BREAKING NEWS: Brewers Host "Make our Alternate Uniform" Contest!

rmackman

I'm going to sound conceited myself but I think all 3 of these are just plain bad. None of them have creativity to them imo, the one I submitted and powersurge as well were so much better than these submissions. It's really disappointing to see these picked as the finalist.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to sound conceded myself but I think all 3 of these are just plain bad. None of them have creativity to them imo, the one I submitted and powersurge as well were so much better than these submissions. It's really disappointing to see these picked as the finalist.

Well then you are being the bigger man by conceding.

Did anyone on the board submit any of the final three?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm going to sound conceded myself but I think all 3 of these are just plain bad. None of them have creativity to them imo, the one I submitted and powersurge as well were so much better than these submissions. It's really disappointing to see these picked as the finalist.

No, you don't sound conceded. You sound conceited. First two are perfectly acceptable. I am actually a huge fan of the 2nd option. The third selection, as one user mentioned, is obviously a homer pick by the evaluators during the selective process.

Ron from Catonsville, MD:

im_youniformfinalist_269033363.jpg

This first one is beautiful. I love just about everything about it: the use of the cap logo on the left breast, the front number, the yellow-on-blue numbers, the player name in the reverse colours to the number, the piping and sleeve stripes, the stripes on the stirrups, the mere fact that the set includes stirrups. (They don't show the pants; but I assume that that lovely piping would be down the sides of the pant leg.)

While a lone patch is usually on the left sleeve, as OnWis has intimated, in this case it's probably on the right sleeve for better balance with the logo on the front of the jersey, which is high up on the left side. I'd bet that Ron from Catsonsville, MD tried both sides, and decided that the right sleeve was the better place for the patch.

My only quibble is with the vertically arched player names. Vertical arching is OK on a team name, where everyone wears the same mark; but, I really don't like to see it on player names. Vertical arching on player names is too chaotic; I strongly dislike that a letter's shape changes depending on where it sits in the player's name and on how long the name is. Every "A" should look like every other "A". On this uni, I'd prefer radially-arched player names in blue (just one colour).

So this one gets a score of 99 3/4 out of 100 from me. Bravissimo!

Yes its the best of the three. I would use blue on yellow numbers. The current Brewers set is by itself not that, say traditional because of the the woodmark, so the glove logo on the chest is the right choice.

My only quibble is with the vertically arched player names. Vertical arching is OK on a team name, where everyone wears the same mark; but, I really don't like to see it on player names. Vertical arching on player names is too chaotic; I strongly dislike that a letter's shape changes depending on where it sits in the player's name and on how long the name is. Every "A" should look like every other "A". On this uni, I'd prefer radially-arched player names in blue (just one colour).

I get where you're coming from, and feel that the vertical arching here is out of place with the radial arching on everything else they use, but come on, man, that's what made the Braves' uniform fully fantastic.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Perhaps the only "good" look to come out of MLB's infamous 1999 Turn Ahead The Clock initiative was the Brewers' TATC cap, featuring the Barrel Man. I actually got one of those caps on eBay a few years back, only to find out it was a different size than advertised.

In short, I am voting for the cream jersey, and if that cap is made available for retail, I will buy the hell out of it.

The fan vote will remain open until Jan. 22 at 10 a.m. CT and will count as one vote among the panel of eight judges. Besides Axford, the Brewers' panel includes general manager Doug Melvin, Schlesinger, Brewers senior director of merchandise branding Jill Aronoff and representatives from Majestic, New Era and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Well, which contest entry shows off the BP jersey template in the manufacturer's preferred fashion, while also incorporating the hot trend of white front-panel caps? Dammit all, there's your winner, folks.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Sorry for the bump...but they've unveiled the three finalists:

Ben from Richfield, MN:

im_youniformfinalist_301068269.jpg

Nicholas from Madison, WI:

im_youniformfinalist_269094176.jpg

You can vote for your favorites here until January 22:

The winner will be announced January 27 at the Brewers on Deck convention.

These are all fine in their own way, but No. 2 has my vote. Despite the vintage white, which is quickly getting as played out in baseball as in hockey, and the unorthodox cap logo, this is not a competition for a full-time alt. It's a one-off for a spring game, correct? No. 2 is a one-time uni, and even hearkens back to a previous one-time uni -- yes, Turn Ahead the Clock. I also really want to see a team use that old-time shoulder striping. Add that I also really like this script, and I'm sold.

No. 1 is very similar to their existing throwback look -- it's moving existing pieces around and putting them in new places -- not in all of MLB, but for the Brewers. So there's your potential full-timer. It's nice, but it doesn't really cover as much new ground as it seems to me it should.

No. 3 scares me, because it looks like it follows the BP/ spring training template. Plus it follows this year's trend in BP caps. But they have a far superior gold jersey, so it'd be a shame if that got picked. It'd be a nice run of the mill jersey from a few years back, but that's all.

That brings me to some of our earlier in-house submissions that I somehow just saw for the first time. While creative, a few just aren't practical. You have to at least follow existing New Era and Majestic templates, I'm sure. If these companies can't bother to match blues or reds on regular jerseys, they aren't going all out for a one-off.

EDIT: Ha! Sodboy's post wasn't there when I started typing my novel. Sorry for sharing similar fears.

This first one is beautiful. I love just about everything about it: the use of the cap logo on the left breast, the front number, the yellow-on-blue numbers, the player name in the reverse colours to the number, the piping and sleeve stripes, the stripes on the stirrups, the mere fact that the set includes stirrups. (They don't show the pants; but I assume that that lovely piping would be down the sides of the pant leg.)

While a lone patch is usually on the left sleeve, as OnWis has intimated, in this case it's probably on the right sleeve for better balance with the logo on the front of the jersey, which is high up on the left side. I'd bet that Ron from Catsonsville, MD tried both sides, and decided that the right sleeve was the better place for the patch.

So this one gets a score of 99 3/4 out of 100 from me. Bravissimo!

Are you Ron from MD? I'm joking, but I agree nice uni. However, 2 has my vote. Just looks like something a team named Brewers should wear. At least both used Barrel Man

I get the feeling I am just one of a few that really likes the off white/cream jerseys in baseball. And, I love vintage looks. So, my favorite is the second one of the lot (#20), with it's off white jersey, "turn of the century" word mark, piping and, of course, the beer barrel man.

But, I suspect the first one (#25) will win out in the end, because everyone loves the BiG...as do I.

So, what are the chances that the winning uni will be made available to us, the lowly public, to buy?

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the one that won, It's a good combination of eras. However, it made me mad that some fans were trashing it on facebook, mainly the hats. The Barrel Man's head on its own may not have been the best choice, but saying things like, "LOL it looks like a weiner!" is just ridiculous.

spacer.png

I love the lettering/vintage look of that second jersey. It just "fits" with the Brewers and Miller Park. The hat is a bit lost on me, but it makes the uniform cohesive and I can't wearing the Teddy Higuera-era cap with that jersey set.

I'm really happy they didn't pick the 3rd one. Buckeye, your hat is light years ahead of that one as far as white-front caps go.

That is a beautiful jersey. In a perfect world, the Brewers would make that a full-time alt.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived