New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

the logo is fine. most disappointing thing is they used a basketball in it, i hate that! the direction they went with brand voice (fierce illustrated animal) is to be expected. unlike the Nets, they arnt trying to do somethign really unique, they want to look like they fit in the NBA. thats what this whole thing does. its really odd, if this is the primary mark, that they focus on city name rather than the nickname. i dont think its either right or wrong, but for a primary logo for a professional team i think the name is more important. its not like in college sports where the university is whats being represented. we refer to pro teams by their nicknames and to see one unlike that is just odd. at least it is now.

the colors are good. im not a big fan of the red/blue/gold palette, but if they had to go this way, im glad they went with these. especially the vegas gold (not sure if thats exactly vegas gold) rather than yellow which would have turned out looking like a Fischer Price product.

Considering that this entire rebrand was about finding something that represents New Orleans, as opposed to a general feeling that the name Hornets was in some other way inappropriate, the prominence of the city name makes sense to me.

it certainly carries more brand imagery with it than "Pelicans". i mean, New Orleans has a pretty unique culture. but this logo is armed to the teeth with N.O. references, theres no way someones not going to get that they're based there. the flur, the pelican itself, the iron design at the top, the crescent in the ball, the typeface. its screaming "NEW ORLEANS!"

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bird-de-lis does not hold a candle to the fleur-de-bee

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This would have looked better with the pink-ish red that seemed to be on the leaked screenshots. I'm actually gonna change my opinion on this; the package is ok and the color scheme is uninspiring. So i'm going to call this a loss.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Not of fan of the Bird-de-lis. Look at the bottom of the logo. The two parts sticking out make it look like the Pelican's beak is split open.

I also agree with Foxxtrot44. The reddish-pink color was originally one of my favorite parts of the logo. Disappointing, especially with the obviously rushed Bird-de-lis.

Archived