Miami Dolphins - Super Bowl VII uniform quirk

larrypep

For some reason, in Super Bowl VII, several Dolphins players wore jerseys with no aqua/orange piping on the sleeves:

70d36011f81dc97b1e7553df603dac85.jpgscott.jpg

One of the great quirks that used to exist before uniforms became staunchly "uniform". I imagine some new jerseys were needed quickly and all they had were white blanks so they cobbled together what they could for the game. Mitchell and Ness used to sell the Bob Griese Super Bowl VII jersey without the piping, sort of wished I picked one up when they were available.

For some reason, in Super Bowl VII, several Dolphins players wore jerseys with no aqua/orange piping on the sleeves:

One of the great quirks that used to exist before uniforms became staunchly "uniform". I imagine some new jerseys were needed quickly and all they had were white blanks so they cobbled together what they could for the game. Mitchell and Ness used to sell the Bob Griese Super Bowl VII jersey without the piping, sort of wished I picked one up when they were available.

Nope; the Dolphins began wearing stripeless mesh jerseys circa 1970. The striped jerseys were likely durene fabric so some players preferred to use the mesh jerseys. You'll see this quite a bit in the 1968-1972 era from several teams but typically all most all the players would wear the plain mesh jerseys in say September/October and the durene striped jerseys in say November/December. The Dolphins were a bit odd with this as the stipeless jerseys were all they wore in 1971 (including their loss in Super Bowl VI to the Cowboys). In 1972 some players began mixing in the striped jerseys again. By 1973 they changed to mesh jerseys with stripes.

Nope; the Dolphins began wearing stripeless mesh jerseys circa 1970. The striped jerseys were likely durene fabric so some players preferred to use the mesh jerseys. You'll see this quite a bit in the 1968-1972 era from several teams but typically all most all the players would wear the plain mesh jerseys in say September/October and the durene striped jerseys in say November/December. The Dolphins were a bit odd with this as the stipeless jerseys were all they wore in 1971 (including their loss in Super Bowl VI to the Cowboys). In 1972 some players began mixing in the striped jerseys again. By 1973 they changed to mesh jerseys with stripes.

Wow, that's some great info! I did not realize they were stripeless in 1971. I also didn't realize the Dolphins kept essentially two sets of uniforms on hand either. The great quirkiness that used to exist back then.

f357ab87148839bc5354d4c8fd2bbb3f.jpg

Take into account as well SB VII was played in LA during the early afternoon and it was quite warm that day. I believe the temps were low to mid 80's, at least that is what they say on the broadcast last time I watched it. If the Durene/Mesh Jersey difference was similar to cool base and regular polyester knit for baseball I totally see why players wore the mesh.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Another inconsistency of the day was with the logo on the helmets. Some helmets had the Dolphin jumping thru the ring of the Sun while other helmets had the Dolphin centered on the Sun.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

This was discussed in a thread a long time ago. As a previous poster noted, it had to do with mesh jerseys vs. durene. Here are the Bears going stripeless in a 1971 game (with bonus of Steelers in white over white):

2165246.jpg2164869.jpg

And stripeless Vikings too:

3275471.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Here's another uniform oddity. In those days the Bengals had a short sleeve jersey and a long sleeve jersey for cold weather games. The short sleeve jersey had the stripes separated, while the long sleeve jersey had the stripes touching.

Isaac Curtis

isaaccurtis_display_image.jpg?1278951015Curtis_Isaac_Team_Action.jpg

this is why finkle missed the field goal...

That was Super Bowl XVII, dingus. Come on.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Another inconsistency of the day was with the logo on the helmets. Some helmets had the Dolphin jumping thru the ring of the Sun while other helmets had the Dolphin centered on the Sun.

I've often heard this, but does anyone have photo evidence of these two logos being used on helmets in the same game?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I've often heard this, but does anyone have photo evidence of these two logos being used on helmets in the same game?

From Super Bowl VIII: looks like Csonka has the old-style Dolphin inside of the sun, while the offensive lineman on the ground has the newer Dolphin on top of the sun.

image.jpg

Here's a clearer (albeit black-and-white) shot from Super Bowl VIII: Csonka with the old Dolphin in the sun, with Bob Kuchenberg and Larry Little with the newer Dolphin on top of the sun:

PHO-11Feb03-287864.jpg

Looking at them together I have to say I prefer the older one that Csonka is sporting.

Here's a clearer (albeit black-and-white) shot from Super Bowl VIII: Csonka with the old Dolphin in the sun, with Bob Kuchenberg and Larry Little with the newer Dolphin on top of the sun:

PHO-11Feb03-287864.jpg

Looking at them together I have to say I prefer the older one that Csonka is sporting.

Thanks for posting the pics. Czonka was my favorite player as a boy.

As a kid I thought the Dolphin was jumping through a ring of fire.

Just me?

I still think that's what it represents.

Same here. Never thought of it being the sun till I saw it mentioned here on CCSLC.

I think it is suppose to represent both a ring of fire and the Sun. Dolphins used to be trained to jump thru hoops of fire. Miami considered naming the team The Suns (re: FLA, the Sunshine State).

Here's another uniform oddity. In those days the Bengals had a short sleeve jersey and a long sleeve jersey for cold weather games. The short sleeve jersey had the stripes separated, while the long sleeve jersey had the stripes touching.

Isaac Curtis

Holy crap. I thought I knew everything about the Bengals uniforms throughout the years.

This is one detail that I never noticed.

Thanks for posting that.

Isaac Curtis

Holy crap. I thought I knew everything about the Bengals uniforms throughout the years.

This is one detail that I never noticed.

Thanks for posting that.

I'm pretty sure these durene long sleeve jerseys without the spaces in the stripes were rarely used after the merger - probably only 1-2 games per season for say 1970-1973, then after that I believe they only came out 2-3 more times between 1974 and 1980. I remember Ken Anderson using one with a sewn-in hand warmer once in the late 1970s, and even then I don't think all the players were wearing the durene jerseys.

Archived