2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per the client's direction, the new bird is not an aircraft, per se, but rather an "iron bird," as it were, with said bird having the ability to lift off upward, not just forward like a stereotypical jet, so the flames were rendered emanating from beneath the wings to depict this more vertical movement capability. I suppose one way to look at it is that the new bird is a hybrid of bird and machine.

Not unlike Hawk's ship from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

146506.jpgHAWK-BUCK-ROGERS.jpghawk4.jpg

Perfect time for some Erin Gray.

2383371519_597390c08a.jpg2384203424_e88a5d8d9a.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not unlike Hawk's ship from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

146506.jpgHAWK-BUCK-ROGERS.jpghawk4.jpg

Perfect time for some Erin Gray.

2383371519_597390c08a.jpg2384203424_e88a5d8d9a.jpg

Can I nominate this for Post of the Year? Seriously, relevantly connecting a new logo unveiling to Buck Rogers AND two pictures of Erin Gray? That's pretty hard to beat....

Cards.png

As I was reading my Baltimore Sun this morning (yes, I read an actual newspaper), I stumbled onto the following article:

Any resemblance would be hard for all but the most die-hard Orioles fans to notice. But it's there.

The new Aberdeen IronBirds logo, unveiled Monday, was inspired by a furious, bat-wielding Orioles bird mascot introduced after the 1967 season. Billy Ripken, who turned 3 years old that year, remembered it well when he began thinking about refreshing the IronBirds logo.

"He was mean-looking," Ripken said. "He had a bat in his hand and a had a little lean forward."

That bird's menacing look combined with inspiration from the recent Iron Man movies — since Ripken and his brother Cal, baseball's ironman, run the team together — form a slick new character that the duo hopes will continue to draw young baseball fans to games.

"You do want to appeal to the younger fans," Cal Ripken said.

The new bird's piercing eyes stare ahead, while his metal wings spread wide and his talons prepare for landing. The serious look deviates from recent logos unveiled by two Pennsylvania baseball teams, the Wilkes-Barre RailRiders and the Reading Fightin Phils.

"There's really been a trend toward the minor league-ish, and I'm thankful that they went the opposite direction here," said Chris Creamer, who has run a website dedicated to sports logos since 1997. "The cartoons were getting old."

Eight minor league baseball teams have introduced new logos this offseason, Creamer said, which is in line with recent years. Teams are eager to create new buzz — and merchandise — by tweaking designs, he said.

"I haven't really seen any fan fatigue when it comes to the new logos and having to buy new gear," he said. "With the minor leagues, it's really about the experience and a lot goes into that."

Aberdeen's first logo, a smiling fighter jet, lasted 11 seasons. But as the Ripkens continue learning the business side of baseball, they felt a new direction was needed. Bill Ripken took the lead on the project, reviewing dozens of options before making a final selection.

Shirts and hats showing the new logo went on sale at the IronBirds website Monday.

http://www.baltimore...0,3955265.story

As for the logo, I agree with our Fearless Leader -- this a nice departure from the cartoony minor league logos. That said, I don't really see much resemblance to the Psycho Bird logo.

73464158.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Don't like it. The old logo was a nice MiLB logo, a cartoon jet streaking through the sky in front of a swooping "A," it wasn't awesome, but it was good.

I get that they wanted to go the bird route because of the team's association with Baltimore, but ugh. The wings are drooping (or "anhedral" for you aerospace types), which is not very dynamic or intimidating, there's fire inexplicably coming from the wing tips (what???), the bird's old-school Cylon face is static and doesn't really convey any emotion except some kind of robotic stoicism, and there's nothing "baseball" about it. I think the typeface for the "IRONBIRDS" word mark is ok, but not in an arch. Something more dynamic, I think, is needed (to be fair, the old wordmark had the same problem).

Downgrade, Bill and Cal. I'm sorry guys, you're my boyhood heroes, but this is a lateral move at best, an update to the old logo would be better.

Grunge-Logos.png

How they should advertise baseball games:

Sunday! Sunday!! Sunday!!!

Godzilla versus MechaIronbird for the "King of All Monsters" title only at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, Maryland!!!

One shoots a blast of radiation from his mouth, while the other shoots fire from its beak.

See these two mythical creatures battle it out in-between the baseball paths!

Get your tickets for Godzilla versus MechaIronbird!!

This Sunday only!!

Aberdeen will never be the same!!!

typical cheesy minor league concept, but at least its executed well. not quite sure whats going on with the blue parts on bottom though

I'm seeing an 'A' in that area under the wordmark if you kinda just look at the legs/feet and the blue coloring. There's sorta an 'A' in there if you reach for it. idk if that was the idea there, but the blue area seems so random that I feel like its what they were going for.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Needs a 8

?

2i6njom.jpg

Holy crap, do I feel stupid. Upon first glance,I thought,"Great, they too went for the trend of a mean-looking mascot, and ditched a cool tribute to their owner."

They did ditch the 8, that's a concept. Even if that were in there, I still wouldn't like it as a whole, though it's a cool idea.

Grunge-Logos.png

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121127&content_id=40431348&vkey=news_t461&fext=.jsp&sid=t461

New Eugene Emeralds identity. Ugh. Just rebranded two years ago (tastefully, fitting for Eugene, parent club). This is just bad. Tough to understand exactly who they spoke with in the community to come to bigfoot as the centerpiece. Looks shoehorned in as a NW stereotype. The weird little baby arm doesnt help, either. I know MiLB is supposed to be fun, but geesh. Tough season for brandiose.

http://www.milb.com/...t=.jsp&sid=t461

New Eugene Emeralds identity. Ugh. Just rebranded two years ago (tastefully, fitting for Eugene, parent club). This is just bad. Tough to understand exactly who they spoke with in the community to come to bigfoot as the centerpiece. Looks shoehorned in as a NW stereotype. The weird little baby arm doesnt help, either. I know MiLB is supposed to be fun, but geesh. Tough season for brandiose.

The continuing trend of :censored:ty rebrands continues. What a terrible off season for the minor leagues.

Archived