Brass

Star Wars Movie Thread

SFGiants58    2,074

So, I've seen the latest episode of Rebels, and...

Spoiler

...I'm happy that they went the route they did. Obi-Wan only really showed up at the end, helped to further Ezra's character arc (revealing the issues regarding the Holocrons and shifting Ezra's focus back towards Lothal), and had a satisfying final encounter with Maul. The callbacks to both Obi-Wan and Maul's histories through the movies and Clone Wars series were well-played, and did not feel like obnoxious fan service. This was, in the words of Plinkett, icing with a solid cake backing.

I also liked that the duel was a short, jidaigeki-inspired piece, and not a flips-and-glow sticks spectacle like "Old Wounds" (which also produced a continuity error, what with young Luke watching a lightsaber duel). The post-duel scene with Maul and Obi-Wan felt satisfying, bringing an end to a relationship that expanded each character's depth beyond what the prequels did.

The last scene with Obi-Wan watching over the Lars' homestead was probably the best way the episode could have ended, limiting the presence of the Skywalkers (which is good for any EU material) while relaying Obi-Wan's distanced protection of Luke.

I'm looking forward to the finale.

Ice_Cap    7,793

Rebels is good stuff. I just maintain the concept is self-defeating and destined to end in tears.

MJWalker45    1,068

At least we know that some will survive until Rogue One. I have a feeling a couple of peoplemay not make it but I'm glad it'll be an hour next week. 

On 3/19/2017 at 0:49 AM, SFGiants58 said:

So, I've seen the latest episode of Rebels, and...

Reveal hidden contents

...I'm happy that they went the route they did. Obi-Wan only really showed up at the end, helped to further Ezra's character arc (revealing the issues regarding the Holocrons and shifting Ezra's focus back towards Lothal), and had a satisfying final encounter with Maul. The callbacks to both Obi-Wan and Maul's histories through the movies and Clone Wars series were well-played, and did not feel like obnoxious fan service. This was, in the words of Plinkett, icing with a solid cake backing.

I also liked that the duel was a short, jidaigeki-inspired piece, and not a flips-and-glow sticks spectacle like "Old Wounds" (which also produced a continuity error, what with young Luke watching a lightsaber duel). The post-duel scene with Maul and Obi-Wan felt satisfying, bringing an end to a relationship that expanded each character's depth beyond what the prequels did.

The last scene with Obi-Wan watching over the Lars' homestead was probably the best way the episode could have ended, limiting the presence of the Skywalkers (which is good for any EU material) while relaying Obi-Wan's distanced protection of Luke.

I'm looking forward to the finale.

I felt it was a bit underwhelming myself, especially considering how much of a bad-ass Maul has been in the final couple seasons of The Clone Wars and the past season of Rebels.

Cosmic    2,556

Saw Rogue One at the drive-in tonight.  I still thought the Leia CGI was great.

CS85    5,399

For those who prefer youtube.

dont care    1,444

So what have we learned for the trailer? The Jedi must end? The way it's cut off makes me hope it means the Jedi must end the first order or something but it's looking really dark and like atleast Luke will die and maybe the light side of the force will be continued by a new organization led by rey

monkeypower    656

My thought is that after Kylo and the Knights killed Luke's new Jedi leading to Luke wandering around, Luke's come to realize the Jedi were wrong about only being light and the Force isn't just light for the Jedi and dark for the Sith.

Luke and Rey are probably going to start a grey order.

2001mark    1,188

Its direction seems to marry quite well with TFA's... a technical worry I had beforehand.

I would think Luke will die here or at least go to some dangerous place before dying in the film to follow.

CS85    5,399
5 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

i believe General Leia get killed too (dont ask my why)*

*too soon.  

LUKE:  Leia, what do you think we should do about the Jedi?
LEIA:  Well Luke, I feel 

I HAVE TO GO

MY PLANET NEEDS ME

s4kOeYK.gif

goalieboy82    408
1 minute ago, CS85 said:

LUKE:  Leia, what do you think we should do about the Jedi?
LEIA:  Well Luke, I feel 

I HAVE TO GO

MY PLANET NEEDS ME

s4kOeYK.gif

Bart: General Leia came from another planet?

monkeypower    656
10 hours ago, monkeypower said:

My thought is that after Kylo and the Knights killed Luke's new Jedi leading to Luke wandering around, Luke's come to realize the Jedi were wrong about only being light and the Force isn't just light for the Jedi and dark for the Sith.

Luke and Rey are probably going to start a grey order.

Okay, on second thought I'm not correct about the grey thing, but I do think I'm somewhat correct about Luke wanting to move on from the Jedi Order and their philosophy with him and Rey.

(For the unaware, he's part of the Lucasfilm Story Group, i.e. the people in charge of the canon, and I'm not entirely sure of his position but he's somewhat of a social media figure for them. His word is pretty much Star Wars gospel.)

But the quote from the trailer could mean any sort of thing and could very well be cut off.

8BW14    292
9 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Okay, on second thought I'm not correct about the grey thing, but I do think I'm somewhat correct about Luke wanting to move on from the Jedi Order and their philosophy with him and Rey.

(For the unaware, he's part of the Lucasfilm Story Group, i.e. the people in charge of the canon, and I'm not entirely sure of his position but he's somewhat of a social media figure for them. His word is pretty much Star Wars gospel.)

But the quote from the trailer could mean any sort of thing and could very well be cut off.

I'm not so sure it was like actually saying that. It sounds vaguely like Benicio del Toro to me. 

My guess is they cleverly edited the shot of Luke standing there with the voice over from somebody else.