Brass

Star Wars Movie Thread

1,186 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, charger77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I really liked the movie, I did not like the odd opening of no opening crawl, then Rogue One appearing on the screen 5 minutes in. I also did not like the naming of the planets on screen, we were able to make it through 7 Star Wars movies with out the name of the planets appearing on screen.

Could not agree more. 

Spoiler

Did not care for the CG Tarkin and Leia.  Would have rather seen an actual person for both (and yes, I know Cushing is dead).

One thing that bugged me was the end.  Maybe it's a question someone can answer for me.  In ANH, when Leia is captured by Vader, she claims she was on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.  At the end of Rogue One, Vader saw the attack on the base, knew the Rebel ships had hyped in, and saw Leia's ship flee the fleet.  If the end of Rogue One is to be believed, did Leia know Vader was there?  If she did, how can she claim the Alderaan mission?  She's not that dumb. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy! said:

Could not agree more. 

Hide contents

Did not care for the CG Tarkin and Leia.  Would have rather seen an actual person for both (and yes, I know Cushing is dead).

One thing that bugged me was the end.  Maybe it's a question someone can answer for me.  In ANH, when Leia is captured by Vader, she claims she was on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan.  At the end of Rogue One, Vader saw the attack on the base, knew the Rebel ships had hyped in, and saw Leia's ship flee the fleet.  If the end of Rogue One is to be believed, did Leia know Vader was there?  If she did, how can she claim the Alderaan mission?  She's not that dumb. 

Spoiler

I think here trying to claim that probably results from her using that tactic previously in Rebels. Unfortunately for her, Vader isn't some dumb lackey and they both know that she's blowing smoke since by now it's pretty much no longer a secret Alderaan has been supplying the Rebellion with arms. Once he bounced the guy off the roof I was pretty stoked to see a Vader that was just willing to rip everything apart, much like he was at the Jedi Temple before he got cooked on Mustafar.

On 12/16/2016 at 1:54 AM, Cosmic said:

I liked it.  Thoughts below:

Hide contents

- Wow.  Making "Rogue Two" would be like making Hamlet 2.  I'm glad, though, because it made sense.  They killed the droid.  They killed the pretty female lead.  They killed the blind guy.  They killed the good guys.  They killed the bad guys.  I didn't really think Disney/Lucasfilm would have the guts to do it.

- Glad we got to see Vader tear it up.  I was worried for a little while that he would just be menacing and not actually do anything.

- CGI Leia was good.  CGI Tarkin was a little too fake for me.

- I thought all the characters were good; there wasn't anyone I disliked.

Nitpick: It bugged me when the PA announcer guy on Yavin 4 said "May the Force be with you." over the loudspeaker.  This could be my mistake, but it felt like believing in the Force was relatively rare in ANH.  I think Leia said it to the pilots on Hoth in ESB, but it still never felt to me like belief in the Force was very common.  They introduced the idea in Force Awakens that other groups besides the Jedi believed in the Force... OK, sounds like it could be interesting.  Now with Rogue One, it feels like they're trying to retcon it so that the Rebellion and the Force are more intertwined than they were before.  It feels like everybody in Rogue One believes in the Force.

Spoiler

Hamlet2poster.jpg

1 person likes this

Another thing. The lenses in Vader's helmet are tinted red in this movie. Which is a nice call-back to the fact that the original Vader costume had red-tinted lenses in ANH. They weren't made black until ESB.

3 people like this

B+

+

Spoiler

- Stronger & tighter knit than TFA, though I only found real affinity for the blind guy & the Imperial droid.  

- I didn't mind the opening shot/no crawl giving uniqueness for one-off installments to come.  Though as mentioned, the labelling of planets seemed a bit meek.

- Several great & memorable shots on par or greater than anything to date in the saga.  Rebel fleet emerging from hyperspace was amazing, as was every single air battle.  Final space battle seemed to nearly surpass Battle of Endor's which might've taken away a bit of ROTJ's lustre.

- Darth Vader's cameo-not cameo was handled quite well.  Post-PT burns & new body/Pre-OT ageing, they balanced it well - healing & a badass fight sequence.  

- While no one really stood out for me, there were no weak characters either - except the jackass General whom we're supposed to think low of.  Probably the finest SW ensemble since ESB.  

- Link up with Star Wars (ANH) blew my mind, I was not expecting them to be so tightly connected like that, scenes apart.  

- Confirmation the DS's weapon is powered by the same source as a lightsaber's. 

-

Spoiler

- Elephant in the room being we already know the DS plans will be stolen, giving a sense of safety parachute no matter how they portray things.  

- No real affinity for the characters, which isn't truly devastating since we'll not revisit them again.

- CG faces were of zero suprise to me, didn't affect me one way or the other.  

1.SW

2.ESB

3.RO

4.ROTS

5.TFA

6.ROTJ

7.AOTC

8.TPM

1 person likes this

The only reason I saw Rogue One was that work treated us to a showing that included food during and beer afterward.  I've only seen the original trilogy, and wasn't really interested in seeing this one.

That said?  It was entertaining enough.

Spoiler
  • Much of the acting felt stiff, especially the two main characters.  
  • It's about as hokey as the original trilogy, though I don't remember the original having that many awful puns and references.
  • Speaking of references, could they have fit in any more fanboy service?  I thought I was going to need an umbrella.  The C3PO/R2D2 cameo was just completely unnecessary; oh, and the guys from ANH on Jedah they bump into? They better have been directly on their way to the spaceport, or else the scene on Tatooine makes zero sense.
  • With all of the goofy puns and references, the first fifteen minutes felt like this was a spoof of the series.
  • I appreciated the planet labels in the establishing shots.
  • The decimation of the fleet at the end actually makes the lack of Force references in ANH make a lot of sense.  The Rebellion certainly must have lost a lot of faith after that and the capture of Leia, given that the big victory of getting the plans was lost.

The only thing I wish they did differently was cast unknowns for the more major roles. I was watching the movie and thinking "...and you were Stephen Hawking's ex-wife...and you dated Harvey Milk...and you had the best car at Ridgemont High...and you OH MY GOD THEY RESURRECTED THE CORPSE OF PETER CUSHING!"

2 hours ago, Brass said:

The only thing I wish they did differently was cast unknowns for the more major roles. 

There's a Hayden Christensen joke in there somewhere.

2 people like this

I'll concede that I'm merely a casual fan of SW and that my opinion holds no weight, but Rogue One made me feel something that the other movies didn't. It definitely tops my list. 

2 people like this

20 hours ago, Brass said:

The only thing I wish they did differently was cast unknowns for the more major roles. I was watching the movie and thinking "...and you were Stephen Hawking's ex-wife...and you dated Harvey Milk...and you had the best car at Ridgemont High...and you OH MY GOD THEY RESURRECTED THE CORPSE OF PETER CUSHING!"

With the exception of Alan Tudyk, most of these were not well known to me. Only Forrest Whitaker and Mads Mikelson fit that category. I think the more important thing is to bring in actors who truly love Star Wars, like Simon Pegg. 

Spoiler

Saw the movie today and enjoyed it quite a bit. Like others have said, there were lots of good characters but I kept expecting Cassian to go looking for a 6-fingered man or something. The link-ins with A New Hope were excellent. Overall, I'd give it an A-, took too long to get going, in my opinion

I had no idea who most of the actors were. I saw Tudyk's name in the credits and had to look up whom he played. 

Yeah I have a very good eye for actors and their even tiny roles in shows and movies and I had no clue who most of them were. My knowledge was essentially Jimmy Smits, Mads Mikkelson and Alan Tudyk, and I didn't even know Tudyk voiced K-2SO until I saw the credits.

On 12/16/2016 at 9:50 AM, Brass said:
  Hide contents

You know what Rogue One did a great job in doing? Making those stolen plans mean so much. It really improves A New Hope in the sense that you got to see the sacrifices that the characters went through, rather than some rebel leading talking about the sacrifices.

Absolutely.  I immediate thought back to the scene where the senator said something like "a lot of people died to bring us these plans".  This movie absolutely enhanced ANH.

On 12/18/2016 at 6:25 PM, Ice_Cap said:

So it's been a day and I figure I'll give my thoughts on the movie...

Hide contents

As I alluded to in my rankings, I loved it. I even ranked it higher than The Force Awakens. Which isn't a slight on TFA at all. I still love that movie, and everything it did. Rogue One was just that good.

I admit that a lot of that may be nostalgia. My first experiences with Star Wars were watching my dad's VHS copies of the original trilogy, so seeing the Death Star, classic Stormtroopers, the Rebel Alliance, Vader, Tarkin, and Leia back all hit me in a powerful way. I think I choked up just a bit seeing ANH-era Leia at the end.

I appreciated that it was willing to do some things that Star Wars movies just don't do either. There's no opening crawl, and they're not shy about title cards for all of the planets they visit. I'd cry bloody murder if that stuff happened in an "episodic" movie, but I like that Disney seems willing to try different stuff with these anthology films. It sets them apart.

That being said...I really did like the film on its own merits. It started off a bit choppy, but it got going fairly quickly. They did a great job exploring the dynamics of both the Rebel Alliance and the Imperial command structure, with various groups on both sides that have their own agendas and are vying for influence. I also loved the throw-away lines about how the Imperial military is still a bit skittish about their more overtly militaristic policies getting back to the Senate. Even after the Emperor has seized power. Usually I'd say I want to see more of that dynamic, but after the prequels? Yeah, better to leave the political stuff about Star Wars in the background :P

Speaking of the background...I was happy to see Jimmy Smits back as Bail Organa. Sure, the prequels were terrible, but they're still part of the story. Any attempt to bring them in line with good Star Wars stories is welcome.

The ending...wow. Everyone dying makes sense. That's my biggest problem with stories that attempt to fill the gap between RotS and ANH. Unless you're using established characters? You end up creating new characters who are super important, but who just vanish. This movie solves this problem perfectly. They died, but their sacrifice meant something. And the struggle of the Rebel Alliance seems more powerful as a result.

Finally...Vader. The last time we saw him on the big screen was not...not great. So to see Vader as this intimidating, deadly, powerful force of nature was awesome to see. Vader seems powerful, evil, and dangerous again. I stand by the assessment that original trilogy is the greatest villain in cinema, and that the prequels ruined him. Here, we see exactly why the Rebel Alliance :censored: themselves at the thought of the guy in the original movies. That shot of absolute terror on the rebel soldier's face just after Vader ignites his lightsabre...that's the stuff. 

My only nitpick is to echo what's already been said. The Rebel Alliance seemed a bit to into the Force. You would think that, by the way Obi Wan talks to Luke, the Force was something people didn't believe in anymore. In fact Tarkin refers to Vader as the last of his kind in ANH, and that one dumb bastard even belittles Vader for his faith in that "ancient religion." It seemed like Luke was the first person to be trained in the ways of the Force in a very long time, and now everyone in the Rebel Alliance seems to be a believer. Not nearly enough to take away from the movie for me, but yeah. I could have done without that.

I agree with ever word of this, though I'll add a few nitpicks (and they really are nitpicks - at the end of the day, I loved it and it far exceeded my expectations:)

1.  The new robot, while certainly funny in his own way (actually reminded me of Chriton from Buck Rogers if anyone was into that) was a little corny too.  I'd rather have him in it than not, but his defiance of orders at times seemed to be a little too human vs machine.

2.  my gods do the storm troopers SUCK.  They all suck.  They're the easiest bunch of idiots in the galaxy to defeat!  They're terrible.  Like at no point were you ever concerned that a storm trooper might injure any of the main characters.  They're just outsmarted and out manhandled way too easily.  The suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

3.  How does everyone know how everything works?  Seriously - she just knows how to get the disk (that looks just like a mechanical hard drive) out, and knows exactly how to set the antenna and transmit it, using foreign equipment and technology she's never seen before?  Come on.

Now some praise - I kinda figured they were all going to die, and I knew that Jin and Cassian were going to grow close, but when it actually happened, I couldn't help but tear up a little bit.  They made it more dramatic than I thought, and I applaud them for it.  They took something that was very predictable and delivered it with unpredictable emotion.  That's not easy.

ESB

ANH

RO

TFA (could be swapped with RO - they're very close)

ROTJ

ROTS

TPM

AOTC

EDIT:  Not spoiler tagging anything.  I stayed away from this thread until I saw it, and if any of this spoils anything for you, it's your own fault.  What the hell did you expect to see here?

4 people like this

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  The new robot, while certainly funny in his own way (actually reminded me of Chriton from Buck Rogers if anyone was into that) was a little corny too.  I'd rather have him in it than not, but his defiance of orders at times seemed to be a little too human vs machine.

I did notice that.  I was thinking, "The rebellion reprogrammed him to be like this?"  Ultimately, the character was cool and I didn't mind.  Maybe Cassian had a lot of lonely nights and needed a sarcastic buddy-bot.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Absolutely.  I immediate thought back to the scene where the senator said something like "a lot of people died to bring us these plans".  This movie absolutely enhanced ANH.

That's actually in reference to Return of the Jedi where Mon Mothma is addressing the 2nd Death Star.  "Many Bothans died to bring us this information" was in reference to Bothan rebel spies who learned the location and unfinished weakness of the new Death Star and most importantly that Palpatine himself will be aboard.  

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I did notice that.  I was thinking, "The rebellion reprogrammed him to be like this?"  Ultimately, the character was cool and I didn't mind.  Maybe Cassian had a lot of lonely nights and needed a sarcastic buddy-bot.

C3P0 is a worrywart and a p***y. I've always assumed there's some kind of AI personality program that they can turn on and off and of course they keep it on because who would want a boring robot when you can have a sassy one? 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

55 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

C3P0 is a worrywart and a p***y. I've always assumed there's some kind of AI personality program that they can turn on and off and of course they keep it on because who would want a boring robot when you can have a sassy one? 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Heuristic_processor

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I totally agree, but was shot down by friends I saw the film with. He seemed too human, and while he was funny he seemed a departure from what droids are in the Star Wars Universe. Not a dealbreaker or a huge minus on the film. Just one little nit to pick.