2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

I understand the argument about the vast majority of NHL teams having logos that in some way represent their name...but I wish there were more that didn't. I love ambiguity in logos and I think Columbus (again, while I don't think it's the best logo in the league) do this nicely. It gives their identity and extra layer or interest.

I once had some friends who were in a band and they called themselves the Violet Flames. When it cam time to design their first album cover, the bassist was in charge and he came up with a bunch that looked great but none of them had any violet in them whatsoever. I questioned him on this and he said it was more classy, and thought provoking if they didnt have violet on the cover. It makes people wonder what exactly the name means rather than spell it out for them. I've always remembered that and I totally agree.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I once had some friends who were in a band and they called themselves the Violet Flames. When it cam time to design their first album cover, the bassist was in charge and he came up with a bunch that looked great but none of them had any violet in them whatsoever. I questioned him on this and he said it was more classy, and thought provoking if they didnt have violet on the cover.

He just wanted people to skim the cover and think they were the Violent Femmes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I once had some friends who were in a band and they called themselves the Violet Flames. When it cam time to design their first album cover, the bassist was in charge and he came up with a bunch that looked great but none of them had any violet in them whatsoever. I questioned him on this and he said it was more classy, and thought provoking if they didnt have violet on the cover.

He just wanted people to skim the cover and think they were the Violent Femmes.

Yeah I know....I didn't pick the name lol

A fun project along the lines of the NHL minimalist logos would to design simple Literal Logos for each team...IE Blackhawks would feature a black Hawk, Blue Jackets would feature a blue Jacket, Canadiens would feature a friendly looking guy eating Tim Hortons :D , etc.

70389454.png

A fun project along the lines of the NHL minimalist logos would to design simple Literal Logos for each team...IE Blackhawks would feature a black Hawk, Blue Jackets would feature a blue Jacket, Canadiens would feature a friendly looking guy eating Tim Hortons :D , etc.

I was thinkin this for the canadiens logo lol

candienssplogo.png

I was thinkin this for the canadiens logo lol

candienssplogo.png

Then make it green / blue, add a beard and toque on him and you have the Canucks logo

70389454.png

my only complaint with the logo is that it has absolutely nothing at all to do with the name blue jackets.

i like when they look civil-war-like. the star wrapped in an ohio flag just looks like a logo for the state capital (which columbus IS... granted), but it has nothing at all to do with the name blue jackets. at least the cannon logo does. as does the cap logo.

it's not a BAD logo... i just wish it was better. it's boring. would be great for a team called the ohio stars. or the columbus capitals.

venf9fmhgnsawnxxvehf.gifllrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.gif2xd2efir5fdew26px6kx.gif161.gif144.gif124.gif

Also do not directly represent their name..And if some of these didn't date back 50+ years they would also be called "boring".

How is a P with a wing not representative of a team called the "Philadelphia Flyers?"

Are they the Flyers or P Wings? Seems dumb, but without knowledge of the Flyers existance, I don't think the team name is obvious from looking at a P with wings. Though I'll admit I debated whether to put that one on there.

I get the idea behind the Flying P logo, but it actually took me 18 years to realize that's actually a P

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Emm ell bee (kiddie speak): 9 or 10 depending on who's counting

NFL: 8 or 9 depending on who's counting

NBA: 8 or 9 depending on who's counting

NHL: 6 by my count

Side note, but why does it bother some people so much when you refer to MLB by the letters? No one seems to care about "ennn H ell" or "enn bee ay", but MLB is kiddie speak. Not picking on you, but I've seen that mentioned (specifically here) a ton of times.

Otherwise, I do agree with your comment as a whole.

Side note, but why does it bother some people so much when you refer to MLB by the letters? No one seems to care about "ennn H ell" or "enn bee ay", but MLB is kiddie speak. Not picking on you, but I've seen that mentioned (specifically here) a ton of times.

Otherwise, I do agree with your comment as a whole.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I did that because an old curmudgeon of a poster started a thread to voice his displeasure at the growing use of the letters MLB and used the term "kiddie speak" to describe it. I like to write out emmellbee whenever possible because I think it's such a silly thing to get crabby over.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Logos don't need to specifically reference the team nickname in order to be an effective logo

By sport here's how many don't specifically hint to the team name in each sport:

It's not a prerequisite by any means.

Wow, I truly didn't realize this until now...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

What's wrong with this picture?

303097_10151575019335996_268661032_n.jpg

The fact that the logos are shown in alphabetical order, but every 6th and 7th logo is shifted to the row above it.

Avalanche Blackhawks Blue Jackets Blues Bruins Canucks Capitals Devils Ducks Flames Flyers Hurricanes Islanders Jets Lightning Leafs Oilers Panthers Penguins Redwings Senators Kanadiens? Kings Koyotes? Predators Rangers Sabres Sharks Stars Wild

Why the hell did they use Impact? It looks like a crappy meme.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I hope to god those don't become Vancouver's full time third's. Why they haven't made the current third the primary with a matching white is beyond me... That is one of the best looking jerseys in recent memory

It's not one of the best jerseys in recent memory. It's a good jersey but the logo should be bigger on the chest and those stupid ugly obligatory shoulder patch logos should die. And I have never loved the collar. I do like the stripping pattern though, more than the home jersey.

Archived