NFL Week 13 uniform discussion

Sport

Remember how we used to have a weekly thread on the NFL uniforms? I liked those so I'm bringing it back for this week.

So what's going on this weekend?

Atlanta is in their beautiful throwbacks, which beg the question, why aren't they wearing these for every game?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I like these Atlanta throwbacks, but I prefer the Black-Black-Silver uni's from the Deion Sanders era. Heck all they would need to do is update the logo to the current one and this would be the best uniform they could have.

tumblr_me4js7WXGw1ql3z1f.jpg

I am curious to know what happened to these away beauties for the Saints?

Miami+Dolphins+v+New+Orleans+Saints+9Jayjcu_W4jl.jpg

spacer.png

I like these Atlanta throwbacks, but I prefer the Black-Black-Silver uni's from the Deion Sanders era. Heck all they would need to do is update the logo to the current one and this would be the best uniform they could have.

I liked it better when they reversed the pants stripe around

jamfield-1.jpg

It helped balance the red with a primarily black uniform and the white-black-white stripe kind of looked like the old helmet stripe so you sorta had some Falcons history thrown in there.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I love Atlanta's throwbacks. Buffalo was smart and abanoned the horrid millennium look. Now only if other teams would follow suit: Atlanta, Arizona, Cincinnati, Minnesota, and Jacksonville.

Whoa...slow down a little bit there. Maybe Jacksonville out of that list but the rest just need minor tweaks.

jamfield-1.jpg

It helped balance the red with a primarily black uniform and the white-black-white stripe kind of looked like the old helmet stripe so you sorta had some Falcons history thrown in there.

I like those better, but I prefer either one over their current throwback.

spacer.png

jamfield-1.jpg

I liked it better, too. Also because they added the red numbers and socks on the road unis.

If the Falcons had to throw back anything, let it be one of the uniforms from the 70s or '80s. The Falcons looked their best when they had those red jerseys paired up with the red helmets. The road set was great as well.

I'm not really too fond of the uniforms they trotted out there last night. They're rather plain. The jerseys really aren't like the ones from '66 because they're missing those white-red-white Northwestern stripes at the sleeves. They're more comparable to the Dan Reeves-era uniforms than anything else with the small Falcon logo on the sleeevs, only that the red trim is much thinner.

As for the Saints, they should just get rid of those black pants. They don't look good paired up with either the white or the black uniforms. Gold pants should be worn with both jerseys. If the Saints ever brought back those gold alternates then maybe there might be a chance for those black pants to work. Maybe.

I like Atlanta's throwbacks .... what I don't like is the Nike logo above both of the sleeve logos. It takes away from the logo itself. I never particularly cared for the Glanville black jersey and helmet uniforms

The NFL should drop the Nike logos having to be placed on each sleeve, and just use one swoosh logo on the chest like in college and the shirts on the soccer kits..Jersey sleeves are short enough during this era as-is without having their logos clutter up the sleeves even more.

AZ ... they really need to abandon those red shoulder yokes on their away uniform as Buffalo did. Only Dallas' throwbacks looks good with the white shoulder yokes with the stars on them. Theirs is a great faux uniform, wouldn't have looked as well if they went with the royal like they had from 1960-1963

I really think ATL should revert back to the throwbacks as primary. Their old red helmet and red jerseys were too much of the same color, just as the black on black Glanville's were too much, That black helmet logo didn't stand out well enough on the black helmet..

Jax should have left their 90s unforms alone, perhaps go with teal pants on the road at times. Always liked the Jaguar on the sleeves during the Tony Boselli era.

Saints black pants ... I hate 'em just like everyone else. It's okay to have both black and gold pants (don't like the matte) but I like the pants to be metallic on the gold pants just like the helmet.and stripes. The socks with the black pants are all wrong too, and they need gold numbers with black outline on the white away jerseys .... all in all NO needs a major tweaking.

My main gripe is the excessive lowering of the length of the sleeves.. I'm tired of looking at shoulder pads. The NFL really needs to address that problem.

Also, is it really necessary to have jersey numbers on the shoulders or upper sleeves? I can tell a players ID without those numbers, it was fine in 1994 for NFL-75 just as it was when the Browns wore their throwbacks.

What about using their current logo on a red helmet and leave the rest of their uniform as is?

The Falcons current jersey and pants just look so dated IMO. That's the problem with all those "millenial" uniforms... Atlanta, Minnesota, Arizona, Cincinnati... all the uniforms from the early 2000's with the side-panel-to-pant-stripe motif just seem like a really tired product of their time, despite that time being less than a decade ago. In ten years, we'll see video of these looks and say, "oh, yeah, I remember those", like late 70's sky blue road uniforms in baseball, or 90s NBA jerseys with the giant graphics across the front.

The analogy has been used on this board a lot, but its a pretty good one. Bell bottom pants, extra wide ties, parachute pants, day-glo jams... these things come and go, but a well tailored pin striped suit will work forever.

jamfield-1.jpg

I disagree. That look was always "off" to me. Maybe it's because it bucked the traditional striping pattern of the darker color being on the outside of the stripes. It always looked mismatched, like the pants came from a different set. Also, I wasn't crazy about the road look.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

thoughts:

- the Seahawks have white pants? The all-white looks about as good as that uniform can look. The roads need more green in them though because on TV they look like their only colors are navy blue and white.

- The Rams throwbacks look horrible with the Nike collar. That jersey might be the most adversely affected by the nike collars.

49ers_Rams_Football_Walt_t_w600_h1200.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

What about using their current logo on a red helmet and leave the rest of their uniform as is?

It's been tried conceptually and really didn't work at all. The black helmet with red jersey has enought contrast to really work well. I don't really mind the sleeves either. It's subtle enough to look pretty nice on the field.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I think that's the Rams fault, isn't it? They could have chosen to go with no fly wire (like GB, Philly, New England) for at least those uniforms.

You can still have the fly-wire without having the toilet seat collar ... Look at the Giants and Bears as one of several examples.

The Bills will be wearing their all-white 1965 faux throwbacks at home against the Rams Sunday. The collars are solid white but they do have the fly-wire. Why they Rams have a toilet-seat collar on a throwback uniform makes no sense whatsoever.

I think that's the Rams fault, isn't it? They could have chosen to go with no fly wire (like GB, Philly, New England) for at least those uniforms.

You can still have the fly-wire without having the toilet seat collar ... Look at the Giants and Bears as one of several examples.

But that's because their collars are the same color as their jersey. The Rams would have had to have had a super thick collar like the Texans if they wanted to avoid the toilet seat look but still use fly wire

arian-foster-corbett-10-7-2012-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6f308816ac2a14e2a4ec

90758391980.gif

Yes. It's the Rams' fault because they fell for Nike's snake oil. OMG! If we go with a normal collar, our players will be weighed down with .7 ounces more fabric, which could be the difference between a game-winning TD and falling down at the 1 from exhaustion!

I am not sure, but I don't think Nike let teams use the flywire if they wanted a full-color collar. The Texans don't actually use flywire, but apparently they are morons because they went with the crappy thick collar, anyway. I believe the Texans are the only team with a full thick-collar. All of the flywire teams either have the toilet seat look or non-contrasting collars.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived