The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

God damn it Winnipeg every time you absolutely have to win a game you completely kick it against a team that sucks. Stop that. Carolina is trying so hard to give you that crappy division. Take it.

I'm less interested in an Iginla trade now that I know he only wants to go to Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, or VANCOUVER. Just stay home if that's the case.

What the hell could Vancouver trade us? Their prospect pool is emptier than ours. I guess they could give us one green man, but just like the Sedin's, separating them would cause them to be irrelevant and awful.

Is Vancouver nearing a Flames/Sharks sort of day of reckoning? I figured they were always in good shape.

They'll be with us in 3 years I take it. Granted they've at least been of cup level for a while now, but as you've seen this year, the cracks are starting to show. Kesler is always injured and even when healthy isn't nearly his one great year self. They traded their one prospect of note for more "grit", which they thought they needed.

Sure, they may have established themselves like a Toronto/Montreal type destination for free agents, but just ask Calgary and San Jose how that works out. Mike Gillis has supposedly made calls to every team asking for a third line center, he's showing how desperate that team is getting. He and ole AV are on the hot seat.

Oh please, they might be mediocre but they won't be any where near the Flames. The Sedins aren't going anywhere and that will alone keep the team competitive. Kesler has had some bad luck lately but is still better than any forward on the Flames. The prospect pool is pretty weak but Kassian will figure it out eventually and their last two first rounders look solid. The eventual Luongo trade will hopefully bring back a decent prospect too. Not being Calgary will also help in attracting free agents to keep the team competive.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happens in three years after three first round exits or three years of no Cup?

Right now. You can't sit here and tell me that they're nearly good enough to win a Stanley Cup.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I said in my first post that they'll be mediocre but they won't be :censored:ing Calgary. Their core is all locked up and whether its Luongo or Schnieder they'll have a franchise goalie.

I believe they can win a cup if they get the Kesler from 2010 back. A third line center would be nice too.

I said in my first post that they'll be mediocre but they won't be :censored:ing Calgary. Their core is all locked up and whether its Luongo or Schnieder they'll have a franchise goalie.

I believe they can win a cup if they get the Kesler from 2010 back. A third line center would be nice too.

Haha! Luongo's been as inconsistent as ever and Schnieder's proven he's not starting material.

Haha! Luongo's been as inconsistent as ever and Schnieder's proven he's not starting material.

They were both two of best goalies earlier in the season and Schnieders been solid over the last few games. Luongos been a franchise goalie for over 10 years, a couples bad games doesn't mean he loses that status.

Is it too early to say that Rick Nash is just a black hole of hockey?

Hmmm... Columbus has Nash for some years, they don't win. What could be the problem?

Carter: Cup finals, 40 goal scorer in Philly, yeah, let's bring him in.

Lol, nope

Carter Leaves for Kings, They win cup

Nash leaves, Columbus goes on a mid-season tear and is looking in at a playoff spot.

Meanwhile Glen Sather is trying to appeal the Blue Jackets case of "No trades-backsies"

I mean, the problem was just under their noses the entire time...

Or maybe Foligno helped #overconfidentSensfan

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

oh, and on NHL.com's showing of Latendresse's goal today, did anybody else see a Lightning fan get up and cheer when they showed the upper level?

fanlightwrong.png

Shortly after you can see him begin to weep silently

Edit: Girl on right: "We scored? Naw son, I'm eating Pie"

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Meanwhile Glen Sather is trying to appeal the Blue Jackets case of "No trades-backsies"

Wow, Glen Sather. Hadn't heard that name in a while; I went to Wikipedia because I couldn't believe he was still the Rangers' GM. Anybody else remember when he first went to New York and there was such a frenzy about how he was a genius in Edmonton but he just didn't have the money to build a team? And how he was gonna dominate with his brains and the Rangers' money? Hasn't quite worked out...

Is it too early to say that Rick Nash is just a black hole of hockey?

So is this going to be considered a hockey application of the "Ewing Theory?"

Not really. Injuries to players mean everyone else has to step up. Columbus actually got players (and a pick) in exchange for Rick Nash.

Besides, Jordan or no Jordan, the Ewing Knicks did get to the Finals in 1994 and were one game (and two chances) away from the championship. It's not really a fair comp. at all.

Wow, Glen Sather. Hadn't heard that name in a while; I went to Wikipedia because I couldn't believe he was still the Rangers' GM. Anybody else remember when he first went to New York and there was such a frenzy about how he was a genius in Edmonton but he just didn't have the money to build a team? And how he was gonna dominate with his brains and the Rangers' money? Hasn't quite worked out...

image.jpg

spacer.png

I equate the "Glen Sather is a genius" praise with the "Phil Jackson is the greatest coach in NBA history" praise. Yeah, it's easy to succeed when your players are far and away the best.

That's apples to oranges. Managing to balance the enormous egos of Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, and later Shaq and Kobe is not exactly a task anyone could just "do". Even Jackson was exasperated by it come June of 2004.

Regarding Glen Sather, I like to think that he just went senile once he became the Rangers GM. In the early 00's, that organization was the NHL equivalent to the Dan Snyder Redskins, throwing money at marquee players everywhere, and not getting results out of it. Even since the lockout, the Rangers have only had one season where they weren't merely an "above average: but actually a legitimately strong team, and that was last year.

spacer.png

And they were a damn fine team last year and that's the excuse we're going for

But probably not as good as their record indicated.

I don't know. I read Bill Simmons mammoth piece on the Ewing Theory on Grantland just earlier this week. I read all his examples of possible application. This one doesn't pass the snuff test for me.

spacer.png

God I can't bear the thought of Simmons crowing about Ewing Theory if the Jackets make the playoffs. It's Rick Nash. It's more like Michael Olowokandi Theory.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived