2013-14 Soccer kits

UnclearInitial

To illustrate the concept that any single manufacturer being handed the license to an entire league is a bad thing and not just an MLS/Adidas problem, here's the 2013 templated mess that is the Chinese Super League!

China_Football_Super_League_16_Team_Home_Kits_2013_17684-1024x655.jpg

I honestly don't see what is so bad about these.

Falcons. UGA. Hawks. Braves. Tottenham Hotspur. Atlanta United

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To illustrate the concept that any single manufacturer being handed the license to an entire league is a bad thing and not just an MLS/Adidas problem, here's the 2013 templated mess that is the Chinese Super League!

Not sure this pic proves your point. This set is MUCH better than adidas' current MLS set and none of these are terrible. Now, Nike's first MLS-set was a league-wide templated mess.

Except Nike wasn't league-wide with MLS at any point.

Now those half-and-half "sawtooth" jerseys they tried with the Clash & MetroStars were awful, as were the patterened-sleeve nightmares on the Burn, Galaxy, and Mutiny. But adidas brough plenty of ugly to the party in 1996, too.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That's a pretty great looking soccer league. You have a mixture of polo, crew, and v-necks. You have hoops, stripes, and solids. Sure, there may be a few too many sleeve cuffs, but that doesn't make them a bad looking shirt, just similar.

You made it sound like Nike replicated the 2002 World Cup all over again.

That's a pretty great looking soccer league. You have a mixture of polo, crew, and v-necks. You have hoops, stripes, and solids. Sure, there may be a few too many sleeve cuffs, but that doesn't make them a bad looking shirt, just similar.

You made it sound like Nike replicated the 2002 World Cup all over again.

The main problem I see is a whole lot of the same colours. Get rid of red/orange and blue, and you have two green kits and one purple. But that can't be blamed on Nike.

The CSL picture above lacks any creativity when it comes to jerseys. Would each look fine independent of the others? Probably. But as a league, it is just TOO generic. Adidas at least attempts to put some creativity and subtle motifs on their kits. To be clear I don't like the vast majority of the MLS kits, but at least they're attempting to give teams a different identity.

The CSL picture above lacks any creativity when it comes to jerseys. Would each look fine independent of the others? Probably. But as a league, it is just TOO generic. Adidas at least attempts to put some creativity and subtle motifs on their kits. To be clear I don't like the vast majority of the MLS kits, but at least they're attempting to give teams a different identity.

Pretty much this. These are all Nike templates from the past couple of years used on other teams. At least some clubs in the MLS have unique sets.

6fQjS3M.png

Pretty much this. These are all Nike templates from the past couple of years used on other teams. At least some clubs in the MLS have unique sets.

But just because a template is unique doesn't make it good.

Keep in mind all these Chinese teams have fairly generic color schemes. The MLS deserves a lot of credit for having plenty of unique color schemes, which can't be said for a lot of pro sports leagues.

Maybe I'm biased but I feel like every single kit that France has had since switching to Nike has been better than any Adidas jersey that had. Quality work every single time thus far. Been wanting US to have a similar jersey to this but it's too late now.

This is true, but they never looked like kits France would wear. I want the royal blue shirts with red socks back.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Maybe I'm biased but I feel like every single kit that France has had since switching to Nike has been better than any Adidas jersey that had. Quality work every single time thus far. Been wanting US to have a similar jersey to this but it's too late now.

While the shirts are classier, none of them truly scream "France" as much as the likes of these did:

thierry_henry_03.jpg

(even if they are not as nice)

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

France is getting a bit stale for me. Individually, each kit is very nice. The first few they put out were classy and definitely got my attention for their blend of minimalism and style. But now that they all follow the same template, it's no longer as impressive. Three of the five kits Nike has put out for France have all followed the same template (same collar with deep neck stitching, thick sleeve cuffs, with only color/detailing on the cuffs). Their first away kit and Euro 2012 home kit were unique designs, but these three are all way too similar.

Nike_MaillotFFF_01White_hi-767x1024-650x867.jpg

France-away-kit-2012.jpg

nike-france-away-jersey-4.jpg

The thing to remember with those adidas kits are that three stripes had to put somewhere on the shirt, leading to that beautiful 1998 kit and their horrible 2010 kit. Nike doesn't need to throw three stripes on to make them look nice. And if you go back to 1982, these new kits fit that aesthetic much more than the last few adidas uniforms did.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

But just because a template is unique doesn't make it good.

Keep in mind all these Chinese teams have fairly generic color schemes. The MLS deserves a lot of credit for having plenty of unique color schemes, which can't be said for a lot of pro sports leagues.

No, but it's boring to see the same templates teams across Europe already use being used in the same ways here.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived