• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1599437/reports-david-beckham-set-mls-team-miami?cc=5901

David Beckham appears to have chosen Miami as the destination for his Major League Soccer franchise, according to widespread reports.

The reports suggest Beckham will "will pay a discounted rate of [$25 million] to start an MLS expansion team in Miami," yet a final agreement on the deal had yet to be ratified.

Beckham business partner Simon Fuller, the brainchild behind the hugely successful "American Idol" TV show, is believed to be heavily involved in the bid, but it seems as though the high-profile duo face competition to land the franchise.

Further reports suggest 12 major investors have expressed an interest in starting a new MLS side, yet Beckham is said to have an advantage over his rivals after he secured the right to purchase a cut-price franchise as part of his final Galaxy contract.

baltimoreravens.png

The organization stopped fielding teams. But the organization never went away.

When were the St. Louis Rams founded, under your logic? 1936, or 1944? They stopped playing and then resumed...

That's a real stretch. One that really isn't there.

It's like saying some random team, say the Arizona Diamondbacks for example, stop fielding a team, conduct baseball camps for 25 years, then come back for the 2039 MLB season. Even if they were the same legal entity, they wouldn't be the same team. I don't think anyone would insinuate the Diamondbacks would be the same team in that hypothetical, because it would be ridiculous

The Cosmos can't be the same team for those reasons.

On another note, is MLS really going to work in Miami? I'm not up to date on the matter.

So... What about the Rams?

What about them. I thought that was a rhetorical question because your following sentence ended with an ellipses. So my apologies for not answering.

They sat out a year, and for entirely different reasons as well.

It's not so much that they sat out, but the length of time. If the Cosmos had a team come back pretty soon, or immediately, you might have a claim to say there is some continuity between the two or that they are the same.

I'll reiterate my counter example with the Arizona Diamondbacks. If they stopped fielding a team, conducted baseball camps for 25 years, then came back, would you consider them the same team?

On another note, is MLS really going to work in Miami? I'm not up to date on the matter.

The league will make sure it works because Beckham's involved.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Jobing.com Pitch

Welcome to jobing.com Pitch in beautiful Sunshine, Florida, where

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I'll reiterate my counter example with the Arizona Diamondbacks. If they stopped fielding a team, conducted baseball camps for 25 years, then came back, would you consider them the same team?

Obviously, yes. If they were the same legal entity, the new players would have the right to celebrate their World title and wear patches bearing "Est. 1998".

Just as the Rams have the right to trace their lineage back to 1936, regardless of the gap in their operations.

The league can't guarantee anything. But they'll do everything they can to make sure it doesn't fail. The soccer diehards already have an NASL club, obviously some will jump to MLS but we'll see how many. If they can't take over the bulk of that fan base, I don't see how they survive (other than having more money, thanks to the deeply discounted expansion fee).

Florida's history with pro sports is hardly encouraging. We'll see what MLS can bring to the equation.

When were the St. Louis Rams founded, under your logic? 1936, or 1944? They stopped playing and then resumed...

They stopped playing for 1 season because of WW2 and returned to the same league. Way to use a apples to apples example.

The mentioned Diamondbacks example also needs the caveat that MLB is disbanded, then 15 years later a new baseball league starts with all new teams in different cities, and then 10 years later the Diamondbacks join a rival league that is named MLB but has no affiliation with the previous MLB and is labeled as "minor league" by most everyone.

The current league would have you believe they're the same as the old league.

Then again, the current league's twitter feed would make you believe there's only one team in the current league. (Cosmos*fap*Cosmos*fapfapfap*Cosmos*fapfapfapfapfapfapfap*)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

They stopped playing for 1 season because of WW2 and returned to the same league. Way to use a apples to apples example.

The mentioned Diamondbacks example also needs the caveat that MLB is disbanded, then 15 years later a new baseball league starts with all new teams in different cities, and then 10 years later the Diamondbacks join a rival league that is named MLB but has no affiliation with the previous MLB and is labeled as "minor league" by most everyone.

Yeah, and that's why I'm more inclined to say the Rams are the same compared to the Cosmos.

Reasons for taking time off were entirely different, the Rams came back to the same league, and they took one, compared to 25 years off.

And your expanding on my Diamondbacks hypothetical, makes the Cosmos' claim even more ridiculous.

I'm sure the NASL team will quickly fold, as competing with Beckham's folly will be suicidal.

Apparently Flight 19 has stated that they will stay with the Strikers and not follow MLS Miami. That should be somewhat encouraging for the Strikers, but you are probably going to be right in the end.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

There is a somewhat big cultural disconnect as I understand it, with FtL being a better source for a soccer fanbase... but this is MLS with Beckham involved. The Strikers' hopes of competing against that are quite slim.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'd like to get the pulse of other soccer supporters on this one:

The Fire are pretty shambolic, right?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived