• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, next year. Unfortunately, the ridiculous summer break's going to keep me from buying season tickets as I'll only be back from college for around 1/3 of the matches. Taking your break smack dab in the middle of the prime time for ticket selling is ridiculous—who's going to want to go to a soccer match in October in Edmonton, Minnesota, Ottawa, or Indy when they can go to one in July instead?

6fQjS3M.png

So NYC2 is the next team to join MLS...and they might be owned by ManCity?...Well, that's a bit of a twist.

Warning, rehashing recurring joke about NYC2:

If true, then it would be nice to finally have a club in and representing the city.

/Runs and hides.

There are some quotes by Arthur Blank going around the internet today about him wanting to bring an MLS team to Atlanta. There's an article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle but I can't read the whole thing. There have been rumors about him wanting to bring a club to the city before. I would be absolutely thrilled.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

So NYC2 is the next team to join MLS...and they might be owned by ManCity?...Well, that's a bit of a twist.

If true, then it would be nice to finally have a club in and representing the city.

/Runs and hides.

I'm disappointed that the Cosmos have chosen to build in Nassau County, but at least they represent the city.

/Runs and hides.

I'm disappointed that the Cosmos have chosen to build in Nassau County, but at least they represent the city.

To be honest, I'm so far removed from NY that I can't remember what other sites are available in which MLS could place another club within the city.

So NYC2 is the next team to join MLS...and they might be owned by ManCity?...Well, that's a bit of a twist. Announcement due next month according to Garber.

If this happens I could be down for supporting Man City.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

942397_10200777627698806_1481434927_n.jpg

Yes I mean it is truly a mystery why New Yorkers would not support a team all the way in New Jersey named after an energy drink....

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

"All the way in New Jersey"

I know Gothamite will correct me, citing how they're marketed and such (and those are valid points)... but "all the way" in New Jersey? Manhattan to Harrison is less distance, according to Google Maps, than it is from my place in Minneapolis to where MN United plays in the north suburbs. There aren't border controls between NY and NJ, right?

New Yorkers are such dainty beings.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

You rang?

It's not about them playing in New Jersey. We support the Giants and Jets, we supported the Cosmos there as well.

It's about the [insert Corporate Name Here]s not caring one whit about the city. They marketed in New Jersey, but not in the city. They didn't have outreach in the city, nor did they respond to inquires from youth soccer teams for events. They had no involvement in the adult amateur scene. All of which the Cosmos did immediately when the new owners bought the team from Pinton in 2010.

In fact, I'd say that the Cosmos did more to foster the city's soccer culture in their first six months back than the MLS club did since 1994. Fair enough, their choice. But that means most NYC soccer fans don't seem to have much interest in them. I coach kids' soccer in Brooklyn, and I spend a fair amount of time in the neighborhood parks and pitches. I see tons of foreign football shirts, but I also see Chicago Fire, LA Galaxy, Philadelphia Union, Portland Timbers and New England Revolution being represented. I also see a fair number of Cosmos shirts, but I can't remember the last time I saw a Red Bulls shirt or the black and red of the MetroStars.

This city loves soccer, but we haven't had a team interested in us since 1985. I really don't think distance has a thing to do with it, except emotional distance.

Archived