"All the way in New Jersey"

I know Gothamite will correct me, citing how they're marketed and such (and those are valid points)... but "all the way" in New Jersey? Manhattan to Harrison is less distance, according to Google Maps, than it is from my place in Minneapolis to where MN United plays in the north suburbs. There aren't border controls between NY and NJ, right?

New Yorkers are such dainty beings.

You are ignoring traffic (big factor) and tolls (which are not only between NY and NJ for me). Comparing travel in in a large urban setting to a suburban setting are two different animals entirely. It could take much more time to drive through Manhattan than it would for most other place.

Also most New Yorkers do not live in Manhattan just FYI. Queens and Brooklyn are about 50% of the population.

As for the rest about RBNY I will reference Gothamite's post (except I disagree on the Giants - Jets point since football is a ling established sport in American culture unlike soccer). I will also add that can you really expect a team named after a corporation to garner much support. The very concept seems so cold and hollow to anyone looking to be a passionate soccer fan.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I understand the rest of it. It's just the "it's soooo far to Jersey" thing that makes me roll my eyes.

I live farther out than NYC so the prospect of paying multiple tolls and drudging through traffic in the time it would take you to get back and forth from Blaine with time to spare is what drives my perspective on that.

So does a team have to be named the Cosmos for it to be supported?

No. But it would help. :)

Seriously, I think any MLS team in Queens will be well-supported. The MetroStars' mistake was in thinking that they could show up, flip a middle finger across the Hudson and New Yorkers would still flock to the Meadowlands because they put "NY" initials in its name.

But MLS is in a very different position than it was back then, and they've learned from that mistake.

The MLS may seize ownership Chivas USAaccording to this article and ESPN Deportes

http://www.thegoatparade.com/2013/5/8/4312952/report-mls-may-seize-chivas-usa-from-jorge-vergara

The MLS seems to be denying it but it is a bit fun to speculate on what would happen if Chivas was seized by the league.

Also this bit is interesting.

Suarez* also mentions that he has spoken with a sponsor who was evidently approached by Vergara or Chivas USA brass, asked for $1.5 million, with the express purpose of buying players with that money, then requiring said players to promote that company's products to the hilt. As Suarez explains, and it makes sense to me, this would essentially be a way to get sponsors to buy players without Vergara having to shell out of pocket, thereby reducing his investment burden. Again, this is just one report, but it certainly seems plausible, doesn't it?

*ESPN Deportes Reporter

... Carlos Slim (the world's richest man).

According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, as of this past Thursday, Carlos Slim is the world's second-richest man. The BBI says that Bill Gates once again holds the the "world's-richest man" distinction, with his $72.7 billion fortune edging past Slim's $72.1 billion. It marks the first time that Gates has held the title since 2007.

Telecommunications reforms passed by Mexico's federal legislature have led to a 14% drop in profitability for Slim's mobile phone operation, America Movil SAB. That's translated into a loss of more than $3 billion from Slim's net worth.

Meanwhile, Gates' financial fortunes have improved via a 28% surge in Microsoft shares, as well as a rally in stock holdings in companies including Canadian National Railway Company, Corbis Corporation, Four Seasons hotels, and Republic Services Incorporated.

All of that being said, Carlos Slim's $72.1 billion still trumps Jorge Vergara's $1.5 billion... in a BIG way.

#MoveEmToWinnipeg

I have to wonder if this could mark a potential move back to Miami or, more likely, Fort Lauderdale. Granted the Fusion tanked badly, but with a properly dedicated and funded owner and a decently engaged fanbase such as the one the Strikers enjoy, this could be the ticket.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

... Carlos Slim (the world's richest man).

According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, as of this past Thursday, Carlos Slim is the world's second-richest man. The BBI says that Bill Gates once again holds the the "world's-richest man" distinction, with his $72.7 billion fortune edging past Slim's $72.1 billion. It marks the first time that Gates has held the title since 2007.

Telecommunications reforms passed by Mexico's federal legislature have led to a 14% drop in profitability for Slim's mobile phone operation, America Movil SAB. That's translated into a loss of more than $3 billion from Slim's net worth.

Meanwhile, Gates' financial fortunes have improved via a 28% surge in Microsoft shares, as well as a rally in stock holdings in companies including Canadian National Railway Company, Corbis Corporation, Four Seasons hotels, and Republic Services Incorporated.

All of that being said, Carlos Slim's $72.1 billion still trumps Jorge Vergara's $1.5 billion... in a BIG way.

#MoveEmToWinnipeg

I have to wonder if this could mark a potential move back to Miami or, more likely, Fort Lauderdale. Granted the Fusion tanked badly, but with a properly dedicated and funded owner and a decently engaged fanbase such as the one the Rowdies enjoy, this could be the ticket.

http://www.thegoatparade.com/2013/5/17/4340814/the-latest-no-chivas-usa-sale-announcement-but-plenty-more-reports

Apparently according to a report in the Spanish press, that this article is citing, there are two major hiccups in the sale.

1) Vergara wants to sell for $600 million but Slim only wants to pay $400 million

2) Slim wants nothing to do with Chivas USA and doesn't want the team included in the sale.

This doesn't mean that Chivas USA is safe as a lack of a TV deal is grounds for the league to seize the team from Vergara.

For those keeping closer track, what's the verdict on the Chivas US experiment? Have they succeeded in any way in tapping into the Mexican fanbase in LA? Or is the whole thing an embarrassing kid-brother element to a league finally making real strides to establishing legitimacy?

I do know that the stands were covered behind one goal when I saw the Quakes played them last month on TV. I don't know if it's like that every game for Chivas.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

For those keeping closer track, what's the verdict on the Chivas US experiment? Have they succeeded in any way in tapping into the Mexican fanbase in LA? Or is the whole thing an embarrassing kid-brother element to a league finally making real strides to establishing legitimacy?

They have by far the lowest attendance in the MLS and have covered up certain sections of the stands that the Galaxy don't.

It's a massive failure as far as I'm concerned. Choosing to name the team after one of the giants of the Mexican league seems like a great way to pull in Latino fans... until you realize that you've just alienated 90+% of them because they hate Chivas. That's just the tip of the mismanagement iceberg when it comes to that club.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived