New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

RIP, Fluer-De-Bee, one of the best logos in sports. :cry:

Hugo, I hope to see you back in Charlotte where you belong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I literally spit out my root beer and was glad my computer didn't crash. It is such a horrible name. What do you guys think?

It has a lot of history behind it, although that's an alien concept to you. Pelicans is a good name for a New Orleans team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I literally spit out my root beer and was glad my computer didn't crash. It is such a horrible name. What do you guys think?

It has a lot of history behind it, although that's an alien concept to you. Pelicans is a good name for a New Orleans team.

It's a great name! Pelicans has history, is a nasty bird that eats other birds, and is fun. Nobody complains about a NFL team called the Dolphins. I'm excited if this is true.

Pelicans just does not sound professional.

I think minor league but the NBA has some of those already.

I would prefer Spirits or even Spirit.

Having a singular team name is as minor league as you can get without swapping a 'z' for an 's'.

Like I said in the other thread, I really liked the Hornets but won't be disappointed if the Bobcats change to it. I think Pelicans is a great name for the team.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It's certainly not a name that's going to strike fear into the hearts of their opponents, nor does "New Orleans Pelicans" roll off the tongue particularly gracefully, but they definitely needed to change it so even if Pelicans wouldn't be my first choice I do think any change is a good thing.

But surely they could've come up with something better though, especially when the city has such rich lore and history.

Maybe they could've arranged a three-way team name trade. Charlotte would become the Hornets again, New Orleans would become the Jazz again, and Utah would become the Utah Bobcats (or something else entirely). Win-win-win.

exasperate.gif

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Maybe they could've arranged a three-way team name trade. Charlotte would become the Hornets again, New Orleans would become the Jazz again, and Utah would become the Utah Bobcats (or something else entirely). Win-win-win.

Tiger.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why does "Utah Jazz" bother so many people? I'm fine with it. Just leave it be, already!

Eh, I don't think it really bothers most people at all. It's just a joke about how some NBA names don't really fit the team's location, like the Jazz and Lakers.

I think Pelicans works for NO, though. As stated, there is a bit of history with that name and it's a chance for NO to rebrand to something they fell will better fit their city.

(@ Cujo) Leave it "bee?" Got it...

Pelicans??? I like the familiarity of that name in NOLA, but I would have preferred "Brass" or a reprise of the ABA entry's name, "Buccaneers."

As for the Hornets, I'm all for that name reverting to Charlotte. "Teal and purple, teal and purple, teal and purple, teal and purple..."

not-sure-if-trolling-or-not.jpg

• Dumping the "Hornets" name: Thumbs down. It's a fine name and has been pointed out, we are losing a great alt logo in the fleur-de-bee.
  • Pelicans: Given that they are doing this, thumbs up. It's a fine name. There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing a bird (the state bird, at that). It is unique in major pro sports and is not tacky. It beats the heck out of "Wild".
  • The likely use of "Hornets" by Charlotte: Thumbs WAY down. I know, we all liked the Charlotte Hornets, but franchise confusion bugs me. The only thing worse is if they gave the new hornets the "history" that the current franchise had in exhange for the Bobcats history being housed in New Orleans. I prefer obvious franchise lineage and even feel that the Ravens should be the Baltimore Browns. Additionally, I never minded "Bobcats". Beats "Heat" and "Magic."
  • The long shot that Utah gives up "Jazz" to New Orleans. Thumbs even further down. More franchise confusion, but given the "Pelicans" name, seems unlikely.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived