• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that sucked. This team did so much to even get to the Soccer Bowl. Wish we could have finished the drill. I know the league got what they wanted, but still.

Hope you guys enjoyed the ribbons on the trophy cause I put them on there. :lol:

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

BTW I wish they could have worn those blue jerseys sometime during the season.

I don't know when the hell the Cosmos wore those. Private practices, maybe. But I never saw them at the stadium, not even in pre-game practices. They had simple white jerseys (no green trim, no NOB) for that.

Orlando's got a great fan-base of soccer, they deserve this. Florida finally getting another chance at an MLS Team! Next up, Tampa Bay or Miami.

For certain values of "great."

Hopefully Orlando decides to not establish ties with any existing band of thugs and hooligans "supporter group".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Orlando has always been a bit of a hidden gem, when it comes to being a sports market. The Magic always have good attendance in-spite of their record.

Miami is also clearly getting a team, but it has such a terrible track record of being a sports market.

3 Miami/Ft Lauderdale sports teams finished in the bottom 5 in attendance last year. Not to mention they already lost an MLS team.

Orlando has always been a bit of a hidden gem, when it comes to being a sports market. The Magic always have good attendance in-spite of their record.

Miami is also clearly getting a team, but it has such a terrible track record of being a sports market.

3 Miami/Ft Lauderdale sports teams finished in the bottom 5 in attendance last year. Not to mention they already lost an MLS team.

Orlando makes sense, Miami makes little sense other than Beckham wanting to spend time there. I'd personally like to see Minneapolis get a team along with Atlanta.

Orlando makes sense, Miami makes little sense other than Beckham wanting to spend time there. I'd personally like to see Minneapolis get a team along with Atlanta.

how does miami not make sense there is a big latino population there that would follow an MLS team if it was there

how does miami not make sense there is a big latino population there that would follow an MLS team if it was there

1. People said the same thing about the Marlins.

2. The MLS already failed in the Miami metro.

6fQjS3M.png

Well the worst kept secret is out, Orlando City will be team #21 for MLS in 2015.

Stream is up now if your curious

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/11/19/mlssoccercom-carry-live-coverage-orlando-city-sc-major-announcement-tuesday-

Also, it seems Lebron is interested in bringing Soccer to South Beach, could be a partner with Beckham

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1620345/miami-heat-lebron-james-talking-mls-franchise-david-beckham?cc=5901

baltimoreravens.png

1. People said the same thing about the Marlins.

2. The MLS already failed in the Miami metro.

Having the team in Ft. Lauderdale is a completely different ballgame when trying to draw fans. I've lived in Ft. Lauderdale before and I can tell you that no one is driving NORTH from Miami, they just aren't. People will drive SOUTH into Miami, but not the other way around. So if they are targeting Miami then you actually have to put the team there. Ft.L is a great city with a lot to do but its a whole other world as compared to Miami. I think its worth another try to put a team in LeBron's backyard...so long as its IN his backyard.

With Orlando entering MLS, this is continuing something I can't quite call a "trend", but maybe a "factor" or "observation" in regards to MLS team location.

We all know and have discussed ad infinitum how the NBA has a larger proportion (than do the NFL or MLB) of smaller markets, with only one team. To a lesser degree the NHL has a similar situation, primarily because of the presence of so many Canadian teams. So you've got smaller markets with only one team, and always it's a winter team (basketball or hockey).

Now, most of these markets (unlike Charlotte or Phoenix did) will probably never move up to field an MLB or NFL team, and due to the nature of the business and competition for small market dollars at the same time, will never get a major league team in their "other" winter sport as a second big-league team (That situation only happened once for a while, in Vancouver with the Canucks and Grizzlies, and did not end well).

But what I've been seeing is that these "one team" markets have been becoming very often the home to an MLS team as their "second team". Not sure why, maybe it has something to do with smaller capacity stadiums for soccer than NFL football, or less playing dates than MLB baseball, or not as much need for TV market size to come into play, or very little overlap of seasons. But it is happening:

Portland (Trailblazers and Timbers)

Columbus (Crew and Blue Jackets)

Utah (Jazz and Real Salt Lake)

San Jose (Sharks and Earthquakes)

Vancouver (Canucks and Whitecaps)

Montreal (Canadiens and Impact); and now

Orlando (Magic and City SC).

Now I know people may take a few "exceptions" here. The Crew preceded the Blue Jackets in Columbus; San Jose can be considered part of the Bay Area megalopolis and the Sharks and Earthquakes are their franchise representatives in those two sports; Montreal used to have an MLB team, etc. But still, it's an interesting situation.

Makes me think, are any of these other "winter pro sports markets" open for possible (maybe longer term) MLS expansion?:

Raleigh-Durham area (currently home to NASL Carolina RailHawks)

Edmonton (currently home to NASL FC Edmonton)

San Antonio (currently home to NASL San Antonio Scorpions)

Ottawa (home to NASL Ottawa Fury beginning next year)

Oklahoma City (OKC Energy to debut at USL pro level next year)

Sacramento (Sacramento Republic FC to debut at USLPro next year)

Memphis (was home to old NASL Rogues and MISL Americans)

Calgary (was home to Calgary Boomers of old NASL)

Winnipeg

It is what it is.

Oklahoma City (OKC Energy to debut at USL pro level next year)

Winnipeg

OKC will also have an NASL team in 2015 (...which prompted USLPro to move in and blah blah blah).

Winnipeg has a PDL team.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

There's that one sports map that we post once in a blue moon here that shows MLS as being the only pro sports league that Winnipeg could "afford" to go to. Now that the Jets are a going concern, that's obviously out of date, but I also think MLS is fine with the three Canadian teams they have.

The southeast is probably going to be the primary focus for MLS now, much like the PNW was when Seattle, Vancouver and Portland were welcomed. Winnipeg needs to prove it can get past its soccer woes by actually supporting WSA Winnipeg, then they can concern themselves with trying to move up to NASL (provided someone worth $20M US wants a team and is willing to put up with Sons of Italy and the various warring factions who want their sides represented above all others).

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived