The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's not entirely his fault. But it seems like every damned defenceman and goaltender that is brought in seems to regress massively upon setting foot in Tampa. I can't think that's all a coincidence, that Stevie Y. is making dumb decision after dumb decision. This guy was the captain of a great organization for two decades and then spent five years in their front office upon retirement. The guy isn't stupid, and I tend to side with him more than I do with Mr. Boucher in this case.

Maybe this organization is snakebitten at the moment?

I haven't been following the Bolts all that closely, and I could be completely wrong here; however, I'm under the impression that the Bolts were in the "win now" mode after being one game away from the Stanley Cup Final in 2011. It's pretty clear to me that they haven't gotten the production from their Defensemen or Goalies this year. Yzerman is responsible for signing or extending the contracts of the following defensemen: Salo, Carle, extending Hedman, and Brewer. In addition, he acquired Lindback from the Predators to compete for the No. 1 job. His stats have been pretty good, when healthy, but that's only a small sampling of his potential, especially from his time with the Preds. Then again, Yzerman's backup plan was Garon and that's never really a great Plan B or C option.

If the Bolts continue to fail, then hopefully Yzerman will be able to assess what commodities are available at the trade deadline in order to salvage their season at this point. Who knows, the right trade could kickstart this team and make a run for the #8 seed in the East (or even the #3 Seed - thanks SouthLeast!); however, similar to the Caps, I don't expect them to make the playoffs.

I wouldn't classify them as a Win Now organization, because that 2011 playoff run was smoke and mirrors, and any Lightning fan knew that while it was happening (and it was fun, no doubt about it, but that team was not the third best team in the NHL, as the playoff record would now show). You got to see that first hand with the Conference Semifinal series where the Lightning got a good bounce of the puck in the first three games, which all resulted in goals (which were crucial, given that all three of those games were essentially one goal decisions). They managed to hang with the Bruins because the power play was unreal in that series (and a big reason why they lost Game 7 - no penalties were issued that night).

After the ownership of Koules & Barrie, the organization was a mess. Terrible contracts all over the place, resulting in unmoveable commodities, and the farm system was pretty much barren. If the Lightning suffered an injury to an impact player, they had no capable replacements in Norfolk (and, no, Paul Szchezuzuzuzuz or whatever his name was, was not adequate). In that respect, Steve Yzerman has done a very good job with the organization, with his drafting and his plucking of undrafted free agents. This includes guys like Cory Conacher and Tyler Johnson, who have done more-than-adequate jobs with the parent club. He has been charged with a very difficult task of trying to get this organization back in the right direction after the mess it was left in, and, truthfully, I don't think he's done all that bad a job.

Guy Boucher, on the other hand, has pretty clearly started to lose the team. First of all, goaltending coach Frantz Jean has been pretty widely maligned by the fanbase and even by former goaltenders alike (Roloson himself said he quit paying attention to the advice he was given, and performed better afterwards for it). As I've said before, Daniel Ellis and Mike Smith have both seen drastic improvements in their production since leaving Tampa. Yzerman brings in two well regarded D's in Sami Salo and Matt Carle to help improve a leaky 2011-12 unit (which I do fault a bit more on him; doesn't take a genius to know that Bruno Gervais and Matt Gilroy effin' suck). The end result? A unit that is STILL as leaky this season as it was last season. That's not on Yzerman this time; that's a system failure.

I think Boucher can be a fine coach in his next stint in the NHL. He'll learn plenty from this experience with the Lightning. But I definitely think the time has come for a change, and I welcome it. That said, it's way too late to rescue a #8 seed this season (or a #3). 13-18 on the season, losers in 17 of 24. I don't see it happening.

spacer.png

Brendan Morrow had been traded to Pittsburgh for Joe Morrow.

Provided that Brendan Morrow waives his NTC.

TSN is now reporting that it is not a done deal and that Boston is now in the mix.

TSN now officially confirms Morrow to Pittsburgh. I guess this means Iginla to Boston?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Yikes, retirement has not been kind to Lindros. Also, way to break out the replicas for the charity game.

577562_634742529875419_1820492994_n.png

It could be worse. He could be a vegetable.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yikes, retirement has not been kind to Lindros. Also, way to break out the replicas for the charity game.

577562_634742529875419_1820492994_n.png

It could be worse. He could be a vegetable.

He could've eaten some vegetables, too.

...not that I have room to talk.

He looks like a goalie.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Like I said...the Rangers suck...

Made me think of this.

Fun fact: the clown in the gold wig was recently arrested for groping a woman in the Coliseum parking lot. I know that's shocking.

Archived