Open Wheel Racing Chat 2013

rvrdgsfn

I figured it was time to start up with the new season, Grand Am & ALMS is supposed to reveal a lot of new stuff tomorrow & within the next couple of weeks, F1 will unveil their new machines (hopefully without the platypus noses). Of course the 24 hours of Daytona is in a few weeks & for those that follow Rally, the Dakar begins Saturday.

So what are you looking forward to with Open wheel, I'm looking forward to see what IndyCar is going to do this season, to see what F1 can do especially if any drivers can stop Seb. The final seasons of Grand-AM & ALMS & V8 Supercars coming to Austin. I think this is going to be an interesting year for auto racing

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-2014-class-structure-unveil-set-for-jan-4/

We find out tomorrow about the Grand-AM/ALMS as they will reveal class structure (hopefully a new name too).

baltimoreravens.png

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be better if we named this thread "Motorsports Chat 2013" or something of that nature, just to broaden the spectrum.

Also, Do you want to know how much space is there in an LMP1 car?

I had a feeling that they weren't built for space, but man is that rough, no wonder you need more than one driver for the endurance races, imagine one driver being in that for 24 hours along with fatigue.

I wish I thought of that, I just figured I would just do the same, plus I dunno if anyone else follows other types of racing such as MotoGP or SBK (superbike) but usually NASCAR gets its own thread, so I'd figured I leave things alone.

So, Grand-Am made their announcement.

http://www.grand-am....?cid=6383&sid=1

• GRAND-AM’s DP and the ALMS’ P2 classes will combine into one, headlining prototype class that also will include the revolutionary DeltaWing prototype, with performance of the cars balanced to maintain close competition.
  • The ALMS’ Prototype Challenge (PC) class for spec prototypes will continue to run as a separate class.
  • Both of the organizations’ production-based GT classes will continue as separate, distinct categories based on performance, preserving each class’ proud history and loyal fan following. As part of this plan, the ALMS’ GTC cars will join the GRAND-AM GTs.
  • GRAND-AM’s new GX class, which is debuting at this year’s Rolex 24 later this month, is being explored as a possible addition to the GRAND-AM half of the GT mix in 2014-15. There also is the possibility that GX will run separately as a fifth class.

Specifications for all classes still are being determined and will be announced later this year. In addition, there will be continued discussion regarding the increasing inclusion of green technologies in the new unified series.

“This is a ‘best of both worlds’ approach that reflects the fact we have a true merger evolving on a daily basis,” said GRAND-AM Managing Director of Competition Richard Buck.

baltimoreravens.png

This is a good sign IMO....

http://formula-one.s...altteri-bottas/

Valtteri Bottas has revealed that Williams' 2013 car will not feature a 'stepped' front nose.

Following the public's reaction to the aesthetics of last year's cars, the FIA has allowed teams to install a "structurally irrelevant" laminate over the step in 2013.

The 'modesty panel,' however, is not mandatory, which had raised doubts about whether teams would actually take up the option.

baltimoreravens.png

I think it would be better if we named this thread "Motorsports Chat 2013" or something of that nature, just to broaden the spectrum.

Also, Do you want to know how much space is there in an LMP1 car?

I had a feeling that they weren't built for space, but man is that rough, no wonder you need more than one driver for the endurance races, imagine one driver being in that for 24 hours along with fatigue.

The snug fit of any racecar is designed that way for safety reasons. More space means more places for the driver's body to flop around in a crash. If you're cocooned in a capsule in a crash you're much more likely to walk away unscathed. See Alan McNish's or Rockenfeller's crashes at LeMans. Both walked away relatively unharmed.

I'm excited for the Grand-Am season to start. It is by far my favorite racing series. The Grand-Am/ALMS merger classes are a bit odd, in my opinion, but it gives everyone from both series a place to play in 2014. I imagine by 2016 or so there will be more homogenized, and the number of classes, and types of cars in each class will decrease. This structure keeps the manufacturers like Corvette happy for a little while without needing to modify or completely redesign a car for the merger.

Mercedes has shown their 2014 engine...

1357915082.jpg

http://www.racer.com...article/275729/

Mercedes-Benz has unveiled the first images of the 2014 Formula 1 power unit that it believes will put the "motor back in motorsport."

As dyno testing of its new V6 1.6-liter turbocharged unit continues at its Brixworth, UK facility, Mercedes says early indications from its work are pointing toward an exciting era for grand prix racing once the 2014 rules come into force.

Andy Cowell, managing director of Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines, dismissed fears that the new power units would not deliver as exciting a sound as the current V8 engines, and predicted thrills for fans and challenges for drivers.

"The engines are going to be loud but, I think, sweet-sounding," he said. "The frequency will be higher and, with the turbocharger running at 125,000rpm, they will be loud. When you are stood next to it on the dyno it is not quiet and you need ear defenders.

"There will be a new quality to the racing, too. It will edge toward a thinking drivers' formula to get the most from the car and the available fuel energy.

So far it looks like most of the machines will be unveiled in February right before Jerez, Ferrari, Infiniti Red Bull, Force India, while McLaren will go first Jan 31.

baltimoreravens.png

Surprise news from the F1 winter paddock..according to German paper Bild, Williams executive director and shareholder Toto Wolff is to get a senior role at Mercedes Benz motorsport, replacing Norbert Haug.

No official confirmation yet, but speculation that he will share duties with Nikki Lauda (or report to him) and probably oversee DTM and F1 programmes.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Glock departure confirmed. :(

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105209

Drivers now linked to the vacant seat are Bruno Senna, Vitaly Petrov, Luis Razia and Sebastian Buemi.

Interesting quote from team principal John Booth.

"Our team was founded on the principle of benefiting from proven experience whilst also providing opportunities for young emerging talent to progress to the pinnacle of motorsport. Thus far, this philosophy has also been reflected in our commercial model.

"The ongoing challenges facing the industry mean that we have had to take steps to secure our long-term future. Tough economic conditions prevail and the commercial landscape is difficult for everyone, Formula 1 teams included.

Glock departure confirmed. :(

Not really a massive surprise. He would probably still have his place if they had not been pipped by Caterham in the constructors championship standings for 10th place on the final day of the season - which is said to be worth several million dollars in bonus prize money over the 11th spot.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

^You're probably right there.

And confirmation of Toto joining Merc.

http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/en/#/s/news/1997/mercedes-benz-strengthens-formula-1-racing-team

...Daimler has signed a letter of intent with Austrian investor and motorsport manager Toto Wolff, according to which Wolff will acquire a significant minority interest in the Daimler subsidiary Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Ltd. (MGP) and will also head that company as its executive director. Furthermore, Niki Lauda, currently non-executive chairman of MGP, will also acquire a stake in the company. Together with Ross Brawn, Lauda and Wolff will complete the management of the Mercedes-Benz Formula 1 racing team.

That's not the only change that may go on... Brawn could be shown the door as well.

http://www.planetf1....awn-And-Fry-Out

Less than a day after the Brackley squad confirmed that former Williams man Toto Wolff has joined them as director of motorsport, Germany's Sport Bild claimed that McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe has followed Hamilton from McLaren to Mercedes.

However, BBC F1 pundit Jordan took it a bit further by revealing that team boss Brawn and chief executive officer Nick Fry - the two men who saved the squad when Honda withdrew from the sport after the 2008 season - are set to be replaced.

"Paddy Lowe is going to Mercedes and it would appear that Brawn and Fry are on their way out, and Lowe will be there in a very senior capacity," Jordan is quoted as saying by BBC Sport.

Looks like Mexico is getting closer:

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-mexico-has-plans-ready-ror-2014-series-return/

Mexico is planning to be on next year's F1 calendar.

Jose Abed, Mexico's representative at F1's governing FIA, has been quoted as saying the venue for the 2014 race will be the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, in Mexico City.

The track last hosted F1 in 1992, but Bernie Ecclestone has said it is not suitable for modern Grands Prix unless a major upgrade is done.

Abed is quoted by AS newspaper: "We have plans ready to improve the (circuit) and, after they finish the adjustments, we return to Formula One in 2014."

Force India denying they're done...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-force-india-hits-back-at-formula-one-crisis-reports/

Force India has hit back at claims co-owner Vijay Mallya's reported financial problems could sink the Silverstone-based team.

Citing sources, the Italiaracing magazine had said former Indian billionaire Mallya's "severe economic difficulties" meant Bernie Ecclestone has "activated a plan to save the team."

The report mentioned the possibility of a return to F1 for Colin Kolles, or even Flavio Briatore.

Late on Friday, Force India hit back at the claims, insisting they are "part of a growing trend of irresponsible online journalism directed at the team."

IMO, where there's smoke....

Last but not certainly at the least....

17294.jpg

This is going to take some getting used to.

baltimoreravens.png

Lotus E21 has been launched; here's the Sky Sports (lacklustre) coverage.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lrgptv?v=P6nHwtmQ3DU

(sorry can't figure out how to embed)

and Autosport is reporting that Bernie has ended negotiations with the Nurburgring, meaning unless Hockenhiem agree to terms to host the race there will only be 18 races in F1 this year.

523121_10151222931382060_81562744_n.jpg

I don't like how much red there is, but it's not bad

That Nose.... I'd wish it would go away, I hate it so much. I am curious though, is Kimi a sponsor now or is this a new way to identify who's the driver?

Edit:

I guess its for show, but on another pic its got Roman's name on the car as well, also....

http://jalopnik.com/...-steering-wheel

original.jpg

^_^ Kimi's Steering wheel

baltimoreravens.png

Archived