2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

http://www.milb.com/promotions/page.jsp?ymd=20120615&content_id=33343334&vkey=promo_t531&fext=.jsp&sid=t531

In anticipation of PNC Field's rebuilding/renovations, the team is holding a name-the-team contest starting today and ending July 30.

I submitted the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Papermakers (for similar reasons the Albuquerque Isotopes hold their name)

bYhYmxh.png

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons

Reasons: OBVIOUS

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's pronounced almost like "Barry", not "Bear"

I think a connection to the mining history of the Wyoming Valley is an absolute.

Coal Miners, Coal Crackers, Black Rox/Sox, Coal Barons, Colliers, Diggers, etc...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I think a connection to the mining history of the Wyoming Valley is an absolute.

Coal Miners, Coal Crackers, Black Rox/Sox, Coal Barons, Colliers, Diggers, etc...

Or the military history.

Pennamites sounds amazing.

On second thought, switching from Yankees to Pennamites is NOT a good idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennamite-Yankee_War

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I submitted the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Papermakers (for similar reasons the Albuquerque Isotopes hold their name)

I thought they were named the isotopes because they kept the name from when they were in Springfield?

An episode of "The Simpsons" had the team leaving Springfield and moving to Albuquerque.

In real life, the team paid royalties to Fox and were allowed to use the name.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I thought they were named the isotopes because they kept the name from when they were in Springfield?

An episode of "The Simpsons" had the team leaving Springfield and moving to Albuquerque.

In real life, the team paid royalties to Fox and were allowed to use the name.

It was meant to be a joke, I figured they were never in Springfield

Or the military history.

Pennamites sounds amazing.

On second thought, switching from Yankees to Pennamites is NOT a good idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennamite-Yankee_War

as a Pennsylvanian, I'd be happy to go from Yankees to Pennamites and claim the team that's rightfully ours! After all, we won that war 2-1. No really, that was the death toll.

...too soon? lol

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Nice to see that they're changing the name. I'm a Yankees fan, but in general, I dislike it when a minor league team changes their name to match their new parent club. I feel like it takes away some uniqueness. I think part of the fun of the minor leagues are the unique and sometimes downright weird names.

Nice to see that they're changing the name. I'm a Yankees fan, but in general, I dislike it when a minor league team changes their name to match their new parent club. I feel like it takes away some uniqueness. I think part of the fun of the minor leagues are the unique and sometimes downright weird names.

Agreed, and I hope this leads to the Tampa and Staten Island clubs taking on distinct identities.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons

Reasons: OBVIOUS

This.

Unfortunately, the team has said that no prior names will be considered...they want to start NEW and FRESH.

bYhYmxh.png

Archived