Sign in to follow this  
awinagainov0708

Canisius College rebrand

I was hoping to get some opinions on my school's (Canisius College in Buffalo) new marketing campaign. I'm a member of the student senate, and we've been getting mostly negative reviews on it. The agency is 160over90 (http://www.160over90.com/). Some students opinions can be found in this student newspaper article

This is a mailer that was sent to prospective students

28886_10151092865302413_151628202_n.jpg

These are photos from a local shopping mall

100_4544.jpg

100_45471.jpg

100_45371.jpg

100_45582.jpg

100_45551.jpg

And this is a shot inside one of the buildings on campus

481665_4899112399366_548679740_n.jpg

In this day and age, though, it's all about catching one's attention when they receive college mail -- I simply shred all of mine but I'm much more likely to open up this Canisius mailing.

Actually, I love the branding. It focuses on what schooling -- or more precisely learning -- should be. I say well done.

"Go forth and set the world on fire." is a quote from St. Ignatius Loyola. Most people who see that, especially high school students, will think it's a reference to a song by Fun. That's not a good thing.

"Turn off the computer." posted above a computer lab. What? Strike two.

I can guess, pretty confidently, that the inside of that mailer says "Go Exploring!" Better than "Go to Canisius!" at least.

It's a weird advertising campaign for a small, private, Roman Catholic college. It's a weird campaign for any college, really.

I dunno, I kinda like it. That mall seems like it's gotta be one huge ad buy, though.

p.s.: I'd perhaps smudge out that poor guy's address?

"Go forth and set the world on fire." is a quote from St. Ignatius Loyola. Most people who see that, especially high school students, will think it's a reference to a song by Fun. That's not a good thing.

Well, Canisius is a Jesuit university, so it would make sense to use a quote from St. Ignatius Loyola in their advertising. Nor do I necessarily think they're trying to recruit students that look at it simply as a reference to a song and not looking at the meaning of the quote.

Living in the area, Canisus's branding has definitely caught my eye much more than any other college's has, by quite a lot.

Do you think their advertising may persuade you to seek a future of intellectual arson?

Don't underestimate the potentials of intellectual arson. It'll blow up your mind.

My understanding of the underlying idea here is "real life experiences"... but isn't that every school. I think if the focus was more on those enriching experiences that are unique to the school, rather than simply "disconnecting from the digital world" it would have made more sense. The overall look is fine, but I think the execution of the idea could have been better.

I'm not a fan of the "don't go to college" line, because it feels extremely gimmicky. It immediately made me roll my eyes.

Yay for the Walden Galleria.

But the "Don't Go to College" mailer...whut? Is there another part to that tagline?

graphically its well done and reminds me a bit of Full Sail University, but i agree with Shmee, their message is odd. i don't know the brand and the direction they are taking, but from first glance, it's not quite right. they are an "explorer" brand, they tell you that directly, and the difference between them and Full Sail is that FS is a "magician", a "dream maker" archetype and their message wrapped in the same kind of aesthetic is better suited to this audience. that dosent mean this is a complete failure though, i think it's fine, but it has a bit of a community college feel to it

as someone who works in college marketing, i like the environmental displays and the overall message of the "go exploring" pieces - at least one part of the "don't go to college..." message is finished by the line "just to read textbooks.", so this appears to really support the "go exploring" theme - the tag line was probably used on some soft-lead mailer and they want the recipient to be so intrigued that they open the mailing and read more - if this was used to mail an intro packet to students who had requested information, i wouldn't think this was effective, though...if they are requesting information, they are telling you they WANT to go to college, and your school is one of the schools they are considering - the negative could be a real turn-off in that instance

In this day and age, though, it's all about catching one's attention when they receive college mail -- I simply shred all of mine but I'm much more likely to open up this Canisius mailing.

Actually, I love the branding. It focuses on what schooling -- or more precisely learning -- should be. I say well done.

so this worked for at least one person :)

one of the most successful SAT search campaigns we ever did had an envelope that said "Don't open this envelope, unless..."

overall, this appears to be a pretty strong campaign, although the work that 160/90 shows on their website is a good deal more "edgy" than what is posted here....

Is that a Simon Propery? Kinda Looks like the Nanuet Mall a few months before it closed and got torn down.

Is that a Simon Property? Kinda Looks like the Nanuet Mall a few months before it closed and got torn down.

Is that a Simon Propery? Kinda Looks like the Nanuet Mall a few months before it closed and got torn down.

No, it's a Pyramid property.