Minnesota Vikings Logo Revamp

robo3687

Lately I've felt the Vikings logo looked a bit dated and wanted to jazz it up a bit and make it a bit more modern looking. Now being a Packer fan it pains me to spend so much time on a rival team design, but hey, the Vikings are my least disliked of the other NFC North teams so I figured why not.

I started out trying to freehand it (on my iPad, in the ArtStudio app), which didn't go so well...so I went into illustrator and roughed out some curves.

001tbd.jpg

Which I then put onto my iPad (again in ArtStudio) and started sketching out the idea. After a bit of shape tweaking and a lot of sketching I came out with this.

002vdj.jpg

Then I took it into photoshop and gave it a once over with Liquify to nudge everything into place. After that it was just a case of redrawing it in Illustrator and colouring it up.

vikingsdone.jpg

It's really only the first logo I've done and for an afternoon/night's worth of work I'm pretty happy with it. I'd love to get some thoughts on it.

It's a good start. There are two areas that jump out at me as needing some refinement.

• The mustache seems far too tall and the black triangle in the bottom right (just above the lip) is awkward.
  • The angle of the hair braid and how it comes back from left to right—the opposite direction of how all the other hair in the logo moves—is throwing things off.

Hope this helps.

I cannot give you any advice on how to improve your logo because I'm more of a "spectator" when it comes to logos, but I will say that you did a good job revamping the logo. It is a little awkward in some parts as said above, but I'm sure with some help you can turn this into something spectacular. It is a great first draft, I cannot wait for more.

I think you have a good base shape going, and its got good 'motion' but as people have stated its a bit blocky, and mostly...his mustache is way too big. Nobody's mustache ends near their ear. If i may, i suggest starting with your general shape in black, then creating your highlighted areas in lesser detail, accenting shadow properly like most modern logos do.

First of all, GREAT start. The fact that guys are so nit-picky right away shows that you did the big stuff right the first time.

As others have said, the direction of the braid doesn't really makesense, and on the chin/goatee, you need to make the yellow area better match the shape of the black around it. My only other suggestion is to increase the line weight on the far left of the logo (outlining the hair). It seems a bit thin compared with the rest of the logo.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

What I see here is a viking who weighs about 90 pounds, not the huge, robust norseman that the current logo depicts. He looks like a weasely character, like a Wormtongue from Lord of the Rings, when he should look like a huge brute of a man, like Boromir or the leader of the riders of Rohan (I know, too many LOTR references, I am a geek.)

I think it is something about the angle that makes the viking looks small and wirey instead of large and brawny.

thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys. In a post New Years haze I roughed out these two different revisions in ArtStudio. Thoughts?

My personal preference is a)

vikingslogo.jpg

i'll probably get around to drawing it up properly in a few days

The braid makes more sense from a directional perspective, but honestly to me it feels forced right now. I understand that you're keeping it because it's a signature element of the original logo, but at this point, I feel like your concept would look better without it.

Archived