MIAMI! - Every Team is About the City

rmackman

Okay, before I head out (because I said I was going to before), and while I watch the end of the Heat game on TV, I wanted to get something off of my chest. Yes I grew up as a Marlins and Heat fan. However, I feel like both teams are now over-emphasizing the city. It's like they don't care about their team nickname. I didn't like it when the Texas Rangers made all of their jerseys say TEXAS, and I don't like Miami doing it either. I get it, both places have a ton of pride for their hometowns, but I'm just not a fan.

Okay, I'm getting off of my soapbox now.

p8365136dt.jpgp13196100dt.jpgpMLB2-11652276dt.jpgpMLB2-11660670dt.jpgpMLB2-11660222dt.jpg

Even the field the Dolphins play on! (Although I get they need to be generic because the Hurricanes play on it as well.)

fans-sun-life-stadium.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I do hope that they put their Marlins word mark on the homes soon, though.

Once they move the marlin back to the M. Why they randomly moved it to the "I" for that wordmark is beyond me.

Has anyone ever explained why they did that? I was wondering what the impetus of that decision was. Is there any significance to the 'I"? It just seems completely wrong to me. BTW, after a full season of viewing the team in their new look I can honestly say that it is a really good choice that they made the change. I'm totally on board now.

The Florida Panthers don't even use Miami, so um, no... hypothesis busted.

Panthers play in Broward now, which is about 60 miles from where they used to play. They are truly florida now.

Well, that's good to know... haha. :D

Panthers play in Broward now, which is about 60 miles from where they used to play. They are truly florida now.

More like 35 lol.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

More like 35 lol.

lol ya they play closer to their (Miami) city than Phoenix.

More like 35 lol.

Edit: your right. 34.7

I know from where I am to where they are now it's about 50 for sure.

More like 35 lol.

lol ya they play closer to their (Miami) city than Phoenix.

But the FLORIDA Panthers don't claim to be Miami.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

But the FLORIDA Panthers don't claim to be Miami.

Their website had pictures of the Miami skyline all over it for a while, for whatever little that's worth.

I don't like hearing about how a team in one subdepartment or another of the South Florida corridor "grows the game." If they wanted to grow the game, they'd still be in downtown Miami, but they ran away from all the dark people and Spanish and retreated to the loving embrace of Broward County's displaced New Yorkers and vacationing Montrealers. You've grown nothing.

In a related story, lol at this thread. I don't think your thesis is as well-supported as perhaps it should be!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think a lot of it has to do with the way people in Metro-Dade (Miami) see everything north of Broward. There is definitely an "us against the world" attitude that exists because the world changes dramatically at the Dade-Broward line and those up north are not as welcoming of the Miami culture. With all the racial, ethnic and socio-economic division down here 'Miami' brings us together in the end. We can make fun of our dysfunctional community, the accents, and the cultures but dont you dare make a comment! The national coverage of the Heat has done a great job bringing this to the surface. The 80s Hurricanes also did this and was covered well in 'The U' documentary. I'm not saying this is unique to Miami, but it could be a bigger factor than in other cities.

Appealing to fans in Latin America is probably a driving factor. People down there know what MIAMI is, but they do not necessarily know what a marrrleen or a heat is. As the financial and entertainment capital of Latin America MIAMI carries a lot of weight.

All that and the MIAMI name has a lot of glitz and glamor attached to it that Marlins or Heat can't.

1997 | 2003

Ironically all the Miami sporting events I have gone to, the Panthers game was the loudest. The Panthers Run in 96 was much louder than the Heats Championship run this year.

I know Miami is a fickle sports market, and outside of the Dolphins they have only gotten the rest of their major teams with in the last 20 years. I guess a lot of their major hardcore fans lay their loyalties to the teams that they or their fathers cheered for before all those teams came to Florida. Lots of Knicks, and Yankee fans in south beach.

I would think there is more "pride" from Canada teams with the red maple leaf added (Jays, Raptors, Leafs), Maryland (Terrapins, Ravens) with the state flag, and Texas (Rangers, Astros, Stars, etc) with the state flag/state logo outline on uniforms.

KISSwall09.jpg

With all the racial, ethnic and socio-economic division down here 'Miami' brings us together in the end. We can make fun of our dysfunctional community, the accents, and the cultures but dont you dare make a comment!

Tropical Winnipeg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

i'd like to see those teams represent their nicknames a bit more too. i think the difference between NCAA and pro sports is college teams are representing a university and the team name hardly matters. pro teams' nicknames are a bit more important and we use those to differentiate one from the next.

ask someone what their favorite college football team is and you'll likely get an answer like "Miami U". ask someone what their favorite NFL team is and their answer is likely "the Dolphins"

"Heat" is a terrible name anyways. As is "Magic", "Thunder", "Jazz", "Wild", "Lightning", "Avalanche", and just about everything in the WNBA or MLS.

quit trollin'

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived