Washington Redskins Rebranding Project

KyleMakesConcepts

What's going on everyone? Happy Friday! As you all probably know by now, the mayor of the city of Washington DC would like to the Washington Redskins to change their name, because he finds the name racist towards Indians (it's about time). Although the name has a lot of history to it, I think it would be good for Washington to change their name, one reason being because the name Redskins is a little racist, and another being because they are going into a new era under RGIII. I was planning on making a rebrand, but theres only one problem, I can't think of a name. I narrowed it down to a couple, those few being the Washington Minutemen, Washington Colonials, and Washington Generals. I am open to new names, though. I would like to do something along the lines of old military, though. I have decided on a color scheme, navy blue and gold. I have already created a player model, which is seen below. So, what do you guy's think? What do you think the name should be? What do you think about the uniform? Let me know. (Note: I left the word "Redskins" on the chest of the player model because I don't know the team name yet, I will replace it when the name is decided)robert-griffin-iiicopy_zpsf27240b1.jpg

One does not simply beat the Buffalo Sabres... oh wait.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks a lot more like you tried a re-design of the Jaguars than a new concept for the Redskins.

I'm all for letting us watch the progression of a design, but at least get an idea first.

Re design of the Jaguars? How? I'm working on a logo, jerseys are in place, the only thing I don't know about is a name. I like Generals, but I just want everyone else's opinion first.

I'm all for getting rid of the Redskins name once and for all, but if there's one thing about their identity that should NEVER change, it's their colors. In fact, a return to the true burgundy and old gold from the Sonny Jurgensen days seems in order.

As far as names:

-Washington Warriors (I believe this one is actually trademarked by the organization "just in case.")

-Washington Potomacs (can allude to the indigenous people of the area or just the river).

-Washington Redhawks

I disagree with the premise of this thread that "Redskins" is racist - but if you're going to rebrand the team, it's either got to be Warriors or Redhawks in my book. I think "Minutemen" sounds silly and amateurish, Colonials wouldn't work because there is already the George Washington Colonials in down, and Generals just brings up the image of the patsies that the Harlem Globetrotters beat for years.

Also, changing the colors dramatically at this point would be a kick in the groin to Redskins fans everywhere. As if they haven't suffered enough in the last decade.

I would rename them the Washingtone Pigskins. This way you could even still call the the 'Skins if you wanted to. The term "pigskin" being a nickname for football, the term "hogs" often referring to football linemen and "The Hoggettes" being a particular group of fans of the current Washington Redskins who wear (among other things) costume pig snouts.

I would also keep their current colors of burgundy & gold. There's nothing wrong with either the colors nor the uniform so a change is in that respect is not called for.

I would borrow the warthog logo and helmet design from the defunct Florida Tuskers of the United Football League (UFL) and evolove them slightly, but keeping the snout and tusks on the helmet.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/a0l8o1q53uqjr5lstnxexfocp/Florida_Tuskers/2009/Helmet_Logo

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Warriors is a good replacement, though Washington Potomacs might be neat.

Washington Generals, aside from being that team the Harlem Globetrotters always beat, sounds like a team that would be in a movie about football without the NFL licence.

Washington Colonials might work, but why name your team after a failed UFL team?

I like the name Potomacs and Warriors. I don't really like Redhawks, because I just keep thinking of the game Blitz: The League. As for colors, I might switch the blue to a burgundy, but I like the gold and I really don't want to change that.

Washington Redhawks is a play on the Redskins history and effortlessly rolls off the tongue... unless they sign Mike "Mexico" Vick, that shouldn't be a problem.

:D

I like the name Potomacs and Warriors. I don't really like Redhawks, because I just keep thinking of the game Blitz: The League. As for colors, I might switch the blue to a burgundy, but I like the gold and I really don't want to change that.

Washington Redhawks is a play on the Redskins history and effortlessly rolls off the tongue... unless they sign Mike "Mexico" Vick, that shouldn't be a problem.

Haha, Mexico was unstoppable.

Minutemen doesn't work for me because it's a singular sounding nickname. NBA and NHL have more than enough of those.

Redhawks I dislike because that would be yet another bird team in the NFC (Cardinals, Falcons, Eagles, Seahawks). Also it would be redundant (Seahawks, Redhawks)....

Warriors seems to be the best choice of the three, but keep the team colors as is.

As for the "political incorrectness" of the name, it's a nickname of a football team. How about all of the morally incorrect stuff that has taken place, especially in our nation's capitol for decades. What's next? PETA protesting against names such as Dolphins, Panthers, Jaguars, Lions, Bengals, Bears? I'm Irish, should I take offense with Notre Dame's mascot & nickname? Should I take exception to the Boston Celtics' nickname?

How about people of Norwegian descent? Should they be offended and upset by Vikings?

Should athiests be up in arms about the New Orleans Saints?

Based on reports I've read and heard over the years, many Native Americans are not at all bothered by the term "Redskins" being used for the team. We colonialists screwed the Native Americans out of so much, especially president Andrew Jackson. So to rename the team "Colonials", doing away with the "Redskins" identity would be another slap in the face.

Should the K.C. Chiefs be renamed? The Cleveland Indians? Atlanta Braves? Where does it end? The Mayor of Washington D.C. has many major issues and problems with that city. A sports team's nickname should be very LOW on his list of priorities!

Haha, Mexico was unstoppable.

Not for me... Bruno Romanow... err... Battaglia put him out for the year on the second play for me. :D

Minutemen doesn't work for me because it's a singular sounding nickname. NBA and NHL have more than enough of those.

Redhawks I dislike because that would be yet another bird team in the NFC (Cardinals, Falcons, Eagles, Seahawks). Also it would be redundant (Seahawks, Redhawks)....

Warriors seems to be the best choice of the three, but keep the team colors as is.

As for the "political incorrectness" of the name, it's a nickname of a football team. How about all of the morally incorrect stuff that has taken place, especially in our nation's capitol for decades. What's next? PETA protesting against names such as Dolphins, Panthers, Jaguars, Lions, Bengals, Bears? I'm Irish, should I take offense with Notre Dame's mascot & nickname? Should I take exception to the Boston Celtics' nickname?

How about people of Norwegian descent? Should they be offended and upset by Vikings?

Should athiests be up in arms about the New Orleans Saints?

Based on reports I've read and heard over the years, many Native Americans are not at all bothered by the term "Redskins" being used for the team. We colonialists screwed the Native Americans out of so much, especially president Andrew Jackson. So to rename the team "Colonials", doing away with the "Redskins" identity would be another slap in the face.

Should the K.C. Chiefs be renamed? The Cleveland Indians? Atlanta Braves? Where does it end? The Mayor of Washington D.C. has many major issues and problems with that city. A sports team's nickname should be very LOW on his list of priorities!

Again, I state my case for suspending accounts of members who make the idiotic Notre Dame argument.

Ugh...here we go AGAIN.

"This is the song that never ends..."

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Should the K.C. Chiefs be renamed? The Cleveland Indians? Atlanta Braves?

IMO, yes, yes and yes. Co-opting a culture's heritage to promote a professional sports team is wrong, particularly when there has been substantial opposition to names such as these from First Nation's groups across North America.

When I was a kid I went to a summer camp where all the cabins were named after various First Nations groups (Seneca, Oneida, Cayuga, Huron, etc.). The camp approached local FN groups about the use of these names, and were kindly asked to change the names. The camp complied. It was unfortunate for those of us who had grown up with and were attached to these cabin names, but we got over it and became accustomed to the new names (named after tree species).

Sports teams should be doing the same. Open up a dialogue with FN groups, and if they suggest a name change, then do it. Redskins is the most obvious example, given that it is not only disrespectful, but also terribly racist. We wouldn't stand for a team named the Negroes (or something worse), how is Redskins any different?

With that out of the way, I think maintaining Washington's current colours would be a way to minimize the impact on local fans.

I really like the name Generals

Too close to the USFL New Jersey Generals, owner by Donald Trump. Can you imagine the speed with which a lawsuit would be filed?

The native American tribe who lived in the area was the Conoy along with the Powhatan. Powhatan is a mouthful but the Washington Conoys has a nice ring to it.

Map: http://abagond.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/ca000097.jpg

Archived