ksupilot

2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

6,742 posts in this topic

Maybe, but they also use laurels and have gold in their color scheme.

There are a lot of vague name/logo connections in the NHL. What does a wheel have to do with bruins? And then there's the Canucks...

It's a stretch, but just about works. If they used more gold and a more serious logo, they'd look great.

The old black and gold laurel jersey with the current 2d senator would be fantastic.

I also like their retro stuff, but gold with black and red looks great and distinguishing.

There are a lot of vague name/logo connections in the NHL. What does a wheel have to do with bruins? And then there's the Canucks...

I think you mean the Red Wings. And at least you can actually see wheels and orcas in their respective cities. There aren't that many Roman centurions walking through the Byward Market.

I think you mean the Red Wings. And at least you can actually see wheels and orcas in their respective cities. There aren't that many Roman centurions walking through the Byward Market.

Well what does a spoked "B" have to do with a bear? The Red Wings logo is a winged tire, tire is on a car, Detroit made cars, and the wings are red

The Bruin's spoke/B logo is a reference to Boston's nickname as the "hub of the universe." Like the New York Giants' logo it's one that emphasizes the city, not the team name. The alternate logos tie it all back to the Bruins moniker. The Canucks' orca logo is a holdover from the period when they were owned by a company called Orca Bay. The logo was a bad attempt to tie the team's identity into that of their corporate owners. It's time that changed too.

The Roman connection doesn't work for the same reason the name is troubling in the first place. Roman Senators, like Canadian Senators, were middle-aged to old guys who weren't in the best of shape. It's not a strong name for a sports team. The =O= logo works the same way the Bruins' hub/B works in that it emphasizes the city (which is probably the best you can hope for with a name like Senators). The Peace Tower logo is probably as good as you're going to get to actually representing the name of the team in an acceptable manner, as it depicts the main feature of the building where Canada's Senate meets.

The Roman theme, though, is all over the place. The connection ties in with the Roman Senate, but the logo's a centurion, not a Senator. Their mascot is a lion, obviously meant to symbolize the lions of the Colosseum. Despite the Roman Senate having very little to do with that. And the mascot is named Spartacat, an obvious play on Spartacus. Thing is Spartacus was a slave who led a rebellion against the Roman government, ie the Roman Senate. So having a mascot named after him for a team that's drawing on the Roman Senate connection is flimsy. It's like they saw the "Senators/Rome" connection and just decided to use a grab-bag of Roman imagery for the various parts of their identity with little to no care for how they relate to each other.

Honestly, to "fix" the Senators all they need to do is:

- use the heritage jersey templates

- replace the vintage white with actual white

- move the O logo back to the shoulder

- pop the primary logo (preferably the 2D one) onto the front (although I'm a little concerned about the gold clashing with the chest striping...I'd have to see it first). I just don't think the O is strong enough as a primary logo.

Maybe they could do up a new logo with Mike Duffy running away with bags of cash to tie the team in with the actual Senate. Frankly, as lame as the Roman imagery grab bag is, it's a whole lot better than honouring our actual senate.

But I don't think the Roman imagery will be going away any time soon. The only other real option is a cartoony 19th century era senator with the powdered wig or something, the =O= logo, or a script of some sort. I don't know that anything Peace Tower based could make an effective primary logo, just like I don't think the =O= is strong enough to be a primary. You might do something with a maple leaf morphing into the tower somehow but then we come back to the age old issue of slapping a maple leaf on anything Canadian...and the Leafs might take issue with it too.

EDIT: or maybe take the =O= logo or the stylized Peace Tower logo from the old black third and merge it with the shield motif from the heritage shoulder patch and slap that on the front of the heritage templates with actual white. You might even be able to mitigate my clashing concern by dropping the current primary inside the shield motif so the striping doesn't overwhelm it.

Gold, which has been used prominently since the teams inception in 1993, is the only thing that distinguishes the Senators from the other red, black and white teams in the league. Ditching it shows an extreme lack of foresight as far as establishing a brand is concerned. The teams merchandise would look no different than the Devils or the Hurricanes... The roman theme is a bit of stretch but it's necessary to create the bold, traditional yet wholly unique identity below. In my opinion the biggest mistake the team ever made was moving away from their inaugural look. A Times New Roman "O" on two stripes doesn't say "Ottawa" to me, it says "lazy design."

rj49.jpg

I don't really care that it's a centurion, when I first saw the Ottawa Senators' logo, I thought "ohh, like the Roman Senate. Clever." The original logo was great, the lost update is even better, and the black-gold-red looks, again, "distinguished." It works, or at least it can with better direction.

1 person likes this

Meh, I've grown tired of the whole Roman schtick. I'm glad that they're going in a direction that feels more "Ottawa-esque" at this point. I would gladly welcome the 2 heritage jerseys as the new home & aways were they to do away with the vintage white & shoelaces on the collar.

EDIT: SCORES! ZIBANEJAD!!

The Bruins logo is a wheel with 8 spokes and a B in the middle, right?

Also Ottawa could easily make a gold third jersey (they won't, but it would be awesome.)

With all the jersey fun we've had in the past 24 hours, forgot to mention that Dallas wore their whites at home again... Ducks in their 3rds:

frozen112613_960_std.jpg

Gold, which has been used prominently since the teams inception in 1993, is the only thing that distinguishes the Senators from the other red, black and white teams in the league. Ditching it shows an extreme lack of foresight as far as establishing a brand is concerned. The teams merchandise would look no different than the Devils or the Hurricanes... The roman theme is a bit of stretch but it's necessary to create the bold, traditional yet wholly unique identity below. In my opinion the biggest mistake the team ever made was moving away from their inaugural look. A Times New Roman "O" on two stripes doesn't say "Ottawa" to me, it says "lazy design."

rj49.jpg

Very much agree on the use of the gold, so why can't the "O" be in that color on the new jerseys? I think that would be the ultimate : It goes with the classic design and colors and yet uses the gold to both tie in to the modern incarnation of the Sens and differentiate them from Carolina/Devils etc.

Does anyone know if the Devils are continuing their tradition of wearing the heritage jersey for St. Patty's day in 2014?

They didn't wear it last season. So,except if it was because of the lockout, they're done wearing it i guess (wich is a bad thing imo)

Not in love with the nameplate on the back either.

JT_Jersey_Gallery_05_500x325_slide.jpg

I hate how the arm numbers and back numbers are different. Go with stretched out or condensed, not both.

Very much agree on the use of the gold, so why can't the "O" be in that color on the new jerseys? I think that would be the ultimate : It goes with the classic design and colors and yet uses the gold to both tie in to the modern incarnation of the Sens and differentiate them from Carolina/Devils etc.

You know, I wouldn't go with a gold O...but maybe if we stick slightly with the Roman theme you could do something with the shield and gold laurel leaves wrapping the O or something...

You know, I wouldn't go with a gold O...but maybe if we stick slightly with the Roman theme you could do something with the shield and gold laurel leaves wrapping the O or something...

Good idea ! I'd love to see a mock of that ... See, this is how uniform collaboration should work.....RBK!

Does anyone know if the Devils are continuing their tradition of wearing the heritage jersey for St. Patty's day in 2014?

They didn't wear it last season. So,except if it was because of the lockout, they're done wearing it i guess (wich is a bad thing imo)

Previous poster says they will return. :)

Sabres President Ted Black got involved with the interactive video the team put out to simulate being called up to the Sabres and to order his customized third jersey. Great job TB!

http://sabres.c1ms.com/2014/

1476652_10152032632542044_895099496_n.jp

This... is flippin halarious! I can't stop laughing at it.

Is it me or does anyone else think the teams involved in the Heritage classic are getting lazy? THe first one, the Habs really didn't do much to their jersey and the Oilers went back to their original jersey. The second one in Calgary, only the Flames did something while the Habs just changed their number fontdifferent and now for this one, Vancouver is already using an existing jersey they wore last season and Ottaw is just doing an old colour switch-a-roo. Seems to me there is not a whole lot of creativity these days when it comes to the Heritage Classic.

Is it me or does anyone else think the teams involved in the Heritage classic are getting lazy? THe first one, the Habs really didn't do much to their jersey and the Oilers went back to their original jersey. The second one in Calgary, only the Flames did something while the Habs just changed their number fontdifferent and now for this one, Vancouver is already using an existing jersey they wore last season and Ottaw is just doing an old colour switch-a-roo. Seems to me there is not a whole lot of creativity these days when it comes to the Heritage Classic.

1467316_10152214618386055_425491157_n.jp

Looks good regardless...

1 person likes this

It may be laziness but when the jersey in question looks good, there's no reason to put in the effort to create a new one. With few variations, the Canadiens have been wearing the same jersey since the NHL began play. Why fix what isn't broken?

1474404_10152002827384477_1701282218_n.j

Looks like Vancouver is gonna stick with the milionaires uniform, wich was pretty obvious. I would've loved to see the Pavel Bure-era uniforms tough

I only hope that when it's Winnipeg's time to host the HC, they go with a WHA match up, 1972 Jets v Minnesota Fighting Saints. Or bring in Carolina and go for the classic Jets/Whalers matchup. Those were always barnburners.

This game is gonna feature a lot of vintage white. The Sens' jersey and socks against the Canucks pants, jersey stripes, names and numbers. They haven't shown it yet but I'm going to assume that Ottawa will wear black helmets.

As per Icethetics. The Toronto Marlies Winter Classic jersey was leaked on RealSports before taken down

BaIOMhlCAAAEMu4.jpg

Looks like Vancouver is gonna stick with the milionaires uniform, wich was pretty obvious. I would've loved to see the Pavel Bure-era uniforms tough

What a bore...

Especially considering the other options each team has in their varied histories.

Considering what the ownership did with their '94 Cup run banner, I doubt we'll ever see those hit the ice in any form, anytime soon.