Basketball fantasy logo - Washington Reign!

Aric_Cee

I have been an avid browser on this board for some time and have come across some excellent designs, especially ones from nitroseed and SyPhi. Well, I've been dabbling with Illustrator for some time now, and finally created my first logo design.

For the past few years, I have been using the same team name in every basketball fantasy league I join. I call them the Washington Reign. The team colors are as follows:

was-reign_swatches.jpg

But, as far as the color placement on the logo goes, I'm not sure which looks best. What do you guys think?

was-reign_logo-colors.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 and 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm gonna have to go with everybody else. 5 is the winner. The black outline on the ball and around the letters makes it clearer and sharper. White makes it kind of washed out.

1 and 6

5 is too 'easy' Be daring.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

It's very well executed, but it doesn't say anything about "Reign" to me... all is says to me is "we play basketball." Maybe try working it some sort royal imagery to give the logo some flava.

And out of the choices, I like 5 and 6 the best.

Assuredly far better than anything we've seen out of the ABA thus far! Very nice, clean work, my friend. Welcome to the board, and thanks for the compliment!

To be honest, #5 is actually my least favorite of the group. The black is almost too overpowering in that instance, and really weighs down the logo. Mayhaps if it was a darker navy color, it might improve it a bit. That said, with your current options, I'm leaning towards #1 as my top pick and #6 as a secondary choice, though I don't like how dominant the gray color is in #6.

I also agree with Avenger's remark that it doesn't have anything indicative of being a team that "reigns" over anything. It's very matter-of-fact and generic in that sense, as there is nothing to really give it an extra shove towards individuality. By that, I mean any random city and mascot could be interchanged and it might fit just as easily. Try to break down the intricacies of the concept of "reign" and work on integrating some different imagery into it. The name has a broad spectrum of potential, so get creative! :)

Now, keep in mind, nitro's life goal is to eliminate black form all logos ever.. ;)

I agree... they bring up a good point about the standard-ness of the logo. Maybe add a crown shape behind the ball, as wide as the nameblock. I think that could look cool.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I disagree with Nitro, and thereby put my knowledge of logos in serious doubt in the minds of the public. I feel that the black in #5 gives the logo, which is comprise mainly of rather pastel-type colours some much needed strength and contrast.

...although I do believe that black is the most overused colour in sports, and by this token I say #4 uses black minimally but rather effectively.

My vote lies with #5, but #4 is second.

However I am in complete agreement that the logo is quite indistinct. You've got some terrific artwork here, but the concept behind the artwork could use a little work.

Welcome here Aric_Cee, and congratulations on a work-in-progress well done! :)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Well, my problem with #5 is that the black is almost too much. I don't think there is anything all that significant gained from the black, other than a slight contrast nudge, but I think it's a misuse of black. I really think something less dramatic but yet still somewhat dark (navy?) would work better. I keep looking at it and I think what's bothering me is the red and gray ball... I think. There's really just something that I can't quite vocalize that bothers me about the whole thing.

I'm going to alter my original picks, though, and say that I like #4 quite a bit now, but only conditionally. I still don't like the use of black (I'd prefer a navy, as I've stated before), but I think this one does appeal to me a bit more than #1 or #6 as I originally stated. The only other problem I have is the heavy blue outline around the perimeter. It almost seems unnecessary and somewhat distracting to me. Maybe a lighter gray? Might be a bit much, but worth some tweaking.

...which is comprise mainly of rather pastel-type colours...

:therock: I don't see one pastel in the scheme...

Yeah, pastel probably isn't the right word... I mean primarily non-intense colours that are a few hues off of true red and blue, the blue moreso than the red.

Basically, their lighter and less intense than fire engine red and royal blue.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived