Brass

Star Wars Movie Thread

1,214 posts in this topic

I dunno, I'll believe they're going to be completely binning the E.U. only when we see the completely finished product, or when yes, they trot out Stan Lee to describe Star Wars' incorporation into the Marvel multiverse as Earth-314159 (movies) and Earth-271828 (EU) at the "We just killed Dark Horse comics" victory press conference.

Hell, why stop there? Let's just go all Ready Player One-verse... The Skywalkers hitch a ride with the Firefly cast on Serenity to Mordor to stop Sauron who has teamed up with Thanos to bring war to the cosmos. Thankfully, future-Spock shows up just in time and sends both Sauren and Thanos to The Phantom Zone.

Well disney made the avengers so if its that good

They also made Pirates of the Caribbean 3 4. Checkmate.

FYP. The original PotC movies were a planned trilogy... while the 3rd installment was awful, it was at least relevant to the story. The 4th installment was nothing more than a money grab with a terrible plot.

The original PotC movie was a one off, then the second and third movies were written in such a way as to make it seem like there was a trilogy planned all along. Disney didn't know that the movie was going to be such a huge hit... the other two movies from that project (Country Bears and Haunted Mansion) flopped.

Well disney made the avengers so if its that good

They also made Pirates of the Caribbean 3 4. Checkmate.

FYP. The original PotC movies were a planned trilogy... while the 3rd installment was awful, it was at least relevant to the story. The 4th installment was nothing more than a money grab with a terrible plot.

The original PotC movie was a one off, then the second and third movies were written in such a way as to make it seem like there was a trilogy planned all along. Disney didn't know that the movie was going to be such a huge hit... the other two movies from that project (Country Bears and Haunted Mansion) flopped.

Woah! You don't say? I'm just glad you were here, lurking in the weeds, otherwise my post wouldn't have any sense. But you redeemed my failure AND made it historically accurate, and for that, I thank you.

Phantom sucked, Clones was OK and Revenge was right up there with the original trilogy (it has Return licked, at the very least). Coincidentally, Jar Jar Binks' screen time was heavy in Phantom, drastically reduced (albeit still critical story-wise*) in Clones, and mercifully reduced to a couple of brief non-speaking scenes in Revenge. So, I at least give Lucas some credit for learning from his biggest mistakes.

Anyway, if it were anyone other than Disney taking over the franchise I'd be doing cartwheels right now. Here's the thing: Lucas often tried to justify how he made Phantom by saying he made the film for young children, not the adult diehards who were mostly bashing it. Well, entertainment for young children is basically Disney's calling card - if Lucas didn't care how diehards like me reacted to his vision for the movies, Disney certainly won't either.

* In retrospect, I wonder if having Jar Jar unwittingly play such an instrumental role in Palpatine's power grab wasn't Lucas's way of tacitly acknowledging the fanboy hate for the character. In effect, by doing so Lucas symbolically exiled Jar Jar to the Dark Side.

The prequels could have been tolerable if Anakin wasn't so damn terrible in all of them... Aw who am I kidding, the writing was a joke in all of them.

"Don't make me KILL you!!!!"

EDIT

Bahaha

II and III would have been vastly improved if Anakin had been played by someone other than Hayden Christensen. The man is just not a good actor. He's wooden.

I think he did fine in Ep. III. People forget that Vader actually was a whiny little runt as a teen. Immaturity was a huge reason why he couldn't handle his feelings and went dark.

I think he did fine in Ep. III. People forget that Vader actually was a whiny little runt as a teen. Immaturity was a huge reason why he couldn't handle his feelings and went dark.

Better actors could have portrayed that without coming across as wooden.

For some reason, I'm really happy about this. Probably out of pure spite for the kids who wouldn't shut up about the series growing up.

Enjoy John Carter à Deux.

John Carter was awesome; the prequels sucked.

I take back what I said about Christensen. He's not a totally wooden actor. He was pretty good in the bits of Shattered Glass I saw.

For some reason, I'm really happy about this. Probably out of pure spite for the kids who wouldn't shut up about the series growing up.

You know, I've heard that. I haven't seen it, but I heard John Carter actually was a fun movie.

Disney really bungled the promotion for that. I don't know what they were going for by calling in "CARTER" in the ads -- that doesn't mean anything to anyone. "John Carter: Warlord of Mars"? Instantly better.

When trying to tell a good story, it is generally not a good idea have 5 non-continuous opening scenes in a row. It was like they said: "Hey, you know how in the beginning of Inception no one has any clue what is going on until the end of the movie? Let's try that, only with five 5-minute scenes in a row."

The rest of the movie was pretty decent, but still... really hard to start caring after it took them so long to get going. Oh, and Taylor Kitch (spelling?) is an awful actor, FNL included.

Actually, Episode I isn't all that bad after you read Darth Plagueis followed by Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter then go back rewatch the movie. All 3 novels (especially Darth Plagueis) aid in filling you in on what's going on in the background.

So does this mean they'll make Starwars Battlefront 3?

Because I sure hope so.

Actually, Episode I isn't all that bad after you read Darth Plagueis followed by Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter then go back rewatch the movie. All 3 novels (especially Darth Plagueis) aid in filling you in on what's going on in the background.

Sorry, doesn't help, in my opinion.

I'm a big nerd for "extended universe" stuff regardless of franchise. I'm always interested to know what's happening beyond the scope of the events that we see in any fictional universe. That being said, extended universe stuff shouldn't be required reading to enjoy a film. If the only way Episode I makes sense is to read three books then Episode I still sucks. If there's info in those stories that help tie the plot of the movie together, then that info should have been included in the movie.

Sorry, doesn't help, in my opinion.

I'm a big nerd for "extended universe" stuff regardless of franchise. I'm always interested to know what's happening beyond the scope of the events that we see in any fictional universe. That being said, extended universe stuff shouldn't be required reading to enjoy a film. If the only way Episode I makes sense is to read three books then Episode I still sucks. If there's info in those stories that help tie the plot of the movie together, then that info should have been included in the movie.

True. I'm just saying if you've actually read those 3 books, it does make Ep.1 more watchable. Ep.1 on it's own is incredibly flawed.

I saw the 3D Phantom Menace when it was in theaters last year (or earlier this year?). I really, really wanted to like it and gave it every benefit of the doubt (having not seen it since 2002). However, I found it dreadful. It was long, the 3D was bad, the CG was goofy, and the Anakin character was terrible. I slept through Episode II but really, really liked Episode III. It's too bad it took them so long to hit their stride with the prequels.

Disney has had mixed success with other peoples' franchises. Avengers was indeed a lot of fun, but Tron was, also, dreadful. It looked terrific, but there wasn't a story there.

It's not like Star Wars is high art -- there are way better Sci Fi films (if not franchises). But the people deserve great space opera, which Star Wars excels at. I'm cautiously optimistic for Episode 7.

I saw the 3D Phantom Menace when it was in theaters last year (or earlier this year?). I really, really wanted to like it and gave it every benefit of the doubt (having not seen it since 2002). However, I found it dreadful. It was long, the 3D was bad, the CG was goofy, and the Anakin character was terrible. I slept through Episode II but really, really liked Episode III. It's too bad it took them so long to hit their stride with the prequels.

Disney has had mixed success with other peoples' franchises. Avengers was indeed a lot of fun, but Tron was, also, dreadful. It looked terrific, but there wasn't a story there.

It's not like Star Wars is high art -- there are way better Sci Fi films (if not franchises). But the people deserve great space opera, which Star Wars excels at. I'm cautiously optimistic for Episode 7.

Agreed. Instead of what we got, I would have liked Attack of the Clones to be the 1st prequel, Revenge of the Sith to be the 2nd and something in between Sith and New Hope to be the 3rd.

Agreed. Instead of what we got, I would have liked Attack of the Clones to be the 1st prequel, Revenge of the Sith to be the 2nd and something in between Sith and New Hope to be the 3rd.

I have to completely agree with this! AotC should've been Ep.1 without a doubt. James Luceno's Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader should've been Ep.3. That whole novel felt like a movie.

TPM was better suited as a novel and follow-up to Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter (also written by James Luceno).

Back to Ep.7. If it is set a few years after RotJ, they could center it around the villian, Prince Xizor. Some point during the Fate of the Jedi storyline (I think between Outcast and Backlash), there was a reference that Xizor may have survived the destruction of the Falleen's Fist. Since Luke basically went off to "find himself and his purpose in life" so-to-speak after the events of Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, this leaves an opening to develop other characters during that era.