?) it might not be a bad idea to start there.

Marvel made the Avengers, under Disney's Ownership. Lucasfilm will be making Star Wars Episode VII, under Disney's Ownership.

If it's going to be a continuation of the previous films in any way, I don't see why it would end up being an animated film. All that will be different is that George Lucas won't be involved.

This is possible if they jump right into the New Jedi Order storylines. Why tell tales that have already been told? The Star Wars films have yet to do that and I don't see this being any different.

Episode VII will be the launching pad for a new generation of Star Wars fans. As a die-hard Star Wars fan of the movies and novels (I've read them all, yes, all of them), I'm almost 99.9% sold that Ep.VII will deal with the aftermaths of Crucible (July 2013) and the Sword of the Jedi trilogy (2014). Thus, zero canon is broken outside of the Legacy comics (though the Legacy comics canon seems to be going away regardless of Ep VII). The Vong War, Darth Sidious returning way too many times, Thrawn, Dark Nest, Darth Caedus, Abeloth, and etc that have occurred since Return of the Jedi will probably be explained by other means (i.e. animated shows/movies and etc).

Obviously people will be all over this upcoming movie and we will find out the truth as far as the overall plot, but I'll be absolutely shocked if this movie takes place prior to Fate of the Jedi. Just not happening.

They could just go the JJ Abrams route and say it's a different continuity.

It won't happen. Apples and oranges.

With Star Trek they were starting at the beginning of the careers of the TOS characters, so the alternate timeline bit was thrown in so that ten movies and four tv series wouldn't be "wiped away."

With Star Wars the only thing at risk is a bunch of EU stories. Now I'm a fan of the original Star Wars trilogy, and I like a lot of the EU stuff, but let's be honest. They're not going to throw in an "alternate timeline" plot point to save the sanctity of a bunch of stories most of the general audience is unfamiliar with.

Not to mention that the "alternate timeline" card was already played so prominently in the new Trek film series. Using it in a new Star Wars trilogy will only result in much deserved ridicule.

I think Thrawn is "doable" from a film perspective without causing catastrophic damage to existing E.U. continuity.

I think it could work. Thrawn seems like a "must" for any new trilogy, and as a character he certainly has what it takes to be the central villain. It all comes down to how they adapt his story for film. If they try to keep it as close to the source material as possible they'll have to re-cast Luke, Leia, and Han (at the very least). It worked with Trek, so it's definitely a possibility.

The possibility does exist, however, to alter Thrawn so that his story takes place decades later, so as to account for Mark, Harrison, and Carey's age or their absence. If that happens then the EU's canonical integruity is pretty much shot.

The big issue is how you pare it down into a 2-3 hour per book timeframe. I could see some of the subplots going away or being shrunk-and toss out some (much?) of the navel-gazing and Jedi philosophy discussions.

I think cutting down on the philosophical aspects is a must. Part of why the prequels failed was that they spent to much time on things that, to the general audience, seem mundane. Your average movie goer had no desire to see exactly how the pre-Empire Senate worked or how the pre-Empire Jedi Order operated. There was a joke among the Transformers fanbase for a while that if they "prequelled" the Transformers film series it would be an hour and fifty minuets of Sentinel Prime discussing the ins and outs of robo-politics and ten minuets of actions. That's what a new Star Wars film needs to avoid. Fans will only care about the fact that Luke re-established the Jedi Order post-RotJ. No one cares about how it works or how it's philosophically different from the old Order.

The problem with deep 6ing E.U. canon is that there's a lot of it and while it may not make up the majority of the Giant Star Wars money tree that Disney is buying here, it is a large enough minority that they probably don't want to obsolete it in its entirety. And sees as Thrawn is the foundation of the entire E.U. novel series (remember all those characters, plot elements, and series components that are introduced in Thrawn?) it might not be a bad idea to start there.

I agree, Thrawn's story is the obvious place to start. I'm just saying that in the process of adapting his story to film they run the risk of messing up more of the EU then they intend to. Even a faithful adaptation will take some liberties with the source material.

Some casting ideas:

Luke - Chris Pine (yes, he's Kirk, but he has the look)

Leia - Emma Stone (she has the attitude for the role)

Han - I could see this going several ways. Some ideas off the top of my head are Jeremy Renner, Hugh Jackman (too old maybe?), or James Franco.

This is possible if they jump right into the New Jedi Order storylines. Why tell tales that have already been told? The Star Wars films have yet to do that and I don't see this being any different.

Episode VII will be the launching pad for a new generation of Star Wars fans. As a die-hard Star Wars fan of the movies and novels (I've read them all, yes, all of them), I'm almost 99.9% sold that Ep.VII will deal with the aftermaths of Crucible (July 2013) and the Sword of the Jedi trilogy (2014). Thus, zero canon is broken outside of the Legacy comics (though the Legacy comics canon seems to be going away regardless of Ep VII). The Vong War, Darth Sidious returning way too many times, Thrawn, Dark Nest, Darth Caedus, Abeloth, and etc that have occurred since Return of the Jedi will probably be explained by other means (i.e. animated shows/movies and etc).

Obviously people will be all over this upcoming movie and we will find out the truth as far as the overall plot, but I'll be absolutely shocked if this movie takes place prior to Fate of the Jedi. Just not happening.

1. Why should the audience care about Jaina and Ben?

2. Why do they act the way they do?

3. Jacen Solo has WAAAAY to big an impact on the answer to question 2 (and 1, really...) for it to be adequately addressed with the material in Fate of the Jedi alone. How do you propose to do it when he'd be a posthumous character in these movies?

That is going to be integral to the success or failure of a movie series set that far down the E.U. road, and you cannot possibly addess the second and third questions within a 5 minute flashback and a set of T.B.A. depending on money direct to Blu-Ray features and probably not the former either. Jacen is too major and too complex a character for that to work. Even setting aside NJO (and that's...inadvisable...in addressing his character) we have a character who, despite being a loved member of the Skywalker-Solo clan and Jaina's twin and Ben's cousin and mentor (here come spoilers folks) ended up killing Ben's mom, going full-on Sith, played a starring role in a galaxy-wide civil war, and ended up getting killed by Jaina. This is kind of important in establishing the setting and the characters and yet too large to handle in any flashback or special feature.

And that's just the BIG issue. We also have so many ancillary issues you'd need to just tell folks to spend a day or two browsing wookiepedia to begin to make headways, such as explaining to the audience that Chewie's not around anymore because they dropped a moon on him 30 books ago.

And yeah, Han, Luke, and Leia are going to be recast so this notion of making it fit the actors' age is pointless. Star Trek is surviving without Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley, Galactica survived without Greene, Hatch and Benedict, Star Wars will too.

Interesting:

Princess Leia and Han Solo also play heavily into the Thrawn Trilogy, popping out a pair of twins (of course) among other things. As for the name Thrawn, well, that refers to a grand admiral with imperial sympathies who takes over as the leader of the vanquished enemy faction.

So is that the basis for Episode 7 or not? I've heard directly from LucasFilm and other sources close to the picture, and they say: Definitely not.

"It's an original story," a LucasFilm source tells me.

In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.

http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source

Interesting:

Princess Leia and Han Solo also play heavily into the Thrawn Trilogy, popping out a pair of twins (of course) among other things. As for the name Thrawn, well, that refers to a grand admiral with imperial sympathies who takes over as the leader of the vanquished enemy faction.

So is that the basis for Episode 7 or not? I've heard directly from LucasFilm and other sources close to the picture, and they say: Definitely not.

In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.

http://www.eonline.c...ucasfilm-source

Even though there's a good chance the execution will be bad, I'm pretty excited about these new films.

Interesting:

http://www.eonline.c...ucasfilm-source

"And now, we will introduce creative consultant Stan Lee to explain to the die hard and casual fans this concept he likes to call 'a Multiverse'. Please stop saying 'John Carter'. We promise to actually market this movie and not hang it out to dry like that one."

Interesting:

http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source

With all due respect to the fanboys on this board, I'm surprised you've spent so much time speculating on using the novels as a source for E7.

No film studio exec in his right mind is going to say: "We can either do a crappy job adapting some niche material for a bunch of hardcore fans and still get raked over the coals by the fanboys and John Q, or we can make something new with broad appeal for a general audience and we'll probably piss off the fanboys but they'll drop a ton of money on it anyway." Admit it, how many of you hate E1-3 but own the Blu-Ray Extended Special Enhanced Collectors Edition with Queen Amidala statue anyway?

Obviously they'll go with erasing the fanboy universe, the more profitable and less risky option. It's the same calculus that lead to E1-3 being The Backstory To End All Backstories. Do they suck in the eyes of serious fans? Yep. Do they make a ton of cash? Oh yeah. Sorry fanboys.

I hope I don't sound harsh, but it's very naive to expect to see anything Peter David ever wrote on screen as a Star Wars sequel. It just won't appeal to the mass market as much as The Continuing Adventures of Characters You Love, Now With 100% Less Catching Up to Do!

Annnnd there goes the EU :D

Every Star Wars fan board just went to red alert..........

e240217-1.gif

I dunno, I'll believe they're going to be completely binning the E.U. only when we see the completely finished product, or when yes, they trot out Stan Lee to describe Star Wars' incorporation into the Marvel multiverse as Earth-314159 (movies) and Earth-271828 (EU) at the "We just killed Dark Horse comics" victory press conference.

Something about the timing here stinks if they're planning on going completely original and are aiming for a 2015 release. Either this has been in the works for some time and Disney and Lucasfilm were able to keep the massive pre-production legwork completely under wraps-which strikes me as unlikely in the Internet Era, or they're saying "we're not doing Thrawn" because they figure if they announce they're doing him now, even the general public will probably get around to reading the books in the next 3 years and conclude there's no need to see the movies.

And yes before folks get started, yes I agree the latter rationale is stupid in light of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Twilight, but it's the kind of stupidity that could be expected from an entertainment company.

They also made Pirates of the Caribbean 3 4. Checkmate.

FYP. The original PotC movies were a planned trilogy... while the 3rd installment was awful, it was at least relevant to the story. The 4th installment was nothing more than a money grab with a terrible plot.