NBA court database

kodrinsky

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good thread. Keep it going. It is weird how just seeing the old courts instantly triggers memories of past games and players. I am a little surprised by how many courts there have been over time.

I'm surprised that the standardization of NBA courts--team logo at center court, team names on the baselines, arena name between arc and center line placed kitty-corner, team colors throughout--is only a recent development. '90s courts look sloppy and disorganized by comparison, as if the teams just happened to use the floors. The Spurs at HemisFair played on, like, a periwinkle court. Why.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That pretty much was the case with the old barns... they were mostly seen as civic facilities that occasionally hosted sports in addition to concerts, conventions, rasslin', monster truck rallies or anything else rolling through the city that could draw 10,000+ people. It really wasn't until the current wave of arenas began in the 1990s that the idea of sports franchises being "anchor tenants" whose needs an arena should be tailored for was codified.

This is a good thread. Keep it going. It is weird how just seeing the old courts instantly triggers memories of past games and players. I am a little surprised by how many courts there have been over time.

I'm surprised that the standardization of NBA courts--team logo at center court, team names on the baselines, arena name between arc and center line placed kitty-corner, team colors throughout--is only a recent development. '90s courts look sloppy and disorganized by comparison, as if the teams just happened to use the floors. The Spurs at HemisFair played on, like, a periwinkle court. Why.

In a way I kind of like the way the old courts (until the mid 1990's) didn't all follow the same mold. At the same time, many of them were messy and ugly. I guess as the NBA, and pro sports in general grew as a business, it is only natural that teams began to put value on their team brand, and not only the product on the court. It only makes sense that courts would start to match the team's identity.

I like some of the old floors, others I do not. I really liked the old Salt Palace floor with the concentric green/yellow/purple stripes around the court. Multi-purpose courts with too many court markings tended to look ugly, like that first Bradley Center floor.

That Spurs court I believe only was light blue when they switched to the Fiesta colors. It and the Alamodome courts got a pass because their uniforms were black and white, which are basically neutral colors.

bSLCtu2.png

Love that era of the Suns. The only weakness is they never had a logo that lent itself to center court. The streaking sun over the purple center circle works, but it's not exactly a good keystone, you know?

Which typeface did you use on the baseline? It looks like Arcitectura but isn't. It's a very '90s look; I like it.

Love that era of the Suns. The only weakness is they never had a logo that lent itself to center court. The streaking sun over the purple center circle works, but it's not exactly a good keystone, you know?

Which typeface did you use on the baseline? It looks like Arcitectura but isn't. It's a very '90s look; I like it.

Newport Classic

Your queen is just a pawn with some fancy moves.

Archived