NWSL Team Logos and Kits

Brian in Boston

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it.

I like the name, I like incorporating the Timbers' "Rose City" logo:

PortlandTimbersRoseCityRed.jpg

And most of all, I love that it's not just a "kid sister" diminuitive version of "Timbers". Related, but separate.

Not totally sold on the hypocycloids, but my biggest concern is the color scheme. That shade of green is, I fear, way too dark to be set against black and maintain legibility at any distance.

Washington Freedom had a better identity.

Apparently, the rights to the Washington Freedom name and logo are owned by Dan Brownislow, whose stewardship of the magicJack franchise in the Women's Professional Soccer League was felt, by a number of parties, to have played a significant role in the ultimate demise of that league. As a result, it is highly unlikely that either ownership of the Washington Spirit or officials with the United Stated Soccer Federation wanted to negotiate with Brownislow in order to obtain the Washington Freedom brand.

Meanwhile, as noted, Portland's entry in the new women's pro soccer league has unveiled its name and logo. The franchise, owned by Merritt Paulson - investor/operator of Major League Soccer's Portland Timbers - will be known as the Portland Thorns.

11987954-large.jpg

The logo was designed by Timbers Army member Brent Diskin. The "vortex rose" mark from the Timbers' "Rose City" alternate kits is featured at the center of the primary mark, encircled by a wreath of the club's namesake thorns. Four-point stars, reminiscent of the one at the center of the City of Portland flag, serve as containment shapes for the "F" and "C" on either side of the logo. The team's initials - PTFC - are the same as those of the Portland Timbers Football Club.

Finally, SB Nation's "Sounder At Heart" blog has reported that the Seattle-based franchise in the new women's professional soccer league is considering the names Seattle FC, Seattle Reign FC, and Seattle Sirens FC. Domains corresponding to all three identities have been registered to Bill Predmore, owner of the Seattle team in the still unnamed women's pro league.

I get the feeling that the Portland logo is just going to look like a big black spot on the uniform. Admittedly though, I've just never been a fan of matching dark green with black. I think white or yellow (or "moss" i suppose) would have been better for the fill on the shield.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I get the feeling that the Portland logo is just going to look like a big black spot on the uniform. Admittedly though, I've just never been a fan of matching dark green with black. I think white or yellow (or "moss" i suppose) would have been better for the fill on the shield.

Better yet, swap the black and white. Then you can put it against a dark jersey (or cap, or tshirt, because merchandising.) and it'll have a good contrast. Green thorns would look very sharp against white, where they are muddy and indistinct against black.

There goes my concept for a Portland Thorns baseball team, the rationale being that I had to do something rose-related without calling them Roses or Rosebuds.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived