2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

The one thing I noticed was the stripes on the socks. The WC socks had six white stripes rather than the usual nine. I guess they felt it was a bit too overboard with the stripes from the jersey and decided to matched the hem stripes.

I did not notice that at all, good eye!

I think those socks would be much better with their regular home/away set too.

Yep, Maple Leaf Logic

Usually the Leafs have three sets of stripes on the socks, and their jerseys have two stripes.

In the Winter Classic, they have all sorts of stripes on the jersey, and only two sets of stripes on the socks.

Maple Leaf Logic.

Seriously, the brown leather pads are the best part of an otherwise perfect-looking game. I wish the Refs wore vintage sweaters, that's the only thing that could be even slightly better. It's beautiful.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torml31-32.jpg

Why did they forgo historical accuracy? This actually bothers me a lot. (Yeah, yeah, I know - whining about a sock stripe is possibly the absolute CCSLCest thing to do, but so be it.)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Torml31-32.jpg

Why did they forgo historical accuracy? This actually bothers me a lot. (Yeah, yeah, I know - whining about a sock stripe is possibly the absolute CCSLCest thing to do, but so be it.)

I found it strange that they even bothered to change socks. If they wear the 9-stripe usually, and they're correct, why change?

That photo is very interesting. I figured the original sweaters had shoulder STRIPES like players 18 and 19, rather than shoulder yokes like they wore in the Classic. But, look at players 1, 2, and 5, they seem to match that jersey.

I'm just glad they changed the numbers, as visible on player 15. That would have been illegible at distance. Sometimes throwbacks are made better with simple changes.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Hold up, did that poster use Kabel before the Maple Leafs did?

So maybe that horrible font was a throwback to an obscure poster?

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Hold up, did that poster use Kabel before the Maple Leafs did?

So maybe that horrible font was a throwback to an obscure poster?
Certain (read: lighter) weights of Kabel look perfectly fine and make an attractive, slightly ornate alternative to Futura. In fact, I learned last night, looking it up, that it was created in 1927 and thus has kind of the same Art Deco heritage as Futura, also 1927. And here I thought it was a dopey '70s font. Unfortunately, the ultra-bold/black weight the Leafs use is chunky and gross.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can live with it on the crest, but when they went all crazy and put it on the NOBs and numbers, that was too much (Bonus: they came with completely unnecessary double-outlines). They've toned it down since, but it still survives on the ACC aisle numbers and the Cup/player banners.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

NBCSN is using black instead of purple for the Kings scorebug for the first time tonight:

moYEku6.png

For comparison:

M3D1som.png

EDIT: NBCSN also previously zoomed in on the crown part of the logo. Now they center on the LA, so the scorebug reads as LA LA.

8xgiUEK.png

Even though purple isn't a part of the Kings colors anymore, I'm going to miss this scoring-bug designation NBC gave to them. At least there was a flare of color when indicating something involving LA, although I'm interested into how NBC will integrate black onto the Kings graphic pieces.

stars vs islanders tonight on long island, very colorful game, looks great

NBCSN is using black instead of purple for the Kings scorebug for the first time tonight:

moYEku6.png

For comparison:

M3D1som.png

EDIT: NBCSN also previously zoomed in on the crown part of the logo. Now they center on the LA, so the scorebug reads as LA LA.

8xgiUEK.png

Even though purple isn't a part of the Kings colors anymore, I'm going to miss this scoring-bug designation NBC gave to them. At least there was a flare of color when indicating something involving LA, although I'm interested into how NBC will integrate black onto the Kings graphic pieces.

That Stars/Islanders game was an amazing looking game. The Stars did a great job with their road jersey. I hope the Kings at least keep the purple in their identity. I hope they keep the throwback jersey. Even if they make the Stadium Series jersey the third, I hope they can continue wearing the throwback during their Legend's Nights.

It seems like the Canadiens did make a very small uniform change. They changed the font of the helmet stickers to a block font instead of the rounded numbers that match the nameplates on the jerseys.

Before:

hkn_lightning_canadiens_hockey_20130418.

After:

1297510491393_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

A small change but an improvement nonetheless.

I was watching Slap Shot last night and realised that the Syracuse Bulldogs had the very same uniform template than the Flyers,but had a orange stripe on their pants as you can see TimMcCracken.jpg

Am i the only one who thinks that the Flyers should adopt a stripe?

Yo do know their inspiration was the Beauce Jaros?

Quick out of topic, sorry ;-)

More info and the logo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauce_Jaros

It seems like the Canadiens did make a very small uniform change. They changed the font of the helmet stickers to a block font instead of the rounded numbers that match the nameplates on the jerseys.

Before:

After:

Is MTL the only team who changed their helmet numbers?

I am not sure.

Before:

After:

I'm not so sure it wasn't just the first number set was borne out of quick compliance to the new NHL rule the season it took effect.- and now they've had time to order team-specific numbers instead of running down to the nearest hockey shop and buying all the helmet numbers they had in stock.

5amlwx.jpg

Before:

After:

I'm not so sure it wasn't just the first number set was borne out of quick compliance to the new NHL rule the season it took effect.- and now they've had time to order team-specific numbers instead of running down to the nearest hockey shop and buying all the helmet numbers they had in stock.

That doesn't make sense,,, they already had stickers on the back and from what i can tell team just put the same sticker on the front.. So they would have had the inventory anyways.

Archived